• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brand Loyalty or Brand Loyalty to Types of Clothing?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seems to be the place, the forum that could best answer the question....

Hi. Do you think that, for the average man, brand loyalty is to basically any well-known items by the brand or to specific types of clothing with that label? (Like loyalty to Diesel vs. loyalty to Diesel jeans.) To offer you a finding in return that suggests the answer, men are as least as loyal to stores as they are to brands.

(For the sake of disclosure: This is partly for the purpose of a possible client form redesign, to gauge whether or not it is worth asking people about brands when seeking information about their specific pants, shirts, etc., instead of only asking once about brands)

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would guess it is both actually. More of a gray area. As in, to use your example, "I like Diesel clothes but I also like jeans cut X, therefore I am much more likely to get jeans cut X if made by Diesel."

P.s. I own nothing made by Diesel
biggrin.gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Define average. That is an extremely nebulous term.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dont know anything about the average man.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll bite, I like certain brands for certain articles, and some brands I just like, period, excepting certain pieces, of course. An example of the former is Nudie. I really like their jeans - they fit my style and fit well and are pretty durable for a decent price - I even prefer their jeans over jeans that I know are better constructed - but I absolutely hate their clothing - overbranded and unoriginal. An example of the latter is Costume National. I like nearly all their stuff to a greater or lesser degree. Of course, some stuff is just unwearable (like a silk lace up tunic from a few seasons ago.) Of course, I think that certain brands, though I may like their entire lines, are stronger in some areas than others. For example, I think that Costume National is strongest in outerwear, as is Cloak NYC, while Jil cut particularly great suit and shirts, and used the best materials and innovative construction.

I have no idea whether this is helpful to you or not...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'm not too brand loyal, but I am fiercely so towards the ones I deem worthy. There are probably only 2 or 3 that I would say I have any "loyalty" towards. Usually, my consumer preference is on a case by case basis. ie: As much as I can't stand Diesel, I own one shirt that I really like and wear a lot.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again, I am definately a piece by piece kind of guy, and it so happens that some brands arouse my senses from time to time again and again. But I think also, that denim is not what should be used to discern this question, as I think most denim makers are denim makers, not fashion labels. Nudie, Lee, Levis, Sugurcane...most of these are labels that you will see over and over again in denim, but not in anything else (if so, rarely).

People are loyal to stores, I think for convenience. You know that a store carries items that you like, or likely have the propensity to enjoy.

I, like Get Smart it sounds, have a very diverse closet, but most does come from the same places. I do not like much by Diesel as well, but have a couple shirts by them that I really like. I really like shirts by Ra-Re, but only own one.

All this nonesense written...I think for a accurate answer to your query, you will have to do a true market research study (or buy one, as I am sure this has been answered). And this is likley beyond your means.

Most importantly, we here are not the average man, by any stretch when it comes to clothing.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, a good example is Corneliani. I am a bit of a Corneliani whore as I have found that their fit is decent on me, I can get their suits for VERY good prices and they are really well made for the price. Not to say I would not look anywhere else but I do feel like the chances of being happy with a suit increase when I look at Corneliani's wares. Hence, when I see the logo I do stop and check.

To give you an example, while I only own 8 suits, 5 are Corneliani (including a RLBL made by Corneliani and a black blazer).

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I buy things, I buy them from brands that are known for that particular article of clothing. For example: I own a Burberry rain coat, but would never dream of buying a pair of jeans from them. I like Banana Republic tshirts, but wouldn't be caught dead in one of their suits. I (unlike many here) like Diesel jeans, but can't stand the thought of a pair of Diesel shoes. I buy jeans from jeans makers, shoes from shoe makers, outerwear from outerwear makers, and shirts from shirt makers. So, it's more than just being made by a certain brand. It's being a certain category of product (jeans, shoes, etc.) made by a brand known for that particular product.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a really terrible place to try to learn about the average clothing tastes of guys.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Above is v. true. Average, us?

I think that savvy sartorialists know that each designer or line has its strengths. To prove our independence of mind, we generally prize putting our look together from the different makers' components.

I suspect that in the culture of SF/AA, anyone who dressed head to toe in X or Y would be thought a tool. For confirmation, check the 'what are you wearing' thread.

rnrswitch

Reaction score
I myself would love to say that I have no brand loyalty and for the most part I don't have any. I don't see the purpose of being brand loyal. It isn't like the brands are loyal to me. Do they think of my best interests when they put out clothing? I am sure someone could construe this and say yes they do, because brand X is giving me a quality garment at a nice price, but once again they wouldn't be doing it if they weren't getting fat in the process. Me getting a well constructed article of clothing is merely an ancillary benefit. It is like people who say they will only buy levis... no fakes, not even any japanese repros. It has to be Levis and only Levis. Who the hell was Levis thinking of when they chose to shutdown factories and move them overseas? Not joe shmoe american. It was their fat pockets. For me, give me the dartisans, samurais, etc. and remember to leave the red tab and back pocket arcuate on.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
This is a really terrible place to try to learn about the average clothing tastes of guys.
Originally Posted by mack11211
Average, us?
This is a really terrible place to learn not only clothing, but tastes in general of the average guy. i.e How many guys actually order a good beer or nice cocktail these days? Or can discern the flavor behind different types of smokes? In my case, I stick to brands that I - like the look - like the fit - can trust the quality As long as they happen to do reasonably well in the 3 catogeries, I'm sold.

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
I don't quite understand the last part of your post, but I can say that it works the same way as with anyother market segment. This is why companies bother to make their flagship models that probably wont sell. If you make the safest car, your brand will be known as the makers of the safest cars, and therefore someone who is looking to buy a safe car will feel.. safe buying a car from you, even though it might be an entirely different model, that has nothing in common with your flagship model!

So yeah, if the consumer find that a brand makes very good quality shoes, it is likely that he will go to see what that same brand has to offer when he goes shopping for jeans.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, too, find the OP slightly incomprehensible. The delineation of types of loyalty is more vague than the suggested.

The most successful brands create a certain image, which usually includes a style that modulates according to the trends but doesn't change dramatically. For example, the ethos of the slouchy Armani suit, even with higher gorges and waists these days, still exists; D&G have always been (more than) a bit trashy; and so forth. If consumers are loyal to the brand, it is not in the least because they are also loyal to the look of specific garments that create the general style and attitude of the label.

Loyalty to brands also arises from how clothes/shoes from those labels fit on the customers' bodies. This relates to comfort level, another reason why consumers would prefer to shop at certain stores, just as most have their preferred restaurants. Not only are the garments cosseting, so are the service, ambience, locales. I mean that not as in warm and fuzzy or "waiters' worst conduct" comfort, but rather appealing to the customer. Some of us do prefer certain degrees of coldness. Others like Abercrombie & Fitch and pop hooks blasting over the speakers.

I really think it is a small percentage of the population (especially among men) that will ferret out specific pieces of clothing from a variety of labels. Even my female friends who shop literally everyday tend to buy only from the same few places and brands. They are what fit, comfortable, are priced at an expected point (or had for a discount), and available conveniently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads