• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brain Training Software/Apps

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There's no question about it: I'm getting dumber. And at a rapid pace. The drinking doesn't help, does it?

A couple times in recent years I've run across puzzle games etc. that claim to boost brain performance. I suck at remembering names, I can't do brain teasers like I used to, and sometimes I just can't remember things I would have remembered with no problems a few years ago.

Has anyone tried any of these sites/games/apps? I tried BrainAge on the Nintendo DS a few years ago and was appalled to see it rated my brainpower as feeble - this for a guy who thinks he's a pro at little puzzles and such. I've been goofing around with a trial on Lumosity as well.

Any thoughts on these? Anyone used them and found they work? Which ones? Or are they all wet?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dual N-Back exercises are supposed to be fairly helpful.

I have a program for them called Brain Workshop that seemed good although I only had it installed on my work computer and I'm lazy so I have not touched it in a long time.

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
See, this is one of the big advantages of being stupid. I don't have much smarts to lose, at least not as much as the rest of you big-brains.

I did notice that my computational speed had started to tail off, so I eschewed calculators and spreadsheets for a while to remind myself how the ol' 2+2 business works. Seems to be helping again.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are all silly and don't actually help you to think. They do help you solve the puzzles they offer, for whatever that's worth.

Also, memory has little to do with mental acuity.

I suggest studying something that requires a bit of thought. Maybe another language, a natural science, or mathematics.

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

These are all silly and don't actually help you to think. They do help you solve the puzzles they offer, for whatever that's worth.
Also, memory has little to do with mental acuity.
I suggest studying something that requires a bit of thought. Maybe another language, a natural science, or mathematics.

That hits upon a comment I was about to make but decided against.

I think that the best you're going to get from a pre-packaged app is re-training yourself to think in specific ways to solve specific problems. I went through this when I did GMAT review, and to a lesser extent when the Mrs. did her LSAT prep (because she does NOTHING on her own). Post-graduation the GMAT book wouldn't have done much, but 10 years later, it reminded me of some skills I'd let lapse as I started to get more routinized in my thinking.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Analytical ability peaks sometime around your late teens and fades out fast after that. You're not going to get back to where you were, and the entire industry of brain-training is a crock of ****. Not to mention that the idea of spending your free time with that stuff sounds miserable.

Flynn has a new book on this topic Im considering reading. Review below:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444180004578018480061824600.html

IMO, study something you enjoy for the sake of pleasure and stop worrying if youre not a sharp as you used to be. I imagine ********* doesnt get as hard as when you were 19 either. No reason to dwell on it.

zombie

Reaction score
If this means anything to you, I earned my best grades when I played a very unhealthy dose of Brain Age and Photo Hunt every night on my iOS device. But I'm admittedly now in a slump and have the brain age of a ≥ 80 years-old, comatose patient.

zombie

Reaction score
hardy har har.

It's the LIVING dead --- not BRAIN dead.

wink.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

hardy har har.

;)

Well, pretty close, don't you think? I mean, all I ever hear from Zombies is "EAT...BRAINS". Really, not a lot of brain activity going on there.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
hardy har har.

;)

Well, pretty close, don't you think? I mean, all I ever hear from Zombies is "EAT...BRAINS". Really, not a lot of brain activity going on there.

You are what you eat, after all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads