• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bradshaw and Lloyd

katastrofa

Reaction score
I've just found this shoe manufacturer while looking for a new pair of shoes: http://www.bradshawandlloyd.com/

They claim that "all shoes are made with full grain calf leather uppers" and that they're made "entirely in England". If this were true, it would be a steal at £158 (or a return to normalcy...). The collections seem to be quite limited though, only the staple styles are present.

Any experience with this brand?

Edit: it seems that their cheaper shoes are made by Sanders. So just another store brand, it seems...

Last edited:

Pembers

Reaction score
I think the cheaper line is made by Sanders (who also sell shoes under their own name), if that's helpful.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grosvenor collection is made by Sanders, Bench-made collection is made by Tricker's

They are a pleasure to deal with, with quick customer service, and shipping is free within europe.

They also regularly send discount code via email.

Last edited:

Silhouette

Reaction score
Grosvenor collection is made by Sanders, Bench-made collection is made by Tricker's

They are a pleasure to deal with, with quick customer service, and shipping is free within europe.

They also regularly send discount code via email.

This was the reply which I was looking for. However I still wonder why bench-made BSAL sell for £275 when Trickers 1829 sell for £330 at Pediwear.co.uk and Herringshoes.co.uk. Are bench-made BSAL of lesser quality than that of Trickers 1829?

Kind regards,
Johan.

Celadon

Reaction score
This may not be the answer you wanted, but Pediwear includes shoetrees in the price. If you were planning to buy them anyway, the difference in price is only a few pounds.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This was the reply which I was looking for. However I still wonder why bench-made BSAL sell for £275 when Trickers 1829 sell for £330 at Pediwear.co.uk and Herringshoes.co.uk. Are bench-made BSAL of lesser quality than that of Trickers 1829?

Kind regards,
Johan.

I think they are of same standard.

Probably big stores with high volume could have better price from factories for their rebranded shoes.

Fox example Shipton & Heneage is actually selling rebranded C&J shoes for 259 £

Last edited:

Silhouette

Reaction score
I think they are of same standard.

Probably big stores with high volume could have better price from factories for their rebranded shoes.

Fox example Shipton & Heneage is actually selling rebranded C&J shoes for 259 £

Hi again.

That's useful knowledge. Somewhat of a paradox though. We're seeing increased prices in C&J as the brand supposedly "Over the past year, and increasingly during the last 6 months, the demand for Crockett and Jones shoes has grown significantly. This is due to the underlying strength of the brand and the ongoing investments they have been making in product development, marketing and retail worldwide." (http://www.shoesnorthampton.co.uk). Meanwhile prices at the stock Shipton & Heneage offers remain steady and at a lower price (<£300). Had the demand for S&H shoes increased grown significantly, they'd be able to increase their prices by at least some £30-40 and still be cheaper than C&J.

So:
- Why is it that people choose C&J instead of S&H?
- Also, would you concider BSAL to give the best value in brittish shoes at the moment? (£275 for rebranded Trickers).
- Could you supply a link of that £259 C&J rebranded shoe?

Interesting discussion. Excuse me for wall of text.

Kind regards,
Johan.

katastrofa

Reaction score
For me the big difference is that I can try on the C&J shoes in person in London, while when buying online, good fit is a matter of trial and error.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So:
- Why is it that people choose C&J instead of S&H?
- Also, would you concider BSAL to give the best value in brittish shoes at the moment? (£275 for rebranded Trickers).
- Could you supply a link of that £259 C&J rebranded shoe?

Interesting discussion. Excuse me for wall of text.

Kind regards,
Johan. 

Shipton & Heneage have in stock few styles compared to the big C&J range.
But If I am looking for a precise style and S&H have it, I would go with S&H for sure.

These are C&J:

http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/...rogues/albemarle-chestnut-burnished-calf.html
http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/.../winchester-mens-brown-suede-half-brogue.html
http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/...s/winchester-mens-brown-calf-half-brogue.html
http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/...nglish-loafers/wilton-tobacco-suede-calf.html
http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/...afers/cavendish-brown-calf-tassel-loafer.html

Here you can see the Wilton (exclusive style) I purchased (unfortunately I tried two sizes and they don't fit so I returned both)

I am not so familiar with Tricker's 1829 range so I don't know if B&L price is the best price online, but probably it is.

Regards

Last edited:

Silhouette

Reaction score
Shipton & Heneage have in stock few styles compared to the big C&J range.
But If I am looking for a precise style and S&H have it, I would go with S&H for sure.

I am not so familiar with Tricker's 1829 range so I don't know if B&L price is the best price online, but probably it is.

Regards

Hi again.

Excellent reply. Not only do S&H offer better prices but they also carry some interesting alternatives. The Albemarle and Winchester can very well compete with styles such as Drummond, Edgeware and Westbourne. Henceforth I will be vigilant to sales of both S&H and BSAL.

Kind regards,
Johan.

Last edited:

Pembers

Reaction score
When makers like C&J and Tricker's do private label work they use the specifications that their clients ask for.

I've never seen B&L shoes in person and agree with AlexSF that S&H are as good as C&J benchgrade. However, there are C&J-made Cleverley's which are more expensive than Handgrades and also made to higher standards. There is no reason why it shouldn't work the other way, too. Indeed, a few years ago Cheaney were making shoes for Austin Reed which were absolutely atrocious - far worse than anything they have ever sold under their own label.

So, B&L might just represent better value for money; but there's no guarantee of it.

Last edited:

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This may not be the answer you wanted, but Pediwear includes shoetrees in the price. If you were planning to buy them anyway, the difference in price is only a few pounds.

So does B&L, but the picture shows some lower quality shoe trees. Shipping is only 10 GBP. Even with pediwear's 5% return customer discount, it's still a good 26 GBP difference. ~$50 USD

I'd really like to know if they're made to the same specs as regular Tricker's. They're called the same thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics