1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bracelets for men

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, Mar 26, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

What are your opinions on bracelets for men. I sort of like the Tifffany ID bracelet, but I'm not convinced that bracelets might not be a little too much for men, or at least me. What do we think?

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

3. handler4me

handler4me Well-Known Member

The ID bracelets look really odd on men. I saw a guy once wearing one, with matching ECKO shirt and Rocawear jeans [some sight, eh?] well anyways it was quite an interesting sight, and not in a good way.

4. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior Member

Way too much. The only thing on your wrist should be a watch.

5. Lydia

Lydia Senior Member

Much better than a watch. I hate those huge stuffy-looking silver watches from Omega or whatever that every guy who wanted to be a lawyer started wearing in college. A big watch says "I want in with the establishment and don't mind conforming" a bracelet says "I am an individualis, who would just assume subvert the establishment." If you are ambitious and want a good, normal life with kids and cars, go for the watch. If you want to make as spectacle of yourself, go for the bracelet. It's like anything else. The first is standard, the second isn't. Anything not very standard will raise eyebrows in a civilization that has always punished the elements that upset the majority.

6. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

Nice if you are a gipsy, otherwise it is completely TACKY

7. ernest

ernest Distinguished Member

Who told the watch should be huge?

A big watch says "I want in with the establishment and don't mind conforming" a bracelet says "I am an individualis, who would just assume subvert the establishment."

Isn't it all the more a standard way of thinking to make the same conclusion as us but just upset down?

Look at men. Most of them don't care about their watch and many wear bracelets.

These ones who wear bracelets (or any other jewelery) are the ones who wear the hugest watches.

8. DandySF

DandySF Senior Member

I respond negatively to them. My friends don't wear them, my co-workers don't wear them, and my male family members don't wear them. However, in some circles maybe a bracelet is considered an acceptable touch of sparkle for the male wrist. Our preferences are very much shaped by our environment. It would be useful to know the cultural and geographic context in which you would consider wearing a bracelet.

9. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Distinguished Member

I don't like bracelets on men. I agree with Alan about them being to much.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

About the only ones I could consider justifiable would be those that contain necessary medical information if you have some sort of condition that is likely to warrant emergency treatment, and even those look as tacky as hell. Otherwise, I put bracelets--even the muy macho ones made from the tail hairs of an elephant you have personally shot (not altogether uncommon in my world)--in about the same category as neck chains. No thanks.

11. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

I think it's cultural thing. I don't wear them and never would. But it is common for Latin men to wear them, for example. That sounds like a generalization but it's not. I have lived in Latin America almost full time since 1988, and in Puerto Rico, where I live now, it is very common and accepted for men to wear gold bracelets. I've gotten used to it, and don't think it's trashy or "gypsy," (perhaps another term would be urban farmer?) but they are not for me.

12. modsquad

modsquad Senior Member

I like them. I think they look rock n' roll and are a perfectly reasonable ornament.

13. misterbowles

misterbowles Senior Member

Which is worse - Gypsy or Farmer?

14. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I don't think the Tiffany ID bracelet is rock'n'roll. It is really just tacky. Unless you are a rap star or something, don't do it.

If you're younger, you can get away with some of these, but if you have to ask, you probably can't.

15. gorgekko

gorgekko Distinguished Member

Count me on the "no" side. I think they reek of a certain kind of man who wears polyester shirts that are far too unbuttoned.