• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRACE LOVERS - guidance needed

masterphotog

Reaction score
I think I'm ready to take a new direction with my odd trousers - I've often considered braces, but now I'm ready to head to my master tailor and have him start on a pair for me.

Any suggestions on button placement? What is the general practice on waistband button installation, should these be on the inside or outside of the band? Does this depend on the build of the person wearing them or is it more of a personal taste? I think I would like mine on the outside, just for a cleaner feel around the inside of my waistband, but this is new territory and wondering if this is a negligible area of concern. FYI, I'm an average build at 175 lbs @ 5'8" with a 32" waist.

Do you have any recommendations or suggestions on any detailed information that I bring to my tailors attention, or would you simply advise him that these will be worn strictly with braces and let him go from there. I also want to make sure that I can intelligently answer any questions he may have rather than shrugging my shoulders at what could potentially be a good question that I'm not sure about.

Thanks for your help brace guys!!

I'm looking forward to loosing the belt!!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never felt uncomfortable with the braces buttons on the inside of the waistband though I suppose YMMV applies.

You'll get different advice as to whether you should opt for a braces/fishtail back to the trousers to optimise the drape of the cloth, but personally I prefer a regular height waistband. I suppose for suit trousers rather than odd trousers, a fishtail back might make some more sense. Even then, I prefer normal trousers.

You might want to consider adding side-adjusters so you at least have the option of wearing them without braces e.g. if you're not wearing a jacket, just a shirt. If you want this option, go for internal buttons and obviously, you should avoid a fishtail back or it will look exceedingly weird.

Last edited:

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Are you altering a pair of pants, or getting a pair made? This is essential to any details. You are clearly more limited when altering an existing pair.

As for basic details, your buttons should be on the inside. You want any pair of pants with braces to fit loosely, so that the braces can do their job. So you would never notice the buttons. I have side tabs on my pants that have braces, and, when pulled tight with the side tabs, I am still unable to notice the buttons on the inside of my waistband.

I would suggest getting side tabs, as the looser fitting pants will be useless without braces, and the side tabs will allow for some versatility. I'm sure you know this, but just for clarity's sake, avoid the belt loops.

I am also intrigued by the fishtail option, and plan on doing this with the first suit I am able to purchase with a spare pair of pants (one belted, the other fishtailed). May be a bit odd with a pair of odd trousers (just in case you won't be using a coat at all times).

Obviously, your use of these options will be limited if you are altering an existing pair of pants.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Button inside or outside depends on you. Proper fitting pants for braces should NOT be tight around waist, so inside buttons is really not an issue.

Avoid fishback tail unless you don't plan on removing the jacket (i.e., with a tuxedo) otherwise it just looks weird.

Make sure your rise is AT LEAST normal, perhaps even a bit higher than usual. Pants drape better with braces this way.

Buy SIZED braces not not the one-size-fits-all.

masterphotog

Reaction score
I've never felt uncomfortable with the braces buttons on the inside of the waistband though I suppose YMMV applies.

You'll get different advice as to whether you should opt for a braces/fishtail back to the trousers to optimise the drape of the cloth, but personally I prefer a regular height waistband. I suppose for suit trousers rather than odd trousers, a fishtail back might make some more sense. Even then, I prefer normal trousers.

You might want to consider adding side-adjusters so you at least have the option of wearing them without braces e.g. if you're not wearing a jacket, just a shirt. If you want this option, go for internal buttons and obviously, you should avoid a fishtail back or it will look exceedingly weird.

Holdfast, I have considered side-adjusters, but I'm concerned about the trousers looking exceedingly weird without a belt. Infact, this has been my sole 'hangup' on going the beltless route to this point. The vast majority of the time, I'll be with and around people that do not take pride in their clothing as I do. So, should I find myself in a scenario when I lose the jacket or simply where a dress shirt with a side adjuster trouser, will I be noticed in the crowd, dinner, party, cookout as the guy who forgot his belt??

masterphotog

Reaction score
Are you altering a pair of pants, or getting a pair made? This is essential to any details. You are clearly more limited when altering an existing pair.

As for basic details, your buttons should be on the inside. You want any pair of pants with braces to fit loosely, so that the braces can do their job. So you would never notice the buttons. I have side tabs on my pants that have braces, and, when pulled tight with the side tabs, I am still unable to notice the buttons on the inside of my waistband.

I would suggest getting side tabs, as the looser fitting pants will be useless without braces, and the side tabs will allow for some versatility. I'm sure you know this, but just for clarity's sake, avoid the belt loops.

I am also intrigued by the fishtail option, and plan on doing this with the first suit I am able to purchase with a spare pair of pants (one belted, the other fishtailed). May be a bit odd with a pair of odd trousers (just in case you won't be using a coat at all times).

Obviously, your use of these options will be limited if you are altering an existing pair of pants.

Off My Rack - yes, these will be custom made, so I will have some versatility and options when heading to the tailor. I like the idea of side tabs, and no - these will not have loops.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holdfast, I have considered side-adjusters, but I'm concerned about the trousers looking exceedingly weird without a belt.

They shouldn't, if they are made properly. My new suit is being made with buttons and side-adjustors, but no belt loops.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, agreed.

If you will always wear a pair of trousers without braces, then belt loops are better than side adjusters for keeping them at the right height. But if you want to wear them with braces sometimes and without at other times, side-adjusters are the best compromise way of ensuring good fit on the days you skip the braces in my opinion. It doesn't look weird to my eye, but I suppose I'm used to seeing them, which biases my opinion. But even so, I think they look fine.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I find myself in a scenario where I lose the jacket or simply wear a dress shirt with a side adjuster trouser, will I be noticed in the crowd, dinner, party, cookout as the guy who forgot his belt??

Brightly-colored, well-placed Post-It® Brand flag stickers are the fun and practical way to let your neighbor know, "These trousers don't need a belt."

masterphotog

Reaction score
Button inside or outside depends on you. Proper fitting pants for braces should NOT be tight around waist, so inside buttons is really not an issue.
Avoid fishback tail unless you don't plan on removing the jacket (i.e., with a tuxedo) otherwise it just looks weird.
Make sure your rise is AT LEAST normal, perhaps even a bit higher than usual. Pants drape better with braces this way.
Buy SIZED braces not not the one-size-fits-all.

lee_44106, can you give me an example of "SIZED" braces? It seems the places I've searched (Thurston has options for small, medium and large) (Trafalgar doesn't give an option for size, from their classic line up to their limited edition series).

So what in terms of size are you referring to? Width of band, length of suspender or something else I may be missing?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads