• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BR Monogram at $300 or wait

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic currently has a suit style/fabric I've been searching for since January. Navy blue pin stripes, with a double vent and ticket pocket! I get close to 30% off products there so the suit will cost about $300. I know the construction is fused and probably not canvased but what are y'alls thought? I've been searching for another suit for almost 6 months! I haven't been able to find one in my price range or that is to my liking style/cut wise. I've been looking at the BS thread daily since January and haven't found anything. Gilt is too risky since I like to see how the suit looks in person. I mean, even a RL suit 30% off and a Brooks Brothers suit 25% off is still over $700. Thoughts?

oaw01

Reaction score
Valentino roma at overstock.com.$299

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've already answered your own question about construction quality. Having said that, if the suit fits well and it is a style you really like, for $300, how can you go wrong? You have no misconceptions about what you are getting, so I say get the suit and wear it in good health.

My only comment is whether you should think about waiting for their ubiquitous 40% off sales. But if you think there's risk it will sell out, then by all means grab it!

saiyar1

Reaction score
That's really not a bad price. If it's the perfect suit and you've waited, then go ahead.

Sometimes I think we bargain hunters get too caught up in catching the lowest price possible that we don't step back and realize it's a good price for exactly what we want. I've lost several suits in that way that I still regret today. cough:: Polo 2 40r suit in staple navy/charcoal ::cough lol

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
That's really not a bad price. If it's the perfect suit and you've waited, then go ahead.

Sometimes I think we bargain hunters get too caught up in catching the lowest price possible that we don't step back and realize it's a good price for exactly what we want. I've lost several suits in that way that I still regret today. cough:: Polo 2 40r suit in staple navy/charcoal ::cough lol

The polo suits are awesome however, the retail for $1399+ in the Polo stores and even with about 45% off they are still almost $800 after tax and thats before alterations. Same with Brooks Brothers, they retail for $998 and then with 25% off (which is the most I've seen since January) the suits are still almost $800 before alterations. The other options are like Hugo Boss but then you pay $300-400 for the name.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been happy with the fit of the few BR monogram products I've had and $300 isn't bad at all. I think those suits are closer to $6-700 at MSRP, so I'm assuming you're stacking the 30% off on top of a current sale? If you need a suit, like that suit and have $300 then why not? It's not something I'd buy "just to have" but if it fills a specific void then I'd say go for it.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
You've already answered your own question about construction quality. Having said that, if the suit fits well and it is a style you really like, for $300, how can you go wrong? You have no misconceptions about what you are getting, so I say get the suit and wear it in good health.

My only comment is whether you should think about waiting for their ubiquitous 40% off sales. But if you think there's risk it will sell out, then by all means grab it!

I second this. I'm wearing a BR Monogram suit today. Had it about 3 months and have been happy with it. If it fits well then go for it. Unless you're working for an investment bank in NYC I'll go out on a limb and say 99.8% of people won't know it's fused.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads