• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Boy do I need advice on slacks...

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am really hoping that you can lend me your wisdom. Here's the deal: I just switched careers, leaving academia for a professional government post where I will be working in an office each day. This means no more dressy jeans and chinos for me... As I work my way through the stores, I came to realize two things: 1) I know very little about how slacks ought to fit (and what issues can and cannot be fixed by a tailor); and 2) that most slacks don't fit me well because I have big hips and big thighs and bum from years of playing lacrosse.

I have purchased a bunch of slacks that seem reasonable, and I'm hoping to get your take on them. Once I narrow down which ones have a good fit (understanding that some alterations are in order), I'll purchase more and head to the tailor. I promise, I'll pay your help forward once I learn a bit more about pants!

Below is a breakdown of each pair that I bought, followed by labeled photos. Thank you - Michael!!!
  1. Brooks Brothers Regent 1818
  2. Neiman Marcus Traditional Fit
  3. Zanella Donnie
  4. Theory Cody2
  5. Lauren Ralph wool/cashmere mix flat front
  6. Lauren Ralph Lauren classic fit ultra flex
1) Brooks Brothers Regent 1818

7tZgJmvkSN6PSsFBdPV+GQ.jpg9HYXOYhVT4OqkN9OTbz0sA.jpg UrVJ3NnGT5OsHaYjDLSjXA.jpg

2) Neiman Marcus Traditional Fit

rHTMRelATsiwp8HpZJ9DzQ.jpg R5ulazeJR8a04NQcVAoIsA.jpgjxRzwWQVSMyWBofbsPC+iA.jpg8uTlhflYTDqkPzbuOGiEIQ.jpg

3) Zanella Donnie

6EeQGzA9R1CmB7cN4EU2pA.jpg PUt7AAh1RamMaX9cPkXkoQ.jpgE70a0GfRSOabrkOKmT3N4g.jpgxHYW4tfzTX2eGN7zBdpdQA.jpg
(looks like a different pant but it's just the lighting. This is useful because there is some wrinkling in the first rear photo from bringing them home).

4) Theory Cody2
CTIPnfQGT7iTuE+asrZ6KA.jpg O2P9G0nGRG+VABYPcS%lbQ.jpg A%vNb4FNQg26AI0DDkwnpQ.jpg

5) Lauren Ralph wool/cashmere mix flat front

%r084WKmScWjXhaugvXvuQ.jpgRGiuTLQ8Tougx%QdR5ipPA.jpg
(I accidentally deleted the rear photo on these but it looked good.)

6) Lauren Ralph Lauren classic fit ultra flex

OYJ+u7aZS7yJIQYc8Td43A.jpgsoC87g6jSriJQPxUHAGTMg.jpg1nt5v0wiS16kGeoEMADkLw.jpg

Thanks again!!!!!!!
Michael

Attachments

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 or 5, because the others definitely are too small. Probably 5, because 2 is much too long, necessitating tailoring.

Anachronist

Reaction score
2 looks best to me regarding fit. Wouldn't worry about the price of having the length adjusted. This shouldn't cost a fortune (15-20 bucks max if you bring it to a tailor), often this is included in the pri e when you buy an unhemmed trouser.

Featured Sponsor

WHAT'S THE MAX NUMBER OF SHIRT BUTTONS YOU'LL UNDO BEFORE FEELING OUT OF PLACE?

• Just the collar button is enough for me.

• Two, including the collar button.

• Three, including the collar button.

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.