• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boxing vs Crossfit?

jase12

Reaction score
Looking to join a gym. I want one that will provide me with a bit of motivation to push myself and stay committed. Would you guys recommend a boxing gym or crossfit? or any other suggestions? not interested in MMA as i'm in australia and every bogan man and his dog thinks he is tito ortiz

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Crossfit will obviously give you a more well rounded and full body workout. You also don't have to get punched if you choose to become competitive in it. So there you go.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ever see a tubby boxer? 

lefty

There are people who, for whatever reason, train in boxing and don't get into good shape. Same with Crossfit. There are a number of factors that could lead to this from commitment level, to diet, to even a certain extent genetics.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I go to a boxing gym that also has a crossfit club and crossfit gear. I find boxing a lot of fun, so I do a lot of boxing stuff, aside from the things that I do that I don't particularly enjoy for fitness (running, swiming, streatching). if you think that you will enjoy boxing, start with boxing and see if you can find a boxing gym that has some crossfit elements (I really think that it is more common now). I can't imagine people really having fun with crossfit, but that is me. but if you don't enjoy it, will you keep at it for years? see what you like first

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I go to a boxing gym that also has a crossfit club and crossfit gear. I find boxing a lot of fun, so I do a lot of boxing stuff, aside from the things that I do that I don't particularly enjoy for fitness (running, swiming, streatching). if you think that you will enjoy boxing, start with boxing and see if you can find a boxing gym that has some crossfit elements (I really think that it is more common now). I can't imagine people really having fun with crossfit, but that is me. but if you don't enjoy it, will you keep at it for years? see what you like first

I do Crossfit and other then the pains I sometimes get from the workouts, I have a good time. I can see how someone would find boxing more fun, but it really depends on your gym, the trainers and even the crowd that works out with you. Mine happens to be great, yet I know people who have had bad Crossfit experiences. Not all Crossfits (like any gym franchise) are created equal.

EDIT: Agree that trying both would be a good idea. Most gyms will let you work out with them one or two times before signing up. Also while I can't speak for any boxing gyms, I know most Crossfits do month to month memberships so you can get out if you are not happy.

Last edited:

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slmhwx.gif

Sorry, couldn't help it. :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looking to join a gym. I want one that will provide me with a bit of motivation to push myself and stay committed. Would you guys recommend a boxing gym or crossfit? or any other suggestions? not interested in MMA as i'm in australia and every bogan man and his dog thinks he is tito ortiz

That's interesting. George Sotiropolous, a pretty good UFC fighter. who's had some bad luck, trains around here. Aroiund my neck of the woods, the MMA and BJJ communities are pretty tight knit, and people don't really talk much about it otherwise. Maybe it's a western USA thing. Do it, but shut your mouth.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ever see a tubby boxer? 

lefty

by SF standards, I am morbidly obese. when I started boxing the second time (at 40) I was very fat. I've lost a lot of weight but I still carry more weight than I would like. but you have a very valid point, a standard boxing group class relies heavily on cardio, interviles and sprints, it is hard not to lose a lot of weight. also, the heavier you are the slower you move, the more you get hit. you have a solid incentive to move faster.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boxers own the market in overall conditioning and cutting weight. Having the confidence to defend yourself should it ever come to fisticuffs is a beneficial skill. Being able to take a punch in the face (most men's greatest fear) is character building. And they don't name their exercises "Susie."

Everything works if you stick to it so the decision should be based on what turns your crank.

lefty

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do both. Boxing is incredible exercise, but if you are looking to gain muscle, a bit of lifting will be necessary. Boxers usually aren't looking to gain muscle as it may put them in a different weight class.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Do both. Boxing is incredible exercise, but if you are looking to gain muscle, a bit of lifting will be necessary. Boxers usually aren't looking to gain muscle as it may put them in a different weight class.

That could be prohibitively expensive. Have you ever priced a Crossfit before? If he really wants both types of workouts then he might do best to find a boxing gym like GT mentioned that mixes in some Crossfit stuff.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ever see a tubby boxer? 

Brian Nielsen former heavyweight champion

If you can live with the hate try CF, it's a great workout and there's usually a lot of cute girls in very little clothing. :inlove:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads