• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boxers with dress pants

Boxers8

Reaction score
Anyone here wear boxers on a regular basis with dress pants? Have two decent pairs of Hugo Boss dress pants that I got altered two years ago when I still wore briefs - look good, modern. Switched to JCrew boxers a year ago and now the dress pants ride uncomfortably up my rear. Have an older pair of not-so-nice Men's Warehouse dress pants, but they are extremely comfortable with boxers - but, they cost about as much as a cheap pair of swim trunks from Wal-Mart and look like it too.

Suggestions? Do certain dress pants fit better with boxers? Should the boxers be switched from JCrew? Thought about a trim-cut boxer (CK makes one) Oddly, I don't have this discomfort with jeans (even fairly close fitting Seven jeans).

Appreciate any advice.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wear boxers with dress pants. Never had a problem.

But I also don't wear pants that are so "slim" it crushes my manhood.

Boxers8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
I always wear boxers with dress pants. Never had a problem.

But I also don't wear pants that are so "slim" it crushes my manhood.

Thanks, what brand dress pants? Unfortunately I wear a size 36 suit (size 29-30 pants), and the smallest suit most shops carry is a 38, meaning the waist inevitably needs to be taken in, which of course takes the seam down the middle of the back of the pants in as well.

Do you know of brands of dress pants/suit in size 36 (size 29-30 pants) that are roomier than the slim fits?

Thanks again.

Dewi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boxers8
Thanks, what brand dress pants? Unfortunately I wear a size 36 suit (size 29-30 pants), and the smallest suit most shops carry is a 38, meaning the waist inevitably needs to be taken in, which of course takes the seam down the middle of the back of the pants in as well.

Do you know of brands of dress pants/suit in size 36 (size 29-30 pants) that are roomier than the slim fits?

Thanks again.

I'm a similar body size to you it seems. I wear a 36R with a bit of tailoring, and have a bigger waist than the standard Drop 6 (32). I just go to a tailor and have my suits made by him these days. Before that, I had to do suit separates for OTR. :shudder:

If I were you, I'd make nice with a tailor. I did, and haven't looked back.

jays978

Reaction score
Boxer briefs..anything baggier is a problem for me.

Boxers8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jays978
Boxer briefs..anything baggier is a problem for me.

Boxer briefs inevitably ride up my thighs, no matter how tight (with the exception of the underarmour 9 inch inseam boxer briefs, but with those, don't really like the oily synthetic feel). Tried several styles of boxer briefs; just can't do it.

Boxers8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewi
I'm a similar body size to you it seems. I wear a 36R with a bit of tailoring, and have a bigger waist than the standard Drop 6 (32). I just go to a tailor and have my suits made by him these days. Before that, I had to do suit separates for OTR. :shudder:

If I were you, I'd make nice with a tailor. I did, and haven't looked back.

Thanks, sounds pricey, but if that's what it takes, then oh well.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score

Thanks again.

Are you trying to wear 38's? Wearing a suit isn't "buy size closest available to yours!" You actually should try to buy your size....

Boxers8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
Are you trying to wear 38's? Wearing a suit isn't "buy size closest available to yours!" You actually should try to buy your size....

Right, but usually all I can find are 38s. Brooks Brothers, for instance, tends to have more classic fitting (i.e., roomier) suits, but, at least on their website, 38 is the smallest they have. Do you know of good suits that both (a) have a more classic fit; and (b) come in size 36 (with size 29-30 pants)?

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
Right, but usually all I can find are 38s. Brooks Brothers, for instance, tends to have more classic fitting (i.e., roomier) suits, but, at least on their website, 38 is the smallest they have. Do you know of good suits that both (a) have a more classic fit; and (b) come in size 36 (with size 29-30 pants)?

Brooks definitely have smaller in their actual stores. RL Polo, also. What's your price range? The internet's a safe place to start. Lastly, just addressing pants, you can shorten the inseam at the very least for the sake of your crotch.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer boxer/briefs but I don't see why it really matters what you wear under your dress pants since your the only one who knows and it all about being comfortable in what your wearing.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you need specialized underwear for different outfits, something is desperately wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads