• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Box Seat Etiquette

doink

Reaction score
I probably should have asked this earlier, but better late than never.

I went to a sporting event this week and had box seats for the first time and am expecting that this will be a common part of my job. The box I was in the attendant never let my drink run dry, brought us food, took our coats and hung them up and other things to make us feel welcome.

I am wondering what the etiquette with respect to tipping the attendant of the box is and what the etiquette is about tipping and any other things I should know?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Collegiate or professional sports event? In my experience tipping is expected and encouraged for suites at professional games; however, the suite holder usually provides the tip. For collegiate suites/box seats, tipping by guests is not expected. With that said, I have no doubt that it would be appreciated if you slipped a server a generous tip, especially if you plan to return. They will remember and treat you even better in the future.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Collegiate or professional sports event? In my experience tipping is expected and encouraged for suites at professional games; however, the suite holder usually provides the tip. For collegiate suites/box seats, tipping by guests is not expected. With that said, I have no doubt that it would be appreciated if you slipped a server a generous tip, especially if you plan to return. They will remember and treat you even better in the future.

+1... not expected... but always appreciated.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, for an instant, I thought this thread was about boat sex etiquette. A bit of a let-down, really.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like everything else... act like you've been there before and that you belong.

As for tipping, the holder usually does, but in my experience some have been cheap (shhhh) or strategically disappear from time to time. I usually slip a $20, after all, it's cheaper than a cheap seat ticket.

doink

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The firm I works for gets the same box 4-5 times a year, so having a server that likes you is a benefit.

em36

Reaction score
This sounds like a corporate box. Regardless of the event, and if you are the primary user/host, you will at some point sign something that shows a breakdown of products rendered. Tip as you would at a restaurant, 15 - 20%, onto the bill.

If you are the one being hosted, the host is not present, and the attendant has been very helpful, discreetly slip some cash.

VeeArSix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
You know, for an instant, I thought this thread was about boat sex etiquette. A bit of a let-down, really.
me too. had to do a double take at the topic to make sure.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread is about Opera-box etiquette.
So far it has been a real disappointment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads