• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowties

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had requests to do a couple bowties each time we do a tie pattern and we're doing so I need a little help. I only wear'm when I'm wearing a tux so those who wear them regularly need to offer some wisdom. Below is a scan of two styles, I'm favoring the one on the left. I'm also favoring keeping them simple and classic without adjustment buckles etcetera. Need a few bowtie fans opinions. What sort of dimensions do you like? Do you care if they are adjustable or do you prefer to handle that when tying them???? Much obliged.
bowties.jpg

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I think the "your text here" on the tie on the left is kinda tacky. Seriously though, never worn a bowtie, and really just don't like them, so nothing to contribute to the thread. Sorry.
sad.gif
Dan

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about some pocket squares instead of the bowties?

A purely selfish request, since I don't wear bowties.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Squares I know :) Bowties I don't ...hence the question.

These are not, I repeat NOT what I plan to pay for the little one's college with ...more of a courtesy to some of my customers who like a bowtie from time to time. I'll likely wear one once as I am a staunch believer in the old "eat yer own dogfood" premise... but when I do I want it to be a damned fine bowtie...

Squares are handled :)

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patterns: Too conservative. Too boring. May I refer you to PimpDaddy.com for some more exciting ideas?

Shape: No shape. Shape Boring. May I refer you to Kabbaz Shirtmakers for some more exciting shapes.

I like the text idea. Perhaps you could print "Directions for Tying" there.

Other than that, both ties are swell.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another guy who never wears bowties but wants to talk anyway. I thought that most who wear bowties are somehow trad (stereotype of the Ivy League professor). So wouldn't the dots on the right be more appealing to most of them (I'm thinking the tie on the right is updated Winston Churchill white dot on navy bowtie). Just a thought.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ckarification. Pattern of silk irrelevant, pattern as pertains to shape relevant.

...May end up scrapping this idea and just handmaking them from leftovers when requested. LOL.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How can you adjust while tying? I don't know that that's possible. The only one I have, a Robert Talbott I happened upon at a thrift shop, has a slider thing to adjust it. Some others I've found have buckles. None are without an adjuster. I like the shape on the left better, but I may never actually wear one for the rest of my life, for all I know.

Tyto

Reaction score
Hi, Chuck: I actually wear them, and I definitely prefer the classic butterfly shape on the left, though yours looks as if it has a bit less of a waist than I'm used to seeing, or maybe it simply curves less from tip to waist. IIRC, my ties are typically 2 1/2" at their widest, and probably 1 1/4 inches at the waist.

All the best,

---Tyto

stache

Reaction score
If you don't want to make the ties adjustable, you will have to make them to size for the clients. Thin fabrics are better to tie.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you'll get a much more comprehensive response over at the "Is this Trad?" Forums. Style Forum isn't so much a bowtie crowd. We're more an ascot-and-monocle crowd. PS What patterns are in store for the next round of 7-folds? Any more giant herringbone? Polka dots?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well said, Nick. G'day.
crochunterjustinsullivan23ye.jpg
Once again, on behalf of Australia, I'd like to formally apologize for the above. We really did try and stop him, but he's quite wily.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another guy who never wears bowties but wants to talk anyway. I thought that most who wear bowties are somehow trad (stereotype of the Ivy League professor). So wouldn't the dots on the right be more appealing to most of them (I'm thinking the tie on the right is updated Winston Churchill white dot on navy bowtie). Just a thought.
My thoughts exactly. An updated Winston with some texture. Not bad. The one the left would look pretty awful as bowtie, I reckon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads