1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bowties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Carlo, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

I've had requests to do a couple bowties each time we do a tie pattern and we're doing so I need a little help. I only wear'm when I'm wearing a tux so those who wear them regularly need to offer some wisdom. Below is a scan of two styles, I'm favoring the one on the left. I'm also favoring keeping them simple and classic without adjustment buckles etcetera. Need a few bowtie fans opinions. What sort of dimensions do you like? Do you care if they are adjustable or do you prefer to handle that when tying them???? Much obliged. [​IMG]

2. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

I think the "your text here" on the tie on the left is kinda tacky. Seriously though, never worn a bowtie, and really just don't like them, so nothing to contribute to the thread. Sorry. [​IMG] Dan

3. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

How about some pocket squares instead of the bowties?

A purely selfish request, since I don't wear bowties.

4. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Squares I know :) Bowties I don't ...hence the question.

These are not, I repeat NOT what I plan to pay for the little one's college with ...more of a courtesy to some of my customers who like a bowtie from time to time. I'll likely wear one once as I am a staunch believer in the old "eat yer own dogfood" premise... but when I do I want it to be a damned fine bowtie...

Squares are handled :)

5. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Patterns: Too conservative. Too boring. May I refer you to PimpDaddy.com for some more exciting ideas?

Shape: No shape. Shape Boring. May I refer you to Kabbaz Shirtmakers for some more exciting shapes.

I like the text idea. Perhaps you could print "Directions for Tying" there.

Other than that, both ties are swell.

6. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Another guy who never wears bowties but wants to talk anyway. I thought that most who wear bowties are somehow trad (stereotype of the Ivy League professor). So wouldn't the dots on the right be more appealing to most of them (I'm thinking the tie on the right is updated Winston Churchill white dot on navy bowtie). Just a thought.

7. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Ckarification. Pattern of silk irrelevant, pattern as pertains to shape relevant.

...May end up scrapping this idea and just handmaking them from leftovers when requested. LOL.

8. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I only wear them with a dinner jacket.

But I'd buy half a dozen neckerscarves if you were to cut them.

Will

9. j

j Senior member Admin

How can you adjust while tying? I don't know that that's possible. The only one I have, a Robert Talbott I happened upon at a thrift shop, has a slider thing to adjust it. Some others I've found have buckles. None are without an adjuster. I like the shape on the left better, but I may never actually wear one for the rest of my life, for all I know.

10. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

Hi, Chuck: I actually wear them, and I definitely prefer the classic butterfly shape on the left, though yours looks as if it has a bit less of a waist than I'm used to seeing, or maybe it simply curves less from tip to waist. IIRC, my ties are typically 2 1/2" at their widest, and probably 1 1/4 inches at the waist.

All the best,

---Tyto

11. stache

stache Senior member

If you don't want to make the ties adjustable, you will have to make them to size for the clients. Thin fabrics are better to tie.

12. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I think you'll get a much more comprehensive response over at the "Is this Trad?" Forums. Style Forum isn't so much a bowtie crowd. We're more an ascot-and-monocle crowd. PS What patterns are in store for the next round of 7-folds? Any more giant herringbone? Polka dots?

13. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

14. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

[​IMG] Once again, on behalf of Australia, I'd like to formally apologize for the above. We really did try and stop him, but he's quite wily.

15. Horace

Horace Senior member

My thoughts exactly. An updated Winston with some texture. Not bad. The one the left would look pretty awful as bowtie, I reckon.

16. Horace

Horace Senior member

I actually like the idea of printed tie directions (in text or in figures) on a bowtie, both sides.

17. Horace

Horace Senior member

Some also have buttons.

18. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

I think this did answer my question. It's rare enough that I have someonw who wants a bowtie so I will save a bit of silk from each pattern and allow folks to request a bowtie in the shape/length they want. Sewing a bowtie is well with in my abilities in cutting and sewing. I didn't train at A&S but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

..forthcoming patterns - Yes there some polka dots, there are some giant herringbones (we call'm stairsteps), some stripes, some paisleys, some solids, several more cashmere/silk blends, some medallions... there are going to be 42-45 patterns in this release depending on a few that can't be done that our weaver is attempting anyway.

I'm looking forward to the show because there are some silks in this batch I need others to hold and examine in order to describe them well. Some of these silks (especially for the unlined 7's) are incredibly dense - like 220-250 picks/cm dense so that you can rub a fingernail back and forth without snagging them. We found a new weaver for some of these and he is just what I've been after - a guy with decades of experience in the largest Como mills who was sick, tired and frustrated with being restrained by price and practicality concerns who had some fabulous ideas for us. Some silks you see these days are literally run off in lengths of thousands of meters per day. Some of these take a couple hours to do a meter. All silks are naturally hand dyed, hand finished etcetera. We're holding our breath on the subjective aspects (is it pretty) but on the technical side this is easily our best work to date. Jill has (IMHO) a fabulous eye for mixing colors in interesting ways (using a different colored warp to bring out certain effects when it bends) and she had a lot of fun with some of these. I will be flying to Italy from the 26th to the 1st to pick up everything and bring it back. We'll do photography/editing on the 1st and 2nd and on the 4th we'll flip the switch on the rewrite of the website.

Apologies on the website - we're redoing everything and fixing some broken links between our shipping/payment system. I discovered about 8 more orders last night that had disappeared into the system so I need to do some "Sorry." notes and packing today. We're also setting up to take credit cards directly and other minor things since some dislike paypal. ... now my main problem is hiring help, working on that. Demand kinda outgrew us (good problem) but we can't slip up because of it.

We'll run some show specials the weekend of the 4th.