• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowtie for law firm interview?

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leverandon
Hey guys,

I'm interviewing for a law firm summer associateship position at a firm's Birmingham, Alabama office. I was thinking of wearing a bowtie to the interview. I am a regular bowtie wearer, but I usually wear them to church, parties, or casual Friday...not interviews. However, I was thinking that it might give me a little Southern style. I'm not from Alabama but in this legal market I'm applying all over and taking what I can get. Is the bowtie too goofy for an interview? Thoughts?

You answered your own question. Interviews ≠ Church parties + Casual Friday. Pretty logical right? You want the interviewer to focus on you and not your neck...

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ONLY time it's questionably okay to wear a bowtie to a law firm interview would be to (I can't remember the name) this one law firm where they traditionally wear bow ties for photo ops. It may show that you bothered to learn their firm's history.

Even under that scenario it's risky.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm interviewing for a law firm summer associateship position at a firm's Birmingham, Alabama office. I was thinking of wearing a bowtie to the interview. I am a regular bowtie wearer, but I usually wear them to church, parties, or casual Friday...not interviews. However, I was thinking that it might give me a little Southern style. I'm not from Alabama but in this legal market I'm applying all over and taking what I can get. Is the bowtie too goofy for an interview? Thoughts?

I dunno, man... is that you in your avatar photo? If so, I think the bow tie would do just fine, especially given that you're interviewing in the Deep South.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I dunno, man... is that you in your avatar photo? If so, I think the bow tie would do just fine, especially given that you're interviewing in the Deep South.

Pat don't play that. And there was little love lost for him in the South.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I figured so and I wouldn't even consider it in a different legal market, I just wondered if an old Southern law firm might appreciate the nod to days gone. I'll play it safe and pull out one of my standby conservative interview ties.
Good move.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would not bother me if I were interviewing you. I would actually comment that I like the bow. However, I get strange looks and comments here at my office when I wear a bow, and I have been working here for over 4 years.

So, chances are it is safer to wear a regular tie. Of course, playing it safe will never get you anywhere in life...especially in this profession.

Mike

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
Agree with all of the above. It's a bad idea. Dress well but also dress to fit in...until you're actually hired. Otherwise that is all you will be remembered for.
^True. They remember me at the firm where Woe works when I interviewed there 2 years ago, all because of a pocket square. It was a white TV fold. Note that I was not offered a job.
lol8[1].gif

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of misconception of the south do you have?

courty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
It would not bother me if I were interviewing you. I would actually comment that I like the bow. However, I get strange looks and comments here at my office when I wear a bow, and I have been working here for over 4 years.

So, chances are it is safer to wear a regular tie. Of course, playing it safe will never get you anywhere in life...especially in this profession.

Mike

It would not bother me either. I may even have hired someone who interviewed in a bowtie when I worked at an Old Southern law firm. That said, play it safe for the interview - bland even. Save the bowtie until you are hired.

mic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
^True. They remember me at the firm where Woe works when I interviewed there 2 years ago, all because of a pocket square. It was a white TV fold.

Note that I was not offered a job.
lol8[1].gif

Holy crap. Listen to this man. I love bow ties and wear them fairly often, but I wouldn't even think of wearing one to an interview. Unless it was for a job as a clown.

Alan B.

Reaction score
Go for it! You need to set yourself apart from the crowd and show a bit of personality. It's a gamble but one I've taken many times with usually good results.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have to ask; play it safe.

I know one gentleman who exclusively wears bowties. And has never had trouble with jobs and such. But, he went to a top undergrad, a solid law school, and had solid achievements and grades at both. He was a candidate that would be desirable in any economy.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regular tie = Law firm interview
Bow-tie = Cockfight

markdc

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I worked at a Birmingham law firm for a summer, actually. I definitely saw them around quite a bit during summer of 2006, but I'm not sure I'd wear them to the interview. If you land the job, definitely feel free to go for it, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads