• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowtie Comeback - How Big?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen more bowties in fashion magazines - even the fantastic watch magazine supplement that compliments the latest issue of Wallpaper magazine. What are your opinions about how far the popularity of bowties will go? I'm most interested in the US but an international prediction is fine, too. Does anyone see it getting to the point where the "average joe on the street" will wear bowties again, such as they did in, say, the 1940s and '50s? There was a comeback in the early-to-mid '70s but I don't think it went that far.
It's difficult to imagine any comeback involving mostly clip-ons but I suppose if the popularity rose that much many sold and worn would be that type. But if men can learn to tie a long tie they can tie the bows. I recently learned myself after all these years though it still is a bit tricky....
Right now I have only a few bowties (each acquired originally for formalwear) but dozens of four-in-hands. I enjoy all the patterns, colors, effects.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
For a professional business environment I don't feel that bow ties are appropriate considering that they leave so much open space between your neck and the top button of your jacket; in my opinion it's almost like not wearing a tie at all.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're costume, and costume doesn't come back. And as far as the 'average joe in the street' is concerned, we're never going to see him wearing a tie again, let alone a bowtie.

WestIndianArchie

Reaction score
They're fairly common in Washington DC.

It's so common, imo, that it doesn't give off the "professor" vibe.

dinted voice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WestIndianArchie
They're fairly common in Washington DC.

It's so common, imo, that it doesn't give off the "professor" vibe.

I hope there is not a big comeback. This is not because I don't like them, but I do enjoy the surprised looks and compliments I get when I wear mine. I only wear one maybe once every few weeks for a change of pace, and no I won't buy a clipon.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is now getting into the "image" thing, and that's fine. I guess when I say "average joe in the street" I'm saying that sporting a bowtie would be so popular that many, many types of men would wear them and any strong stereotypes would go by the wayside. Right now around Cleveland I mainly notice them only in fashion-conscious magazines, with the occasional exception of some older men who dress distinctively in general (or men dressed formally, of course; that's a whole different ballgame. Even then the four-in-hands have gotten so common in recent years).

khaki sack

Reaction score
Believe me Average Joe will wear a bow tie ,if he has to. There's a lot to be said for maintaining standards by ,force or theat of force.
devil.gif

Originally Posted by letmebefell
They're costume, and costume doesn't come back. And as far as the 'average joe in the street' is concerned, we're never going to see him wearing a tie again, let alone a bowtie.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed many younger gents sporting the bow-ties again. They tend to be the smaller RLRugby sorts.

I will wear a bow to the office once a week or once every two weeks when i wanna mix things up a bit.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bow ties are nearly as bad as hats. Ugh! With dinner jacket, yes, but even Tucker Carlson has given up the look.

smile.gif

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least in my precincts, I've noticed an upswing in bow tie wearers. One day, in fact, on my lunch walk, I noticed four gents sporting the bow.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I usually see about 4-5 bows a day and have for some time. No real increase on the street that I've been able to discern. I think that most of the men I see wearing them are lawyers who can pull off the Atticus Finch/Southern Lawyer image.

I don't really understand all the hate for bow ties. I don't wear them often, but do from time to time and have all my life. Just another tool in the chest, IMO.

MichaelE

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear one myself.

They remind me too much of Howard Sprague.
lol8[1].gif

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelE
They remind me too much of Howard Sprague.
lol8[1].gif

Howard Sprague was a smooth operator.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads