1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bowler Hats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dandy Wonka, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

That's what the block feature is for. Use it. I do.

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

That's not a grammatical error, that's a different statement. You have now changed your argument and yet you are still attacking everyone without any apparent sense of self-reflection or shame, let alone a real apology. I can only conclude that if you are not malicious, perhaps you just aren't intelligent or patient enough to understand the substance of discussions, but you certainly seem to have some issues with self-control and manners.

I gave you a chance but it's time for the block list again.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  3. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

The difference between attacking and defending is dependent on who throws the first stone. i post pics to back up any statements made. the trends are changing, same as we went from thin lapels to fat lapels and back again. -hats are a staple, including bowlers. which also makes them a staple. even if more so in sw&d.

FM, shame that. i pm'd you with a full apology. and an introduction. in the hopes of getting on level ground with each other. being so close, and with similar interests. we should get along well in the real world.

4. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

I don't think the problem is with having enough intelligence or understanding - rather, it's a mixture of narcissism, arrogance and enough intelligence to delude himself in the righteousness of his convictions. This entire thread he has been doing nothing except to attack imagined strawmen and phantoms instead of providing relevant counters to what anyone has actually said, not because he doesn't understand it (I find people here particularly lucid), but rather because he fancies himself as the lone light of nonconformist fashion riding against the oppressors of the CM forum. Thus, there is an inherent need to stand up to the man, no matter what the man is actually saying. There is no need to argue against this type of person - whatever you say, he will twist and misconstrue it so that he may continue the fight, instead of admitting that the iron-fisted CM dictators might have actually had a point.

3 people like this.
  5. steveabdn

steveabdn Senior member

To be fair I just thin 38R is missing the point of the word "Classic" in the title of the forum. Yes the overall forum is called Styleforum however this particular forum is for discussing styles that pre-date the internet rather than the latest fad

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Put him on block. He's the only person on my list, which I think is a shame, as he seems to be a good guy and probably a decent fellow to have a beer with. He's to An Acute Style and Tira as Alex Jones is to reasonable doubt, also unfortunate.

This side of the forum needs more people like AAS, Tira, and Labelking. It's a shame that 38R can't see the difference between what they do and he does. I actually don't mind that he dressed what in a way that many on here, on either side of the forum, would consider poorly. What one wears has no bearing on the validity of their argument. But he takes the case to an extreme and makes it poorly.

More should be done to force us to question the assumptions we make about what we wear. Ironically, Flyingmonkey is probably one of the members best suited to do this intellectually. (On that note, FM, that loose flowing gray look you posted in SW&D was awesome).

Whenever I read one of 38R's posts, I felt the need to respond because there is both a grain of the truth in them and because there was a heathy and productive middle ground to be explored. In the end, it wasn't worth it--he's as willing to explore some middle ground as Foo or Manton is. Which is to say, not at all.

To the OP:

Depending on your age, I think it could work. The older you are, the more internally consistent it is. I also think it works on Claymore well enough; he'd certainly stand out as an eccentric, but he wouldn't look bad doing it. His outfits are heavy/layered and he appears to have a fairly large chest, providing good balance to the hat.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  7. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

personal differences aside, Great post. i don't want to taint this one with debate. we are different. and i would like to share a beer with you some day, Flying monkey too.

i have large shoulders for my size, also providing balance. happy to debate the middle ground in real life when we can communicate better than with plain text. btw, i have thought to block you, but also see some truth in your posts. so i didn't block you.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

9. Mr. Claymore

Mr. Claymore Senior member

What "fun" this thread turned into. Wearing my black bowler today so I figured I'd venture back into the fray. Didn't anyone care that I had to have it re-blocked???

Can we ALL agree that a bowler may be a "classic" hat and a "staple" in the pantheon of head wear but due to the fact that VERY few people wear them regularly it might just happen to cause you to stick out a bit? Does that work for everyone? Maybe? (Can't we all just get along?) We can all wear what we want to wear however we want to wear it, but it doesn't hurt to let someone - new to the idea of wearing a bowler- know the kind of reactions he might receive from wearing one.

The general rule of thumb for whether or not you can wear an unusual article of clothing is: if you have to ask, you probably can't. That said, if you want to give something (a hat for instance...) a try, go to a store try one on and see what you think. If you like it, go for it.

I know, the doily put it over the top didn't it.

So here is a question I was just thinking about: Is what I wear any more "costume" than unbuckled monk straps, wrist beads, or wallet chains (or even the ascots you yourself sport;) just because fewer people dress like me?

10. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Yes. Not that I think those Pitti guys are any better, mind you.

11. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

This thread needs to be erased from my memory.

12. alkydrinker

alkydrinker Active Member

Shane Macgowan looks really cool in anachronistic hats like bowlers. There should really be a thread on Shane Macgowan's style.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Taking this item by item, I didn't know men wore their monks unbuckled. Sounds like a good way to trip and break your neck. Sounds more strange and sloppy than costume-y, at least to me, but then I've never particularly been a fan of monks.

Wrist beads? Hey man, peace and love! Has any man worn those relics of the flower-power era since about 1972? Definitely retro-hippie costume these days.

Wallet chains? More low class than costume. Would be a useful accessory if you wanted to costume yourself as an outlaw biker. However, appearing in public so attired might be ill-advised unless you are, in fact, an outlaw biker.

While we're at it, I would also put watch chains, such as you were sporting, in the realm of retro-costume. I know HRH Prince Charles rocks 'em at least occasionally. This still doesn't alter my opinion.

My ascots? Yeah, they are at least skating on the edge of costume, I'll admit.

Looking at your photos, if you had replaced your jaunty yellow tie and tan shoes with something more somber, I think you would look like a very well dressed gentleman...circa 1914!