1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bowler Hats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dandy Wonka, Jan 12, 2014.

1. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

ITG, I wasn't talking to you. - or about anyone in particular. read the whole post and see if you are in there......

. if you read from the 3rd paragraph, i was asking FM to be more open about what he knows style to be, instead of nodding when conservatives talk down on individuality.
    and in the quote highlighted at the top of the page, the points, and language i objected to are in bold.

2. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Being unafraid of being an anachronism, I do have a very good reason why I do not wear a bowler hat - simply that I look like crap in them, whereas I do own and wear a homburg, which is nearly a great an anachronism as is a bowler.

3. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

cool attitude, and explanation. i don't have a homburg, but look great in a bowler. each to their own. - just love that you posted a valid argument without saying others would look crap.
    (or anything negative at all)
    props.[​IMG]

we can each wear a hat, and say...
    [​IMG]
    and enjoy our hats.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I can't comment on what's current in Japan or Australia, but I will say that wearing a bowler/derby/coke in the States (or at least my region of same) would come across as ultra-eccentric unless it was clearly being worn as costume (e.g., at a SASS event, some sort of "Old West Days" or "Gay Nineties' party). Many people cannot tell the difference between a homburg and a derby, and so I fear the homburg also falls into the province of eccentric headgear (even though I've got a couple of decent ones).

The fedora when worn as functional outdoor wear is okay. Worn with a suit, it skates on the edge of costume.

But then, in a broader sense, aren't well all costumed players on the Great Stage of Life?

5. Mr. Claymore

Mr. Claymore Senior member

Costume? Eccentric???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (boy are those pictures old...)

Actually, I just came into this thread again looking for a little commiseration. My other bowler was accidentally sat upon and now needs to be reblocked. That is all.

6. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

You could have just left it at this because you clearly have not bothered to either read properly or understood and thought about what anyone has said in this thread (or elsewhere). You clearly can't have done if you think I'm 'conservative' or some hidebound representative of the SF mainstream! That's just too funny.

I will repeat:

No-one has told anyone else they can't do anything or wear anything they like.

No-one has told anyone that they should not have personal style.

The only advice that has been offered is to tell people honestly and openly the general state of things and what kind of impression will be created if they do 'X' or 'Y'. That information (which is more than just opinion) can be used by people to make their own decisions. Just saying: 'anything goes' doesn't actually help anyone or answer their questions.

I took you off my block list because you don't seem such a bad guy, but you are seriously testing my patience...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  7. AbrahamLebowitz

AbrahamLebowitz Member

Personally, I'm not a fan of the bowlers. I prefer the Fedora. I like to be slightly more modern in my dress than the style of the bowler.

Regards,
    Abraham

8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

If you truly don't care what anyone thinks, the you can wear whatever you feel like whenever you want. But if that's the case, you wouldn't be asking for opinions.

Bowler hats look costumey.

9. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

I would use the word "Awesome". you are clearly a man with good taste. ( a minority here). keep up the good work. Quality items worn well never loook like a costume. and a costume is to dress unlike yourself, when you are being yourself? it's obviously not a costume.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

"Costume? Eccentric?" Hell, yes. Even without the bowler, you look as if you are trying awfully hard, but the lid puts it way over the top!

1 person likes this.
  11. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

I have zero problem with the bowler. That being said I would not wear one, but that's just me. If I saw a guy wearing one and it was working on him I would give him a nod and compliment the hat.

12. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Great attitude. [​IMG]

ok, so mr claymore's lawn furniture is over the top. but if he wore grey pants- it would be "Approved".
    still love that he actually posts what he wears, and wears it like a boss.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  13. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Without wishing to get involved in a war of words, I've really got to reply to the bolded part.

I've lived in Japan, I've been travelling to Japan at least once or twice a year for the past two decades, and I pay a lot of attention to men's fashion when I'm there.

Whilst I'm not as aware of what young men are wearing nowadays, I still see a lot of younger fashion around Harajuku/Aoyama/Yoyogi/Shibuya/Shinjuku and so on when I'm in Tokyo.

I can quite honestly say that I have never seen anyone wearing a bowler hat in Tokyo. Now, I'm quite happy to admit that perhaps there just weren't people wearing them on the days that I was there but that they're worn at other times but I nonetheless don't think that's particularly likely.

Also, I can't ever recall having seen a bowler hat featured in Men's Ex, Uomo, Leon, or any other of the myriad of magazines featuring men's clothing that are published in Japan.

It's entirely possible that there are a couple of eccentrics strolling around Tokyo wearing bowler hats, and they may have been featured on a website here or there, but to construe that as meaning that "bowlers are a staple in Japanese contemporary men's fashion" is simply incorrect. If they were a staple, they'd be common, and they clearly are not.

Accusing FM of lying when he stated that wearing a bowler would be unusual is not only incorrect, it's also very rude.

As FM said, people can wear bowler hats if they want, but they've got to realise that they may well look rather "costumey" and anachronistic if they do so. That's not wrong, it's not lying, it's not drivel - it's an accurate observation.

Edited to add: I just asked my wife (who was born and raised in Tokyo) if bowler hats were a staple of Japanese men's fashion and she laughed out loud.

2 people like this.
  14. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

Interesting turn this humble thread has taken.

15. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

perhaps i should correct my grammatical error, HATS are a staple of japanese men's fashion, and bowlers are considered a legitimate addition to any regular fit. i use Takeo Kikuci as my prime example of how they are currently undergoing a resurgence. and have found their way in to the modern realms of men's fashion.

i'm not sure how long ago you were in japan, or the particular environment you were in. but i have some very fashionable friends who wear stuff even i might think a little eccentric. what you may see people wearing to and from work does not give you a hint on what their "True" style is. this is something i am sure FM is aware of. and i challenge him not to fight, but to encourage him to share more of the more "Experimental" or "ground-breaking" trends and styles that can be seen in japan. and some of them are truly worth paying attention to. especially those who incorporate traditional clothing in to their fits.

perhaps Flying monkey and i could co host a thread posting fits of people we think have an interesting and outstanding personal sense of style?
    - which i think would produce some good fruit.[​IMG]

- for what it's worth, i own and run a business in japan,(not a teacher) and my friends are varied from Military,to Business, to fashion industry, to musicians. so they all dress different, when we get together? it's great!
    hats can be seen worn (including bowlers). and daily on tv, with them being a part of many a celebrity's personal wardrobe.
    the best example is Mr Terry Ito: i love his style, and confident attitude. see below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like how he doesn't give a f#*K , he just owns it. also, Takeo Kikuchi is one of Japan's biggest designers, himself wearing hats, and in his collections they are featured, in my local T.K store, their Bowler hats sold out before i could get one. (so i got a Lock&co)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

while not a Bowler, he does make and sell them.
    here are some more pics of styles that include hats, particularly Bowlers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^^From a T.K collection. and some other examples...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

while not intended to all be fantastic examples, they do illustrate the various sub-genres of fashion that Hats have become a solid part of. from "Dandy's" to "Rockers" and many others. they cross over between CM, and SW&D . while here there can sometimes be no distinction between the two. i have 6 hats right now, and would like to get a brown Homburg to add another choice. Lastly, Japan's most infamous Hat wearer,
    Japan's Finance Minister / Deputy Prime minister. Tarou Aso :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

at All levels of society, Hats rule. whatever the hat, whatever your genre. they are a staple, -Bowlers included.

16. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Bowlers are not a bloody staple item in the modern age - please stop posting.

2 people like this.
  17. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Late to the thread? pay attention, you might learn about men's fashion.
    as you might notice from the pics i posted, they are from varied style genre's. and show the popularity of hats. (including Bowlers).
    which are as staple as a tweed sportscoat. on a friday or saturday night. walk on to a busy street in a bar district, you will see a Bowler or a Derby. and plenty of tweed.
    i post what i have learned from experience, what i see, and also from being close to people in the the fashion industry. you think you know?- because you live in italy? [​IMG]
    we are currently talking about hats in Japanese fashion . - a totally different universe. and more trend-setting. (well, that's my opinion) are they a staple in italy? no. england, i doubt it.
    right now it is winter, and VERY cold, guys are searching for a suitable hat to wear with a coat and scarf. with Felt Bowlers, and Derby's gaining traction. though fedora's are still more prominent.
    so if you simply need to claim the higher ground and slam another part of the worlds popular trends... please stop posting.

18. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

No, i am not a late comer to the thread. If you scroll back you will see that I was the first person to answer the topic and that I do actually own a bowler hat although it remains unworn.

Will someone have a quiet word with this bloke, please? He's about the most irritating member on this site.

19. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

that's rather uncalled for,from someone who has only posted on this thread to add inflammation.

things can be true even if you do not believe it. hats are here to stay, as am i.
    to say everybody must dress like "this" is not only narrow minded, but out of touch with upcoming trends.
    however, i really enjoy the way trends are evolving.
    even if some others don't. the latest winter collections in the afore mentioned magazines feature hats prominently, including bowlers.

so while guys like Terry Ito, and Takeo Kikuchi, and others continue to influence popular Japanese fashions, i will follow the change, and embrace the new styles. wearing what makes me comfortable, and happy. i recently wore my style in California for a week, and received only compliments.
    we don't need to agree, this IS a forum. but you could contribute more. and talk trash less.
    so a hat,tie,waistcoat and jeans? sure, something different for you? whatever floats your boat. but i wouldn't go as far as to slam your style and/or influences.

and these are mine...
    Junya Watanabe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yohji Yamamoto
    [​IMG]
    United Arrows..
    [​IMG]

and T.K.
    [​IMG]
    ^^ from the 2013/14 fall-winter lookbook.
    pics of the shibuya store..
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

you don't need to like it. but it is what it is. most designers/companies here are going in this direction. i guess you could call it "Classic SW&D??" not sure, but it Blurs the definitions between CM and SW&D. might not work for you, but it works for me. try to be more understanding of others before dismissing things.
    the o.p is welcome to choose what he likes. and i can too.

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

@38R - if you correct your argument to state that hats (and not any sub-genre) are a staple, then you'd be slightly more accurate, but still only slightly.

Yes, celebrities like Terry wear a bowler hat on TV, and some other people wear hats, too. However, even in Japan you'd be hard-pressed to say that hats are a staple of men's clothing. Even though some people wear hats, many, many more people don't. Have a look at Shinjuku or Ikebukuro station in the morning and you'd be lucky to see more than a few men wearing hats, despite the millions of people who pour through the station every day.

Even though a few tarento might wear one, and even though the appear in some fashion campaigns, doesn't mean that bowler hats are in any way a staple.

After I posted earlier, I remembered that I have seen one man wearing a bowler hat in Tokyo - it was in Yoyogi Park one weekend and he was also wearing a pair of baggy, drop-crotch trousers, an assymetrically cut jacket, had dyed hair, and platform shoes made from patent leather with large, crepe soles. Not exactly your run-of-the-mill person that you see on the street every day (even in Tokyo).

As has already been said, the above comments don't mean that people aren't free to wear them. People are free to wear what they please - there's a bloke who posts on this site occasionally who regularly wears vintage top hats along with a full dinner suit rig when he goes out - and I think that hats look good and I have a few of them, including panama and fedora styles.

However, along with wearing spats or button boots, I think that bowler hats are so rare nowadays that unless you work in the City of London and carry a tightly furled umbrella to work whilst wearing a pinstripe suit and black captoe balmoral shoes, you'd look too "costumey" if you wore a bowler hat and the above images that you've posted just reinforce that impression for me as the ones featuring bowler hats are either of tarento or of fashion models who are wearing the clothes in an advertising campaign.