• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowler hat with Tux... Yey or Nay?

tiratela

Reaction score
Fellow Enthusiasts:

This year's annual Marine Corp Ball is coming up in November. For last year I wore a typical Black SB, reg Lapel Tux with a Raw Gold Silk Vest and Bow tie to match my wife. (My Avatar)

This year I want to go a little different. I'm thinking of a SB White Jacket, Deep BLUE Raw Silk vest and Bow.

But because I want to stand out a bit, I also want to wear a Bowler hat..

I doubt anyone else will be wearing a hat at all, but I'm not like everyone else.. More than likely this will be held in the Embassdor's Residence Lawn. (Outside)..

So, convince me otherwise.. Hat - Bowler or Not.. Yes or NO!

confused.gif

Thanks in advance..

stach

Reaction score
A bowler is a daytime hat which really should not be worn with an evening suit. I don't want you to wind up looking stupid so I would say no. Sorry!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yeah, if you want to be strictly "correct" a Homburg is the best choice.

Aristocrat

Reaction score
I would go for a cylinder hat, it's more correct.
In beaver fur off course!

tiratela

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Richie, no tiene nada que ver, pero eres puertorro?

Dominicano..

I might look at the Homburg and see how it works out..

Thanks for the suggestions so far... I might have to dig up some pics to see how they stack up..

R...

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiratela
Fellow Enthusiasts:

This year's annual Marine Corp Ball is coming up in November. For last year I wore a typical Black SB, reg Lapel Tux with a Raw Gold Silk Vest and Bow tie to match my wife. (My Avatar)

This year I want to go a little different. I'm thinking of a SB White Jacket, Deep BLUE Raw Silk vest and Bow.

But because I want to stand out a bit, I also want to wear a Bowler hat..

I doubt anyone else will be wearing a hat at all, but I'm not like everyone else.. More than likely this will be held in the Embassdor's Residence Lawn. (Outside)..

So, convince me otherwise.. Hat - Bowler or Not.. Yes or NO!

confused.gif

Thanks in advance..

Homburg would work of course but the cylinder hat is the correct accompliment and as the man said in Beaver of course but actually in a silk plush would be fine. Ascothats.uk can help you out and Doug Simpson is a fine man.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gladhatter
Homburg would work of course but the cylinder hat is the correct accompliment and as the man said in Beaver of course but actually in a silk plush would be fine. Ascothats.uk can help you out and Doug Simpson is a fine man.

I think that Manton is strictly correct in this instance. A cylinder beaver hat would be strictly formal (so, white tie), but a homburg is more correctly worn with a dinner suit and black tie.

Of course, no one is going to know the difference, and anyone who does and objects is probably an ass.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The old fashioned silk and beaver pelt hats are no longer made and haven't been for decades. You can only find them second hand, if you are extremely lucky, and they are mucho expensive. Top hats currently being made today are either felt (for daywear) or a thin silk (collapsable opera hat, for evening wear).

And, yes, the top hat was traditionally reserved for full formal dress: either the morning coat (daytime) or the tailcoat (evening). It's a bit much for black tie.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The old fashioned silk and beaver pelt hats are no longer made and haven't been for decades. You can only find them second hand, if you are extremely lucky, and they are mucho expensive. Top hats currently being made today are either felt (for daywear) or a thin silk (collapsable opera hat, for evening wear).

And, yes, the top hat was traditionally reserved for full formal dress: either the morning coat (daytime) or the tailcoat (evening). It's a bit much for black tie.

Small correction this hat has not been produced commercially for decades but have been rarely available to a few select people that was forturne to have the connections or inclinations . They generally do fetch a premium for the larger sizes in good condition. We have 3 friends in the top hat business and all of them generally get around 3500.00 each for their hats around Ascot days and to the folks in the equine persuassions.

Doug offers these hats in any state of vintage or restored and also is about to release them made again traditionally from the Plush that many thought extinct.

Beaver "pelt" top hats have never dissapeared at all and are still something that many custom hatters can produce. Pelt is a bit of a misnomer I think for this hat as it was always a veloured beaver felt or plush hat traditionally.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
$3,500 is even more than I thought. 15 or so years ago, I had a chance to buy one in my exact size for $400. On a student's budget, it seemed silly. Plus, I thought, when the hell would I ever wear it? Looking back, I sort of wish I had done it, just for the novelty of the thing.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$3,500 is even more than I thought. 15 or so years ago, I had a chance to buy one in my exact size for $400. On a student's budget, it seemed silly. Plus, I thought, when the hell would I ever wear it? Looking back, I sort of wish I had done it, just for the novelty of the thing.

I think we all have clothing purchases that we passed on, that looking back on them we wish we hadn't. Sigh, such is life, no?

Jon.

Gladhatter

Reaction score

Hat prices have been the subject of some controversy over time. Some are more proud of thier work than others. I was going to show you a 6000.00 hat but realized they have went up. topping out with our incomparable 1OOOX priced at $7500

http://www.montecristihats.com/furfelt.htm

If you want the band with this hat it can range up to a 1/4 million more.

If you really feel like you want to spend a ton then you have to go ultra custom as this is stock prices.
*Disclaimer* I am not voicing any opinions on this hatters prices as I am acquained with Milton and like all others in business I think he has a market for this hat or else he would not be offering it.

Must be doing something right as he has some impressive clientele.

Reaction score
Go with a top hat instead of a bowler.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that Manton is strictly correct in this instance. A cylinder beaver hat would be strictly formal (so, white tie), but a homburg is more correctly worn with a dinner suit and black tie. Of course, no one is going to know the difference, and anyone who does and objects is probably an ass.
OK, I'll be an ass: A top (cylinder) hat of any type should only be worn with a tailcoat, either white tie or a morning coat. Those are the Rules, as Manton states. If following sartorial tradition is of any consideration (and it doesn't have to be, of course), wearing a top hat with blackt tie is entirely wrong. IMO, it also looks odd and unbalanced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads