1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Bowing before the SF Elders! Tailoring Input Needed: Tom Ford Suit Shoulder Pad issue

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Returningson, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Returningson

Returningson Senior member

So I just picked up this TF and have a slight (or major depending on how the responses go) issue with the shoulder.

I have a mountainous shoulder bump on my left shoulder :puzzled:

[​IMG]

Now, I don’t have the straightest shoulders in the world but the “shoulder bump” seems to be caused by the pad itself. The pad actually seems to be bunched up within the fabric when compared to the other shoulder.

These pics show the “bulging” shoulder sitting on a hanger. You can not only see the difference but you can definitely feel it when caressing both shoulders (i.e. you can feel the pad not extending all the way up the shoulder like in the right shoulder). It even feels like there may be some padding missing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Overhead shot

[​IMG]

To prove I don't have a rock under my shirt and to demonstrate how my suit shoulders naturally look, I choose this sportcoat which roughly has the same amount of padding and overall fit as my TF.

[​IMG]

My questions are two fold:

1.) what could have caused this? Was this an intentional tailoring decision on someone’s part as the suit was pre-owned before I bought it). IMO It just "feels" like someone went in and did some doctoring on the shoulder as I’ve owned numerous TF suits (some new, some pre-owned) and none have ever had this issue. Or, could have this resulted from shipping as the suit was rumpled up in a bag for a week causing the pad to become showhow detached?

I have since given it a good hot water steaming to get all the wrinkles out of it and let it sit on a proper width suit hanger for several hours and it is still definitely there which leads me to believe it’s a fundamental problem with the shoulder pad itself.

2.) More importantly, can a skilled tailor go in and re-adjust or “fix” the pad? I don’t mind spending some money to get this professionally done (thinking about going to Wilshire Tailoring in LA and having Paul work on it) but I don’t want to sit in traffic for 3 hour round trip just to have someone say its useless…

It’s really a bummer because the suit fits great everywhere else but this is the first TF ive owned with this issue. Have other TF suit owners had this problem? So, should I try to have this corrected or should I send back?

Sincerely appreciate the advice of my fellow gents here. Thanks! :)

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hi,

I'm going to move this to Menswear Advice, where this might get a few more eyes who are focused on giving this type of advice.

I've personally never seen this issue, so no idea what the issue might be.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Fok.

3. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

They may have added a pad to the left shoulder to compensate for a low left shoulder and didn't do a good job of it. Client wasn't happy with the result and sold the suit.

The pad could be folded over on itself and is creating a bulky spot. Just needs to be "unfolded".

Take it to a tailor to have a peak under the shoulder lining.

You mentioned hot water steaming of the suit. I can't think of anything worse to do to a suit.

The cloth looks limp and the lapels are puckered now.

4. Returningson

Returningson Senior member

Hot water steaming is actually a tried and true method of getting wrinkles out of a suit and is even recommended on here (maybe I should have said a hot shower steaming i.e. taking a hot shower and letting the jacket sit on a proper hanger soaking in the steam).

The pics posted showing the details are actually BEFORE the steaming straight outta the box which is why it looks wrinkled.

As for the pad issue, it could indeed be a multitude of things mentioned here so I am taking this to Paul's at Wilshire Tailoring. He is gonna peak under the hood and see whats going on. Ill report back for those interested! :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  5. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Quote: Hmmm, interesting!

6. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

:facepalm:

It's on the internet so it must be true.

One of the best tailors in the country (in the world?) tells you it's a bad idea and you correct him because a couple of equally misguided guys on the internet tells you it's ok?

7. LA Guy

You're not allowed to lie on the internet. It's illegal.

Just fwiw, @Returningson , Chris @Despos is a bespoke tailor of some reknown from Chicago. I would suggest that you take his advice rather than listening to the rest of us yobos. @jefferyd is not an indifferent bespoke tailor himself, who has also extensive experience with the RTW side of things, and the author of tuttofattoamano, one of the best blogs on mens tailoring that I know of.

This coming from the head yobo of this place, fwiw.

8. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

I apologize if I sounded snarky, it's just that we've been down this road so many times before. We're confronted by a chorus of "but I do it all the time!" I'm sure if you went onto a car enthusiast's forum and told them all its fine to take their cars through the automatic car wash they'd lose their minds as well lol

9. LA Guy

fwiw, I do that with my Odyssey?