• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
I'd like to know one professional mastering engineering who uses Grados for work besides the shill job of Bob Ludwig (or besides the 2 personal e-mails from Bob Joe Grado cuts and pastes into every single one of his product descriptions). Amateur "audiophile" recordings of artists who might sell five records a year at best are irrelevant but of course all these folks have an opinion and suspend their cables over shakti or petrified dog **** stones.

It upsets when me a company that is so consistently innovative and produces components that are consistently improved and impressive when measured both by objective analysis and listening is maligned in comparison against a company best known for producing products which are colored and inaccurate BY DESIGN.

It'd be one thing to compare Sennheiser and them dump on B&W. But claiming B&W are crap (and in the other thread, not relevant in high end audio, according to non-existent anecdotal sources that you cannot name and nothing in print, so your own opinion alone) and then suggesting crap that has no place in a proper recording chain; really brings any credibility you have (if you had any anyway) into serious doubt.

Whatever dude. If you look at some of the graphs on Headroom, you will see that grado and Senn are almost mirror images on the FR graph - Grados have a midrange hump and Senns have a suckout in the same area. Really Stax are the only flat or neutral cans in my experience but they are not very portable.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B&W soundbar retails for $2200 and isn't subject to mark downs.
Who the fick these people think they are ? Meridian ?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Whatever dude. If you look at some of the graphs on Headroom, you will see that grado and Senn are almost mirror images on the FR graph - Grados have a midrange hump and Senns have a suckout in the same area. Really Stax are the only flat or neutral cans in my experience but they are not very portable.

Not really. Comparing the Sennheiser HD650 to the Grado 325:

Frequency response:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=383

To the extent that the dummy head measurement is realistic, the Grado has less bass, really bright highs, and not a very smooth midrange response. The Senn by comparison is almost flat in the midrange (1000 to 3000 Hz).

Distortion:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=383

Here we can see how the Grado has much more non-linear distortion than the Senns. Look at all of those red spikes.

--Andre

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Not really. Comparing the Sennheiser HD650 to the Grado 325: Frequency response: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...phID[]=383 To the extent that the dummy head measurement is realistic, the Grado has less bass, really bright highs, and not a very smooth midrange response. The Senn by comparison is almost flat in the midrange (1000 to 3000 Hz).
This is actually the graph I was thinking of. If you look at the midrange area, the Senns exhibit suckout (too little midrange and upper midrange, look at the range of 3K to 8K). If you do acoustic recordings like I do, this is not helpful. We have a modded pair of 600s we use with the same characteristics. The Grados have more treble (and I would agree too much) but they also have a more open sound that let's the detail of the strings through. It's a flavor of ice cream choice between these two cans. I prefer the Grado sound. YMMV.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Andre,

One more thing. The Grado chart is based on the older 325i version, the new 325is is much flatter I am told. Seems less peaky in the highs anyway.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3053995817_d5c6a0d295.jpg

these are teh ones i want

sooo sexy

i think i just came

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
sooo sexy

i think i just came

They are sexy but the custom Denon wood cups will also get you hard.
laugh.gif

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are you one of those people that believe better cables change sound

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes. And they do.

Is this like saying Styrofoam cups improve auditory sensations?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is actually the graph I was thinking of. If you look at the midrange area, the Senns exhibit suckout (too little midrange and upper midrange, look at the range of 3K to 8K). If you do acoustic recordings like I do, this is not helpful. We have a modded pair of 600s we use with the same characteristics. The Grados have more treble (and I would agree too much) but they also have a more open sound that let's the detail of the strings through.

Note how above 3kHz the same bumps occur in both measurements? This measurement is probably not credible for those frequencies, perhaps due to some resonance in the dummy head setup. 3K-8K is also not midrange, since most tweeters are being crossed over there already.

Yes. And they do.

facepalm.gif
Even if we disagree on the magnitude of cable effects, this is ass-backwards. A good cable does not alter sound. A bad cable does.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads