• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a pair of these beauties?

bowers-and-wilkins-p5-mobile-headphones-gear-patrol.jpg

I saw them in the Apple store today and am very tempted...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
They absolutely suck sound wise. Don't let the modern design fool you. Buy something else.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
For $300 get the new Grado 325is instead. Better build quality and far better sound quality.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My suggestion would be Senn 650s, but like AF suggests, Grado is worth looking into as well. The sounds will be worlds apart.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should've noted that I'm by no means an audiophile nor am I looking for an audiophile's headphones...I listen to mostly hip hop so those types of headphones would be wasted on me.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I should've noted that I'm by no means an audiophile nor am I looking for an audiophile's headphones...I listen to mostly hip hop so those types of headphones would be wasted on me.

Then why do you want them? I'll admit B&W makes some sexy looking products and I own a boring pair of B&W 683s, but your money on headphones is poorly spent on those (from reviews). I had a pair of the Senn 650s. Awesome...but you sound like you'd be perfectly fine with some closed studio monitors.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Then why do you want them? I'll admit B&W makes some sexy looking products and I own a boring pair of B&W 683s, but your money on headphones is poorly spent on those (from reviews). I had a pair of the Senn 650s. Awesome...but you sound like you'd be perfectly fine with some closed studio monitors.

Ah - because I want something portable.

I'm tired of expensive in-ear headphones breaking on me and I also want something with the mic/remote on the cable so that I don't have to hold my damn phone up to my face to talk when I'm walking home in the cold. End rant.

Right now, the options are limited and I can't see myself buying some Beats by Dre headphones.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Trini,

Seems you came here looking for someone to justify your purchase.

However, good bass is good bass on any kind of music. You don't need extra bass for hip hop. You just need accurate bass.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Trini, Seems you came here looking for someone to justify your purchase. However, good bass is good bass on any kind of music. You don't need extra bass for hip hop. You just need accurate bass.
I probably am. Or at least for someone to tell me they're not a ************* that's going to fall apart on me. I disagree re: good bass vs. extra bass. I've had/bought/listened to headphones that were said to have 'accurate' or 'tight' bass - and they're all disappointing. I like that subwoofer boom feel when I'm listening to hip hop, etc and you don't get that with a lot of headphones.

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
Of my headphones, my Sennheisers tend to have the most "punchy" bass, although other 'phones are more accurate. However, the 650 and 555's I have are not at all portable.

If you're looking for a good review to justify your purchase, there's this one at least:

http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=4299

However, a while back the same site reviewed a $700 device which spins your CDs around on a little post for about 30 seconds before you play them and claims to improve sound quality. The review was very positive, if I remember correctly. I tend to take anything I read there with a grain of salt.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrewc2232
However, a while back the same site reviewed a $700 device which spins your CDs around on a little post for about 30 seconds before you play them and claims to improve sound quality. The review was very positive, if I remember correctly. I tend to take anything I read there with a grain of salt.

Is this a joke? Do you have a link?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like them, and I got a pair to replace some aging Bose QC1s. They're not audiophile quality, but they do have a very solid feel and a nice sound. If you're gonna pay $300 for headphones, then they're really nice, but if you're looking for the last word in prosumer audio technology then they're not.

As long as you recognise them as pretty but average quality then you wont be disappointed. I like mine enough to recommend them to friends.

Artisan Fran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrewc2232

Originally Posted by ramuman
Is this a joke? Do you have a link?

Why do you say this? Do you have any evidence to show these aren't worth it? I have two and they are excellent. While one was good, I felt in order to obtain optimal auditory isolation, there should be a second one to eliminate sound distortion and now all my CDs sound better than they ever have.

One tip is to find a carpenter to craft a box that will help shield the device. I found that bloodwood preserves the integrity best and creates the least amount of interference.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fran
Why do you say this? Do you have any evidence to show these aren't worth it? I have two and they are excellent. While one was good, I felt in order to obtain optimal auditory isolation, there should be a second one to eliminate sound distortion and now all my CDs sound better than they ever have.

One tip is to find a carpenter to craft a box that will help shield the device. I found that bloodwood preserves the integrity best and creates the least amount of interference.

I have never seen or heard of a device. As described, it seems like something that just spins up a CD for a while then you take it out and put it in your normal transport/player.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads