Bow ties anyone?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Frrrank, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Frrrank

Frrrank Well-Known Member

Any bow tie wearers out there? I'm in suits daily and wear bow ties with them. Just seems more dressy, and even when a day goes lousy, it feels nice to be all buttoned up and sharp. Been wearing them since high school, so by college I wasn't self-conscious about being so dressed up, which was good since I was working fulltime and going to school at night until I graduated not long ago, so I was always the most overdressed member of my class. Made life more interesting too, since one friend of mine from school was a bit of a nut and loved my "buttoned-up and formal" look. She ran a group at our college and once talked me into being in a "mock wedding," for lack of a better term. Only thing was, the group was the gay-straight alliance, or something like that, and the mock wedding was part of a "Gay Wedding Day" event. When she talked me into being in it I had no idea how big it would be. The wedding was held in a church near the campus and performed by a lady minister. My groom was a guy who was a member of the gay-straight alliance. She had us both wear navy blue suits (since we both had them and it was cheaper than tuxes), with very starched (how I wear them) white shirts, and navy blue bow ties (with a little bit of a print), and of course matching white rose and baby's breath boutonnierres. I was nervous as hell, naturally. When they opened the doors into the main church, there's the minister waiting for us down at the end of the aisle and the place was PACKED. Probably a couple hundred people. Next thing I know the organist was blaring out The Wedding March and there I am walking very slowly down the aisle with my groom on my arm, both of us all stiff and buttoned-up and formal in our suits and bow ties and being wed in front of a church-full of people. It couldn't have been more real. As soon as The Wedding March started playing and we started walking down the aisle, it may as well have been for real.

2. eg1

eg1 Senior member

[​IMG]

3. quevola

quevola Senior member

[​IMG]

+[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

+[​IMG] [​IMG]
    + [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. celery

celery Senior member

"Gay Wedding Day"

My groom was a guy

since we both had them

I was nervous as hell, naturally.

When they opened the doors into the main church, there's the minister waiting for us down at the end of the aisle

PACKED.

both of us all stiff

There, now it makes sense.

6. Tsintaosaurus

Tsintaosaurus Senior member

my favorite part of the story was the part about bow ties in the second to last paragraph

7. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

I didn't read your post (way too long for my short attention span) but yes, I've been known to wear a bow tie.

8. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

\\Glennie,

what the hell does this have to do with bow ties????

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I think as a first post, this gets an A+.

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Sounds like your sleeves were too short.

11. James Bond

James Bond Senior member

I think as a first post, this gets an A+.

++++ Excellent poster, would read again!

12. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

you remind me a lot of myself. I have always worn bowties, in fact I wear them all the time except in my sleep. i always try and find an occasion besides work to get to wear them and usualy do. I wear them around the house and sometimes when I go out to the store or something. I wore them in school as well and in my college years. I alwasy attracted attention for them, whiich is one of the reasons I like them so much. i also like the buttoned up look as you put it and the signifigance the wearer of one receives from others you are astonished by the fact that we can even tie one. Not realizing themselfs that there are as simple as sholelaces. Itry not to be stuck up or smug about and risk feeding into that sterotype. anyways it is nice the hear from such an avid wear like your self, I wish the best to you and all that comes your way.

13. Frrrank

Frrrank Well-Known Member

Yep, same here. Work, naturally, and any other opportunity. Just give me half a reason and I'm in a suit (two-button jacket, of course. The '80's were a terrific time fashion-wise before "business casual" was inflicted on us.), heavily starched shirt, usually white, but sometimes light blue, pink, anything pastelesque), and a perfectly tied bow tie. When I started in banking back in the '80's EVERYONE dressed up for work. Even women wore those nice, conservative suits with the skirt to the knee and the jacket with a well-pressed pleated-front "tuxedo shirt" style blouse and those women's version of a bow tie that were just a little poofier than our bow ties. Now, of course, you see people going to work looking like they're going to a gang rumble. For me, even Fridays I'm in a suit and bow tie, and where I work my co-workers generally dress pretty well, so maybe I'm influencing them. Like to think so anyway. [​IMG]

14. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

For the love of god! Whitespace is your friend.

15. quevola

quevola Senior member

Frrrank + Bowtielover = Full of Shit