1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bow tie and shoes for navy wedding tux

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jacdaniels, Sep 23, 2016.

1. jacdaniels

jacdaniels New Member

Hi men with style! So my fiancé and I are getting married Dec 10th. He has chosen a textured navy tux. See pic. He wanted something more formal to wear but the venue is more casual so the texture provided the right balance (we hope!). The question is- being a tux, should he go with black shoes and black bow tie (which is our preference) or being navy, would brown shoes look better and if so, maybe a navy bow tie? I usually love brown with navy but being tux, my feeling is that black would be nicer/more traditional. Or could he go navy bow tie and black shoes? We're probably overthinking it but really can't decide. [​IMG] [​IMG]Any helpful and constructive suggestions would be sincerely appreciated!!

2. jacdaniels

jacdaniels New Member

I just realised I should have posted this under the "advice" thread but not sure how to (if I even can) change it. Clearly a newbie! Thanks everyone and sorry! ;)

3. starro

starro Senior member

Yeah, the texture on this jacket really jumps out at you. But I don't see how it's not just a regular navy suit. So many features of a tuxedo are missing.

4. jacdaniels

jacdaniels New Member

I think it's a marketing thing. None of their "tuxes" have silk lapels or traditional features. "Tuxedos you can dance in" they say so yes I suppose it's more a navy suit. Would black still work? So many things I've read have stressed brown is better. Thanks so much.

5. facet

facet Senior member

Yeah, that just looks like a navy suit to me, which is totally fine. That being the case, black shoes are entirely appropriate as brown is, for me, too casual a look for a wedding.

My preference, since it's just a suit, is to wear a wedding tie with it (like a glen plaid, black/white shepherds check etc..) as I fear wearing a black bow tie with a suit will just end up looking like wearing a black bow ties with a suit (instead of a tux). If you're absolutely set on a bow tie though I've seen the suggestions of choosing one in a wedding tie colour scheme (grey, black and white)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  6. jacdaniels

jacdaniels New Member

Thanks so much! Very helpful :)