• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow tie advice

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The easiest would be a polka dot tie. Colors are limitless - just like an ordinary tie. There is usually going to be some colored threads - for example, I have a similar style suit in grey with the light blue threads in it - so, not surprising, ties with light blue in them look good with the suit. But really, any pattern other than a check is a potential candidate.

TheModernGent

Reaction score
Skip the bow tie unless it's a formal black tie occasion, or you happen to be a southern gentleman with a big white moustache

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi

Anybody have any opinion on what colour & style bow tie would go well with this jacket and a white shirt?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...AUICCgD&biw=1680&bih=944#imgrc=BgrtYKU5n8fQlM:

It's a blue checkered wool finish jacket. pants are the same as the jacket, to make a full suit. Shoes and belt are calf skin brown.
What look are you going for? I mean, I've got a pink and yellow bow tie I'd sport with it, but if I'm trying to be more understated I might opt for my grey with small purple polka dots or golden-tan. A burgundy would look pretty striking as well.
I'm a big fan of diamonds, but I think a batwing (or narrower daimond) would probably be the best match to this one. I find my diamonds start to interfere with lapels.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Among the very few things one can look forward to on his sixtieth birthday is attaining the age of wearing bow ties with dignity. Why I'm not exactly sure, but bow ties outside of formalwear tend to look affected if not downright silly on younger men. It's the domain of "wacky" TV commentators who have adopted it as a signature look for their on-air "personality." Until you're 60 you don't want to go there.

MTB-85

Reaction score
... bow ties outside of formalwear tend to look affected if not downright silly on younger men. ...

Hmmm. I on the other hand feel like I stole a tie from my grandfather's closet when I wear neck ties.
@doncastro Why don't you try a different material than regular silk; Grenadine or shantung and solid colour or broad stripes..
You can go many different directions with the staple colour-pallette you have got in white and navy...
eng_pl_shantung-silk-bow-tie-3008_1.jpg
eng_pl_shantung-bow-tie-2481_1.jpg
96dd1ea266892f8d660fa9c50a57a6f8.jpg
7253464c0b1c734b96193c68b93fcc12.jpg

Fort Belvedere,
Poszetka,
Embassy of Elegance

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads