1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bourdain tickets booked!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Infrasonic, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Well-Known Member

Just booked my tickets for a talk he's doing at the Lowry hotel on Tuesday. Last time he was here in Manchester some mates of mine took him out on the town 'till about 8am...I think he's more sensible these days, but we shall see...[​IMG]

2. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

the episode he did on los angeles was really, really disappointing.

3. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Well-Known Member

Don't get the excitement.

4. Infrasonic

5. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

I met him at a book signing for his Les Halles cookbook before he blew up on No Reservations. Alot of his talk is pretty canned and pre-written from what I remember. He was a nice guy though.

6. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Well-Known Member

Well I like him...[​IMG]

He's alright.

7. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

the episode he did on los angeles was really, really disappointing.

I liked his "A Cook's Tour" episode of LA where he did the hotdogs and campanile. I also liked that he focused on the "real" parts of LA in the No Reservations.

8. mordecai

I liked his "A Cook's Tour" episode of LA where he did the hotdogs and campanile. I also liked that he focused on the "real" parts of LA in the No Reservations.

"Real?" He went to Roscoe's, talked shit on what is essentially stoner food, and then went to Cole's for an ok french dip. The rest of the episode was about traffic, Derby Dolls, and Jerry Stahl. He might as well have gone to Norm's, or to Brown Derby for a Cobb Salad.

The whole episode was really unimaginative. I didn't expect him to be dining at AOC or anything, but I was really hoping he would focus on all the great overlooked places that are sandwiched between liquor stores and laundromats in strip malls. Or maybe spending a little time in Korea Town or Little Ethiopia, or just about anything besides Roscoe's and Cole's. If I remember correctly he did go to the Thai Town grocery store. That was good.

9. Infrasonic

The better one's seem to be when he has a good local tagging along to show him off the beaten track gems. Didn't see the LA one...

10. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

"Real?" He went to Roscoe's, talked shit on what is essentially stoner food, and then went to Cole's for an ok french dip. The rest of the episode was about traffic, Derby Dolls, and Jerry Stahl. He might as well have gone to Norm's, or to Brown Derby for a Cobb Salad. The whole episode was really unimaginative. I didn't expect him to be dining at AOC or anything, but I was really hoping he would focus on all the great overlooked places that are sandwiched between liquor stores and laundromats in strip malls. Or maybe spending a little time in Korea Town or Little Ethiopia, or just about anything besides Roscoe's and Cole's. If I remember correctly he did go to the Thai Town grocery store. That was good.
    He went to Thai town and had tried the different noodle soups in Thai restaurants that are sandwhiched between liquor stores/strip malls. ( ) He hit up some of the smaller worker mexican communities and got some Birria. Hit up a hole in the wall burrito stand in the hood (I actually ate there at Acosta Tacos on Tuesday). Roscoes....it is the first restaurant I went here when I moved here for college so it was nostalgic for me. to me, a lot of the No Reservations episodes get intensely boring when he starts getting philosophical and judgemental on things...its the way the show is, which is why I liked A Cooks Tour much more....N.R. is way overproduced.

11. mordecai

He went to Thai town and had tried the different noodle soups in Thai restaurants that are sandwhiched between liquor stores/strip malls. He hit up some of the smaller worker mexican communities and got some Birria. Hit up a hole in the wall burrito stand in the hood (I actually ate there at Acosta Tacos on Tuesday). Roscoes....it is the first restaurant I went here when I moved here for college so it was nostalgic for me.

[videol][/video]

I forgot about the Boyle Heights moment. That was good too.

12. Xericx

Xericx Well-Known Member

the gang-banger segment was interesting as well near Hawthrorne.

13. Roikins

Roikins Well-Known Member

"Real?" He went to Roscoe's, talked shit on what is essentially stoner food, and then went to Cole's for an ok french dip. The rest of the episode was about traffic, Derby Dolls, and Jerry Stahl. He might as well have gone to Norm's, or to Brown Derby for a Cobb Salad.

The whole episode was really unimaginative. I didn't expect him to be dining at AOC or anything, but I was really hoping he would focus on all the great overlooked places that are sandwiched between liquor stores and laundromats in strip malls. Or maybe spending a little time in Korea Town or Little Ethiopia, or just about anything besides Roscoe's and Cole's. If I remember correctly he did go to the Thai Town grocery store. That was good.

Yeah, it was the same with this visit for "No Reservations" to DC. Everyone there was surprised about the places he picked. I much preferred "A Cook's Tour" better.

14. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    tony's a very smart guy and very funny. but after running hard to get to where he is, he does seem to coast sometimes. it takes an amazing amount of energy to do even a bad television show. really astonishing.

15. Monaco

Monaco Well-Known Member

I love this show, this guy probably has the best job in the world.

16. Reggs

Reggs Well-Known Member

The best shows are where he hates the places he visits.

17. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

sri lanka was the first time i saw him really miserable

18. bkk

bkk Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was the same with this visit for "No Reservations" to DC. Everyone there was surprised about the places he picked. I much preferred "A Cook's Tour" better.

Jose Andres' place: No problem with that.
    Ben's Chili Bowl: Not exactly a secret or a revelation, but sure, I was OK with it.
    Everything else: Never heard of the spots. I really didn't understand why he ventured to the other side of the Potomac.

19. soxpats

soxpats Well-Known Member

I don't understand the hype around him. To each his own though. I've tried to watch No Reservations but can't sit through an episode.

20. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

sri lanka was the first time i saw him really miserable

totally understandable.