• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the subject of Booker's, picked up a bottle of the "Teresa's Batch" . Six years old, bottled at 126 proof.

View attachment 1235953

First tasting, hot without water. ********, long finish. I didn't get much until I added some water. With a few drops, get nice peanut and toffee. Lots of spice. The grain comes out on the finish, with dry vanilla. The texture is nice and solid, even with water.

It's definitely in the "good stuff" category, which is rare enough these days. I saw the "Shiny Barrel" variety as well, might have to pick that one up too for comparison.

I’m surprised these haven’t fallen victim to scarcity, even at these prices. Might be the next shoe to drop.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw two bottles of "The Shiny Barrel" yesterday at $100. each but did not kop. Now have two bottles of the McKenna 10, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof 12, and Old Forester 1920. Would pour a glass today but am sick as a dog and don't feel like it.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw two bottles of "The Shiny Barrel" yesterday at $100. each but did not kop.

That's a little steep. I got that one at $65, assume the "Shiny" was the same price. Have to go back and check this week sometime.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on here tried the 2017 Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye? I'm debating keeping it or selling it.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Booker’s has great marketing, but I honestly feel like the QPR isn’t there for a 6 year bourbon.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep meaning to try it but haven’t yet. I take it the Little Book is similarly overpriced in your view?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to drive to Tennessee for work last week so I picked up a few goodies on the way. Made a pretty good dent in the Dickel Single barrel over the holiday weekend. Very excited about trying the Makers as well.
That Maker’s line is my new favorite. I had one from a local store that was called “Mocha Wheater”. Tasted real close to some Pappy. And for $70 or so, I went back and got like 6 bottles. I’ve had a few others and some were close but not quite my Mocha Wheater.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here it is.
FFB04403-9111-44E1-BEB3-4689E821064D.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Booker’s has great marketing, but I honestly feel like the QPR isn’t there for a 6 year bourbon.

To me, age is a number. I’ve had some unaged tequila that was as tasty as 90% of the aged bourbon and single malt out there. Bookers is a delicious, complex and very deep whiskey that is worth the slight upcharge when you compare it to other bourbons in the $50 to $75 price range.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To me, age is a number. I’ve had some unaged tequila that was as tasty as 90% of the aged bourbon and single malt out there. Bookers is a delicious, complex and very deep whiskey that is worth the slight upcharge when you compare it to other bourbons in the $50 to $75 price range.

You're comparing apple and oranges. (I prefer my tequila unaged, and don't drink anejos.)

You cannot say 6 years isn't young for a bourbon. Even within the Jim Beam label, you can get barrel proof bourbons with (IMO) much better value: Knob Creek single barrels are often aged 12-14 years and are <$50

GzStudio

Reaction score
I’m a fellow George T Stagg owner, a small club. I won my bottle at the BTAC raffle at my local warehouse store. It’s the 2017 release (129.2 Proof). I was one of two winners that raffle that went home with a bottle of GTS. I paid $98. There were around 100 people in attendance, although many were probably chasing Pappy’s. I’ve tried a sample of Pappy 23...let’s just say it’s ranked outside my top 5, so it wasn’t that good. Certainly not worth $300 or $3000 to me

View attachment 1230383

I see you finally cracked it. Nice. I’d like to try gts someday.

Picked up a E.H. Taylor small batch this week along with a blanton’s. Unsure on opening the blanton’s as I might be able to trade up for something with it.

I found small batch, rye and single barrel for Taylor and since I haven’t tried it yet, I figured I’d start at the ground floor.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the rye. The small batch is ok - I’d say “good” even but probably won’t seek out again.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're comparing apple and oranges. (I prefer my tequila unaged, and don't drink anejos.)

You cannot say 6 years isn't young for a bourbon. Even within the Jim Beam label, you can get barrel proof bourbons with (IMO) much better value: Knob Creek single barrels are often aged 12-14 years and are <$50

No, I’m comparing things based on my tastes, which is really all that matters. Just because Booker’s is < 10 years old doesn’t mean I don’t find it much better (to my taste) than an older Knob Creek. I would urge anyone to taste for themselves by getting a pour at a well stocked bar and go from there and not make the mistake of buying Knob Creek just because it has been aged longer than Bookers. They may find they prefer Bookers even at the younger age, and find the slight upcharge worth it for something that to them, is better. Case in point. There was a Dickel 17 year old released a few years back that was far more expensive than the barrel picks that were widely available from the same distiller. Personally I felt the extra $$ were not worth it to me, and haven’t bought it since.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, I’m comparing things based on my tastes, which is really all that matters. Just because Booker’s is < 10 years old doesn’t mean I don’t find it much better (to my taste) than an older Knob Creek. I would urge anyone to taste for themselves by getting a pour at a well stocked bar and go from there and not make the mistake of buying Knob Creek just because it has been aged longer than Bookers. They may find they prefer Bookers even at the younger age, and find the slight upcharge worth it for something that to them, is better. Case in point. There was a Dickel 17 year old released a few years back that was far more expensive than the barrel picks that were widely available from the same distiller. Personally I felt the extra $$ were not worth it to me, and haven’t bought it since.

I compared two things by the same producer.

Obviously I’m not saying to buy Knob just because it’s older. I stated that booker’s (due to marketing) is expensive for the stated age. This is true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads