• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried that one yet, but they definitely got the memo about replacing their tired, drab Mad Men era labeling with the hip, 30s feel, post-prohibition labeling to goose sales..

All these whisky rebrands invariably leave me feeling cold. Something so charming about the dated look of the older labels.

Rebrands almost always carry a nice little price bump as well just to add a little insult to injury.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried that one yet, but they definitely got the memo about replacing their tired, drab Mad Men era labeling with the hip, 30s feel, post-prohibition labeling to goose sales..

Notice the first review at the top:

KarlHungus

Reaction score
First pour
IMG_20220927_230414.jpg

(of the bottle....third pour of the evening 😉)

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone heard/trie the new ‘Fortuna’ line? Looks like it’s the same guys who are behind Rare Character.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question (USER=235812]@jcman311[/USER] ?) . My daughter is looking for a @ $100 bourbon for a wedding present. Any suggestions thanks

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question (USER=235812]@jcman311[/USER] ?) . My daughter is looking for a @ $100 bourbon for a wedding present. Any suggestions thanks
Oh man, I’m no expert on bourbon - will defer to some of the others here. I’m pretty specific to taste and prefer sherried single malts. Also like my bourbons on the fruity side. Eagle rare comes to mind if you can find it (should be much cheaper than $100). I liked Legent and Larceny as well but those are just everyday priced bourbons.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mass appeal for sure
So, the problem with bourbon isn’t MSRP as much as actually finding the good bottles (highly allocated/raffles/small liquor stores charge 5x MSRP, etc etc)

Lots of the more expensive stuff tends the be barrel proof (50-60+% ABV), so I don’t know if that would appeal. If you think it might work, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Russell’s Reserve Store picks are great, but kind of hard to find. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is more available.

Not sure what to recommend for lower proof- maybe Basil Hayden 10 year? Not sure complex, but very ‘smooth’. (Blantons would be the obvious answer here, but it’s incredibly hard to find)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For stuff that should be easy to find, HillRock does some interesting wine cask finished bourbons. Old Elk also. Barrel has some good bottles. Smoke Wagon uncut and unfiltered is also a nice bottle. The $100 price range is a bit of a no man’s land for bourbon, there is plenty of good stuff in the 40-70 range, then there is a void and then things pick up again north of $150, in my opinion. You can also have a bottle engraved for a more personal touch.

Also, “easy to get” means different things depending on where you live.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Standard issue bourbon

IMG_20221002_211535.jpg

The int'l marketing machine has somehow allowed four roses bourbon to claim production origin in Japan. Hallelujah for int'l corporations and complex production chains.
IMG_20221002_211546.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads