• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's not inflation - that's price gouging. retail is like 10% of that.
Its price control. Pappy sets their MSRP but then is heavily constraining their supply. Its forcing the retailer/end user to think that these bottles are worth much much more. But this only works for a limited few. It just so happens with bottles like the Van Winkle product because they scored 98, 99 and 100 at the BTI annual reviews. It sucks because it forces retailers to up the price because everyone in the supply line is taking their "premium" for handling such bottles. And retailers can just sell to themselves (and claim they did so at MSRP) or employees and then resell for 5-10x what they paid. Its a crappy situation. Much different times then 10-15 years ago.

I mean, I've lamented about how we can't even get regular Buffalo Trace around here.

Anyway, if I could get Eagle Rare store picks for $39 I would drink that every day for the rest of my life.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno Eddie. Is that too expensive or way cheap?

Edit: Can't get it where I am and this was also a store single barrel pick

PA state stores usually had it for $29.99, but that wasn't a barrel pick. That said, IME, barrel picks might sell at a slight premium, since you're really only paying for the tiny increase in costs (i.e. the distillery's time working with the store, store's time, slightly premium labelling) that come with the pick. I've seen it in Houston fairly regularly, again, $30 range. While most stores limit to 1 or 2 per purchase, I wouldn't call it rare by any means. I think the most I'd pay for ER 10 is pretty close to that retail price.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4ED0EC31-CBCA-4CD0-A37B-3639EDF8D15A.jpeg

Only available in Kentucky and for $19.99 a real steal.

Happy Monday!

ULCajun

Reaction score
I dunno Eddie. Is that too expensive or way cheap?

Edit: Can't get it where I am and this was also a store single barrel pick
the barrel pick is pretty cool but you commented about someone paying MSRP for Yamazaki yet you paid at least $60 premium here and want six more!

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the barrel pick is pretty cool but you commented about someone paying MSRP for Yamazaki yet you paid at least $60 premium here and want six more!
As gifts. I'm going to say this is different but I'm sure it wont matter. I cannot get Eagle Rare in my area let alone for the $60 premium I paid. Period. Bourbon premiums around here are even more insane than one can think. Only place where one can even sniff getting Buffalo Trace is the same price I paid for the ER and I can tell you that ER is much better.
I can get Yamazaki for a slight premium over MSRP but that MSRP has gone up at least $100 in the last 10 years. I've done the Yamazaki thing and since its hard to get and MSRP prices are going up I usually wont touch it anymore.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of the Still Austin cask strength bourbon and an Alberta Premium cask strength rye yesterday. The Alberta Premium got a ton of buzz and a world whiskey of the year award in 2021, so was pretty excited to try it. For the price, around $65, this was a great buy, and I will likely go back and pick up an extra. Really does put all the "craft" ryes to shame at around the same price tag. Just don't get why they can't come up with something a little better than the post-soviet packing they did for this one, but hey, what's inside makes up for it. The Still Austin I wasn't as thrilled with. IIRC, I paid close to $50 for this one, and it just didn't really impress me a lot. Not much to distinguish it from any of the other two year old bourbons out there.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's pickups:

DSC_0299.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads