• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

januarytwenty

Reaction score
PSA for the Houston folks. Saw about a half dozen bottles of the Dickel/Leopold rye collaboration in the "behind the glass" display case at the Spec's on Shepherd. It's still priced at $110 which in my mind, is pretty fair given the quality of what's inside. I resisted the urge to buy another, since I had gone there to get the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte Heavily Peated, which ain't exactly in the same wheelhouse. I'd highly recommend the rye, it's a very special whiskey.
Saw some at the Specs in Clear Lake yesterday too. I opted for Sam Houston 15 year instead. I may go back tomorrow and pick up a bottle if it’s still there. I received a $50 Specs gift card yesterday.

Edit: looks like you’re able to add to cart at Total Wine too!

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw some at the Specs in Clear Lake yesterday too. I opted for Sam Houston 15 year instead. I may go back tomorrow and pick up a bottle if it’s still there. I received a $50 Specs gift card yesterday.

Edit: looks like you’re able to add to cart at Total Wine too!

I’m fairly new to Texas whiskey. Which one would you tell me I have to try to bring me on board permanently?

januarytwenty

Reaction score
I’m fairly new to Texas whiskey. Which one would you tell me I have to try to bring me on board permanently?
Definitely try Balcones Mirador. It’s one of my favorites from Waco. I’m sure you’ve heard of them. They have a couple of billboards downtown Houston. It’s an easy to find bottle here. Another one I like is Treaty Oak Red Hand or Still Austin. They’re both fairly decent priced and located in Austin. A lot of Texans talk about Garrison Brothers Balmorhea but it’s always sold out and I don’t bother looking for it. It’s on my bucket list to try though!

6BD1439E-6F5C-4FD8-A9A9-E7CA3A2974D1.jpeg

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely try Balcones Mirador. It’s one of my favorites from Waco. I’m sure you’ve heard of them. They have a couple of billboards downtown Houston. It’s an easy to find bottle here. Another one I like is Treaty Oak Red Hand or Still Austin. They’re both fairly decent priced and located in Austin. A lot of Texans talk about Garrison Brothers Balmorhea but it’s always sold out and I don’t bother looking for it. It’s on my bucket list to try though!

View attachment 1738245
Thanks! One of the reasons I want to branch out is having tried Balcones rye and it was a really fine whiskey. I’ll check out the bottle above if I can find it. Saw Still Austin earlier this week and thought about it. I’ll give it a shot also!

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gnatty8 and other Dickel appreciators. My taste and smell are a little post-Covid compromised, but was thirsty and thought I’d run a little comparison between #1 & #3. Definitely same mash bill, but #1 has an additional note/dimension, #3 doesn’t have. No way I’d pick it up without tasting side by side though. I’d say #1 is “better.” Both delicious though!
2EE37158-1D39-436D-9D2E-EBC891D46BD9.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@gnatty8 and other Dickel appreciators. My taste and smell are a little post-Covid compromised, but was thirsty and thought I’d run a little comparison between #1 & #3. Definitely same mash bill, but #1 has an additional note/dimension, #3 doesn’t have. No way I’d pick it up without tasting side by side though. I’d say #1 is “better.” Both delicious though! View attachment 1739431

Although I haven't done a side by side comparison like you did (great idea by the way), I generally agree with you, I find the first release to be the one I get more angst about running out of than 2 or 3. Hope you keep feeling better!

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! In hindsight I’d say the first bottling has a kind of medicinal cherry note, which seemed to be divisive to some folk, and the newer bottle doesn’t, but maybe is a touch more caremel-y. The “cherry” note on the first is something I appreciate, while others have said it’s more like a Flintstone vitamin taste and disagrees with them. I need to hunt down another bottle of it! I’m worried I won’t find it, but am certainly happy with this last iteration, myself. ?‍♂️

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up this Knob Creek barrel pick from McScrooge’s in Knoxville over the holidays. Its 120 proof but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t drink like a 40 percenter

563A34FC-98B8-4953-B542-41280351BAE7.jpeg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1741431

I have blind tase tested all 3 releases…
Dont leaves us hanging! What do you think?

If anyone is in the SE WI area and wants to snag some good bourbon, I’ve been waiting 3 days for a nice shipment of a store barrel Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare and a regular Weller. Thats right, its been on and off a delivery truck 3 times with no attempt to delivery yet. F ing covid. So rob a Fedex truck and you might find a nice surprise!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Am I the only one enjoying Clyde's May as a daily? $60 for a handle.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dont leaves us hanging! What do you think?

If anyone is in the SE WI area and wants to snag some good bourbon, I’ve been waiting 3 days for a nice shipment of a store barrel Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare and a regular Weller. Thats right, its been on and off a delivery truck 3 times with no attempt to delivery yet. F ing covid. So rob a Fedex truck and you might find a nice surprise!
I keep putting the K&L Amruts in my shopping cart and taking them out. Think I'm waiting for them to go on sale. (there's a 6 year oloroso and an 8 year port pipe)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads