• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno man, thinking even five years ago this stuff would still be near impossible to find. I haven't seen Blanton's on the shelf in 8 or 9 years, and I am not even a fan of the stuff. There is still some really great stuff to be had out there, but you gotta really work hard to identify it. I find that for every 3 bourbons I pick up there days, I really like one of them. Recent examples are a Clyde May Total Wine barrel pick, and I've been raving about Dickel for years now, but the BiB and the 15 year old they released are just really easy drinking goodness.

Late on this, but yeah, it's frustrating these days. I definitely used to drink better bourbon 10+ years ago, even when my budget was a lot smaller for it. It's just such a pain ********** to find good stuff these days.

I've just kind of accepted that I'll occasionally get something really good, and it reminds me of the old days, but in general I'm just going to deal with accepting a lower baseline of quality. Alas.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late on this, but yeah, it's frustrating these days. I definitely used to drink better bourbon 10+ years ago, even when my budget was a lot smaller for it. It's just such a pain ********** to find good stuff these days.

I've just kind of accepted that I'll occasionally get something really good, and it reminds me of the old days, but in general I'm just going to deal with accepting a lower baseline of quality. Alas.

This… 1000x this…

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really miss being able to get consistently great batches of Booker's. I've replaced it with Rare Breed, which is still affordable and relatively easy to find.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can find bookers pretty easily, just not worth the $80+ is sells for now

Agreed in general, but highly dependent on the batch. There are a couple in the last several years I'd fork over $80 for, but Booker's was a great $59 bourbon..

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Booker's, I found a bottle of beaten biscuits today and paid way too much for it.
20210709_174122.jpg

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now there is a good find if you found that on a shelf! If so, what did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I haven't tried this one but have heard good things.
$125 (in DC).
The cinnamon coming off the first pour after opening was a little intense but it cooled off a bit by pour three and is just wonderful now.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new release of George Dickel Bottled in Bond just hit the shelves near me. $31.99 for a 13 year old version, compared to the 11 year old in the first two releases is pretty damn hard to beat.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trip to my old hometown liquor store never fails to disappoint. Reduced hours cause they can’t find staff to work there. Picked up 2 store barrels. Yellowstone which puts out a great whiskey for the price in its regular release bourbon. Was excited to find this as I’d never seen a single barrel from them, and after sampling in-store, was sold. Also a Knob Creek barrel which is one of the finest I’ve tasted in years. I haven’t bought anything from Knob Creek in years besides a rye store pick from this same store a few years back but after a sample, had to have it. And of course, another Dickel 15. This one and the BiB are the only whiskies I’ve truly been hoarding the last year. The 15 may be the best whiskey I’ve had in 2020 or 2021

97515574-D5A2-428F-8E52-4F797872A77C.jpeg

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been enjoying a single barrel 120 proof K&L pick from Knob Creek. You can forget about the shape and the label -- what's in the bottle is a completely unique beast. Not all barrel picks are great (especially these days), but when you find good ones, they can restore your faith in (relatively) recent production (relatively) young American whiskey.

januarytwenty

Reaction score
Found a bottle of Sam Houston 15 year at a Total Wine near me. Very yummy. Haven’t posted in here while! Been enjoying Sam Houston, Stellum, Clyde Maye (someone recommended it in here) and Booker!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so three questions: was at my favorite store in the region the other day and spotted a Dickel 15 and grabbed one, $54 bucks. They also had the BiB, $45 bucks. Seeing gnatty's posts makes me want to go back and buy more. Any comments on the flavor profiles, etc? I don't know Dickel. There were only three 15s so might be gone already.

They had several of the fancy Bookers' at $100-$130. Any resources out there for tasting notes on these? There are so manh bourbon sites I dunno if any are decent.

What is the deal with store barrel picks? Is it juat a craps shoot?

-Hunts

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, so three questions: was at my favorite store in the region the other day and spotted a Dickel 15 and grabbed one, $54 bucks. They also had the BiB, $45 bucks. Seeing gnatty's posts makes me want to go back and buy more. Any comments on the flavor profiles, etc? I don't know Dickel. There were only three 15s so might be gone already.

They had several of the fancy Bookers' at $100-$130. Any resources out there for tasting notes on these? There are so manh bourbon sites I dunno if any are decent.

What is the deal with store barrel picks? Is it juat a craps shoot?

-Hunts

I'm biased, but I pick up the 15 year old whenever I see it. It's a little pricey in Texas for some ungodly reason ($72.99 if memory serves), but I still can't resist. I was in Tennessee a couple of weeks ago and bought another 3 bottles, two to keep at my place there and another to bring home with me. Although the BiB is a great whiskey at $45, I'd pay the $9 upcharge for the 15 all day long. I really think it's the best attainable American whiskey that's hit the shelves in years. I know I didn't answer your question about flavor profiles, since I have a fairly unsophisticated palate when it comes to isolating all the peanut brittle/pencil shavings/bacon fat notes I've seen in other whiskey reviews (not the Dickel), but I just find the 15 to have more depth of flavor and complexity than the BiB; but again, the BiB is a great whiskey at a great price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads