• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been raving about the Dickel 15 year old for a few weeks now, so was pleasantly surprised to see my local Total Wines did a store pick of it. Bought a few bottles to put away, as this one is probably the best whiskey I have found in retail stores in five years.
How are TW store picks? I’ve tried RR and EC store picks from K&L but shied away from TW as I didn’t know who picks for them/how they are

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How are TW store picks? I’ve tried RR and EC store picks from K&L but shied away from TW as I didn’t know who picks for them/how they are

I've only had 3 or 4, but have really liked what they've chosen. My favorite by far was the Clyde May pick they did (haven't opened the Dickel yet as I am still working on the mass market 15 year old I bought a couple of weeks ago), but I've also been happy with their Buffalo Trace and Dickel Single Barrel picks.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've only had 3 or 4, but have really liked what they've chosen. My favorite by far was the Clyde May pick they did (haven't opened the Dickel yet as I am still working on the mass market 15 year old I bought a couple of weeks ago), but I've also been happy with their Buffalo Trace and Dickel Single Barrel picks.
My local store has some RR picks for the first time in forever, and are doing a 10% off spirits coupon, so I’ll probably pick up

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been raving about the Dickel 15 year old for a few weeks now, so was pleasantly surprised to see my local Total Wines did a store pick of it. Bought a few bottles to put away, as this one is probably the best whiskey I have found in retail stores in five years.
Ok, I’ll have to hunt this Dickel 15 down.

Out traveling for work and saw some Buffalo Trace for $24. God damn how stores aren’t picked clean for that price.

Also picked up the rare breed. Good. Hints of fruit. Finish leaves a little to be desired but still good. Thanks for the recs. Able to fulfill my single malt cravings at a quarter of the price!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, I’ll have to hunt this Dickel 15 down.

Out traveling for work and saw some Buffalo Trace for $24. God damn how stores aren’t picked clean for that price.

Also picked up the rare breed. Good. Hints of fruit. Finish leaves a little to be desired but still good. Thanks for the recs. Able to fulfill my single malt cravings at a quarter of the price!

Definitely seems regional. Around here, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare and Weller all sit on the shelves and gather dust at retail prices.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a few pours last night. Started with Michter’s, then moved onto Four Roses Small Batch Select and finished with WT Rare Breed. All backed by coupla’ Guinnesses. Feeling it a bit today...
02BFADDD-5B89-4ADC-B272-8D0DA337F84D.jpeg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
this is surprising. I'd expect retailers are buying direct from distributors who buy direct from distillers. How in the world does a fake bottle even end up in a supply chain like that? I assume at the distributor side, but even then, wtf?

consignment most likely or they could have bought it from a “collector” which given their history you would think they would not do but people have short memories and money makes the world go round etc etc

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is surprising. I'd expect retailers are buying direct from distributors who buy direct from distillers. How in the world does a fake bottle even end up in a supply chain like that? I assume at the distributor side, but even then, wtf?

I wouldn't put it past some retailers to knowingly (or not care to check with a wink and nod) purchase rare (or supposedly rare) bottles from the grey market to put them in a locked case and charge exorbitant prices.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
consignment most likely or they could have bought it from a “collector” which given their history you would think they would not do but people have short memories and money makes the world go round etc etc

A) Didn't realize liquor stores in NY could sell on consignment
B) Amazed they would buy from an average joe without double or triple checking provenance, much less do so for resale

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A) Didn't realize liquor stores in NY could sell on consignment
B) Amazed they would buy from an average joe without double or triple checking provenance, much less do so for resale

Acker is the place that was consigning Rudy Kurniwian’s stuff. They’ve always wanted to be the big dog on the NY wine scene

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't put it past some retailers to knowingly (or not care to check with a wink and nod) purchase rare (or supposedly rare) bottles from the grey market to put them in a locked case and charge exorbitant prices.
ehhh...liquor sales and distribution are highly regulated by states. This would probably be impossible to pull off. (I can certainly say in Georgia it would be impossible and illegal)

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, liquor stores in NYC can only sell wine on consignment. I'm sure plenty break the rules, but I do believe that to be the case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads