• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not Pappy but my recent pickups. 4, 8 and 13 years old. The 4 year old is a Pikes store pick, 106 proof, very nice and smooth. The Peg Leg is allegedly Dickel bourbon. I’m not a Dickel expert but this is good, smoky and a bit hot. Have not had the 13 year yet

849EA907-0238-457B-8F0B-F44E015EE41B.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tried that Peg Leg Porker a few years back and liked it. I think it's well worth having at the price, and I tend to agree that it is likely Dickel in origin.. I've heard they plan on some older releases, which would be interesting, but that said, I thought the 8 year old was a solid whiskey, and I do love Tennessee Whiskey, and may be biased..

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So how does that work? Is it like scotch with IBs? They buy the juice and then age it themselves?

the story on this one is that is was aged by the distiller and filtered using hickory charcoal from peg leg BBQ.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tried that Peg Leg Porker a few years back and liked it. I think it's well worth having at the price, and I tend to agree that it is likely Dickel in origin.. I've heard they plan on some older releases, which would be interesting, but that said, I thought the 8 year old was a solid whiskey, and I do love Tennessee Whiskey, and may be biased..

there’s a 12 and 15 year old, but at approx. $200 and $400, they are not the value that the 8 year old is.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there’s a 12 and 15 year old, but at approx. $200 and $400, they are not the value that the 8 year old is.

Oh man, yeah, I'd pass at those prices for sure, but if I recall correctly, the 8y was sub $50, and for what is basically a finished barrel pick from a distillery I already like, that's a price I'd pay for what I thought was an interesting whiskey. I think I recalled seeing this on the shelves at my local Spec's actually, so I may give it a try.

Houston is weird. All kinds of whiskey that is sort of hard to get other places just sits on the shelves here. I say 5 or 6 Dickel BiB gathering dust on the bottom shelf the other day, right beside a half dozen Weller SR

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But also it's immediately sold out and going for $1200 on the grey market.

With confusingly shoddy binding and blurry text in places that always make one wonder whether they’d been had..

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs on the Dickel bottled in bond. Found a source last night ($37) and decided why not. Excellent stuff.

It really is special isn't it? I finished a bottle from the first bottling last week, and replaced it with the second bottling. My palate is nowhere near sophisticated enough to narrow down differences between the two, but maybe that's because they are remarkably consistent. This is still relatively available in Texas, although I did notice that the 4 bottles I saw at my local place a couple of weeks ago were gone when I was there last weekend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads