• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I messed up while making a Boulevardier and ended up doing half rye, quarter Punt e Mes, quarter Carpano Antica, forgetting the Campari.

It's surprisingly good. I rounded it out with some Angostura and it's actually a nice drink, basically a Red Hook with extra depth from the dual vermouth.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Downside of living somewhere with county run liquor. We get county picks, but few and far between. I don't have the energy to go hunting outside of the area these days.

State run stores in PA tended to be same. That said, Texas isn't much better. That last thing I'd expected when I moved back here was to experience bourbon deserts, but that's exactly what I got. Total Wine usually does a good job of having some great single malts and I can usually find middle shelf stuff like Baker's, Old Scout, Noah's Mill, etc., but every time I go back to Tennessee and find myself standing there, jaw gaping, eyes locked in a trance, at the wide variety of whiskey available for me to load up and take home with me, it is a sweet thing indeed.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
06352851-AEB7-42B0-AADC-9689D0A3A8D7.jpeg

A Superb Spirit

Happy Friday!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Total Wine is actually on point for whiskey. Check out their scotches...also, I thought you could have whiskey delivered thru mail in Texas...?

Nope, apparently not:

"The bottom line: Legally, distilled spirits can't be shipped directly to Texas consumers. They have to be shipped from a package store in the county you live in. Any any out-of-state wine club needs an out-of-state winery direct shipper's permit to ship wine directly to Texas consumers ."

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
US liquor laws are still some bullshit. I can get almost any product known to man shipped to my door overnight, but liquor? Nah, can't have that!

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After all the Blanton’s chatter, my buddy ended up grabbing me a bottle for $68 from the Duty Free shop at TJ border. It’s been a while, so thought I’d revisit for the hell of it. We shall see if my memory serves me correctly on there being many better options in the $50-$60 range...
00A0CAC9-49E8-456F-AF05-72860752D376.jpeg

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After all the Blanton’s chatter, my buddy ended up grabbing me a bottle for $68 from the Duty Free shop at TJ border. It’s been a while, so thought I’d revisit for the hell of it. We shall see if my memory serves me correctly on there being many better options in the $50-$60 range...
View attachment 1456835
Nice! Didn’t know they had it - this was at the TJ airport?

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe so. The Cross Border one. Apparently the last two bottles, unless they had more in the back. He has a knowledgeable buddy in Ky, who has a few spots he gets deals at, so usually has a line on decent hooch, which he gets shipped out from time to time. Apparently there’s been some Costco stores in the Bay Area that had it for even less, but couldn’t find out where. The ones here have 1ltr of Buffalo Trace for $20, which might become my new well. They also had this, but hella’ unwieldy bottle...
3F2399B8-6475-461A-A6C6-042FCC2517E3.jpeg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
<3 George Dickel but I've never seen this. No. 8 is my go-to.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a bottle of the George Dickel BiB this week, last one at my local store.

It's awfully nice for $40. Sneaks up on you too, like the intro flavor is nice but not spectacular. Then the mid- and finish are just great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads