• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm with you on that preference. I've actually found about 20 years in oak is the max and then bourbon becomes bitter. I posted here somewhere about my Orphan Barrels and that the older they get the harder they are to drink.

Yeah, I was both shocked and disappointed when I came to this conclusion. I bought myself a bottle of the 23 year old for Christmas in 2012. It had been sitting atop the shelf at the liquor store 1/4 mile from my house on Kingston Pike in Knoxville, gathering dust right next to the 2 bottles of 20 year old I had not yet bought, lol. Priced at $249. That was more than I wanted to pay, but I loved the 15 and 20, so splurged. It was just too damn woody and oaky and you nailed it, bitter for me. It's like there was a sweet spot between 20 and 23 years that had been crossed over. I finished it, but never tempted to buy again. Pio, I actually remember you and I burning up this thread years ago in those good old days when those bottles were still widely available. Those were the ******* days.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with the 23 and 20 Pappy's are inverted -- I found the 20 to be *woodier* than the 23. These were tanked at different times, and barrels were cullled through, but the 23 has always been something I wish I'd purchased, even when it seemed "too expensive" at $250+.

However my bourbon sweet spot is about 15 years.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The Forged Oak is nice but the Barterhouse is perfect. The Rhetoric was way too woody.

216FCFB1-5FEF-4695-A23E-560C73AD0753.jpeg

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For scotch I like 15-18 as well. Anything over that, all I taste is the barrel.
I should give a range on bourbon of 12-15 years. Aging for bourbons is always "comparatively longer" than for scotch (based on the average temp at which the spirits are aged). My scotch sweetspot is typically 15-18 years.

However, these days I buy mostly independent bottlings or single barrel offerings, those can be brilliant at a host of ages outside my range (including on the younger side). Lately, I've been loving a 20YO Highland Park (Old Particular Bottling).

Also, I should say that my favorite Rye is Handy, which is young.

As with wine -- older does not necessarily mean better.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can't remember if I've posted this find before. Wild Turkey bottling just to highlight the fact they have Matthew McConaughey as a spokesman. It's filtered through both oak and mesquite, Texas mesquite mind you, charcoal. Very smooth and I've gotten a couple bottles for $30.

5BA98EB2-73F8-42E7-B4EE-D5C5648912AF.jpeg

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't remember if I've posted this find before. Wild Turkey bottling just to highlight the fact they have Matthew McConaughey as a spokesman. It's filtered through both oak and mesquite, Texas mesquite mind you, charcoal. Very smooth and I've gotten a couple bottles for $30.

View attachment 1365561

you have and i picked it up on your rec. very good but more like 40 bucks around here.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
15 has always gotten my vote of the lot. I used to get an invite to the annual flight tasting hosted by my liquor store of choice when I lived in Minnie. Miss those events. ;(

You left town? Sorry we never got to hang.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should give a range on bourbon of 12-15 years. Aging for bourbons is always "comparatively longer" than for scotch (based on the average temp at which the spirits are aged). My scotch sweetspot is typically 15-18 years.

However, these days I buy mostly independent bottlings or single barrel offerings, those can be brilliant at a host of ages outside my range (including on the younger side). Lately, I've been loving a 20YO Highland Park (Old Particular Bottling).

Also, I should say that my favorite Rye is Handy, which is young.

As with wine -- older does not necessarily mean better.

Correct, not necessarily better, but in my experience, in my most cases, better. Don't like the Handy rye personally, but a fan of Willett which is also very young.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
On sale for $30 so I stocked up.

A7453BBB-E6CC-4161-B4A6-331BF01C9103.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads