• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I take two handles, three fresh vanilla pods I **** down the center and cut in half, then skin several oranges being careful not to get pith. Place all in this huge mason jar I have and let it sit for a month in my barback. Strain and enjoy.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got schooled on how to read the laser codes on these bottles. Apparently this guy was bottled in August of 2009, S-W distillate before they switched production to Buffalo Trace.
8AF07EBE-86B6-4E52-921F-CB8F16128059.jpeg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sell it and retire.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just sell it and retire.

Ha, it's very hard to hold on to these. Since I'd never pay market prices for a bottle, it feels like I am betraying every economic principle I learned in grad school by keeping them. However, I am nostalgic and have memories attached to many of the bottles I collected (before the market turned insane) and just can't bring myself to sell. We opened another Stitzel-Weller bottle when the movers showed up at our place in Texas last Christmas, and this one may bite the dust when/if we spend time in Mexico later this year.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never had the opportunity to do a true side-by-side with the S-W batches against the Buffalo Trace ones, but I just never got the flavor notes that I remember from the older ones.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never had the opportunity to do a true side-by-side with the S-W batches against the Buffalo Trace ones, but I just never got the flavor notes that I remember from the older ones.

Me neither, although I'd love to try one of these days. I have one of the Buffalo Trace bottles, last one I ever found (when I lived in Knoxville, I had a great relationship with the guy who managed the spirits section of one of the larger liquor stores in town and he always set aside bottles for me) at retail. Maybe one of these days I'll just say screw it, and give it a shot.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last one I had was at a buddy’s house for Super Bowl who seemed to always have a line to various PVWs over last 15yrs. This was his last one from a case way back when. He’s priced out of the market now.
F6FB0AF6-1898-402F-A5AF-BF3C0D071224.jpeg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teh best “pappy”. Might have to pop it to celebrate once we end isolation. Seriously when I did the tasting this one won for me, by far.
66E93CE6-EF62-4867-8D23-030E586A6DC5.jpeg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Teh best “pappy”. Might have to pop it to celebrate once we end isolation. Seriously when I did the tasting this one won for me, by far.
View attachment 1364769

I've had a couple of the Lot B over the years. It's very good, but both the 15 and 20YO are in an entirely other universe.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bro, it doesn't even say Pappy on the label, I'll take it off your hands for a discount.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of the Lot B over the years. It's very good, but both the 15 and 20YO are in an entirely other universe.

Bro, it doesn't even say Pappy on the label, I'll take it off your hands for a discount.
I’ve got a bunch of 40 year old single malt that isn’t worth nearly as much as my no age statement Yamazaki. Labels mean nothing. ?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve got a bunch of 40 year old single malt that isn’t worth nearly as much as my no age statement Yamazaki. Labels mean nothing. ?

I agree that taste is subjective. Case in point, I prefer 15 year old to the 23 year old all day long. I just found Lot B very underwhelming relative to the hype anything Van Winkle gets. Is it a good bourbon? **** yeah, top 5% I'd say.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
15 has always gotten my vote of the lot. I used to get an invite to the annual flight tasting hosted by my liquor store of choice when I lived in Minnie. Miss those events. ;(

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I agree that taste is subjective. Case in point, I prefer 15 year old to the 23 year old all day long. I just found Lot B very underwhelming relative to the hype anything Van Winkle gets. Is it a good bourbon? **** yeah, top 5% I'd say.

I'm with you on that preference. I've actually found about 20 years in oak is the max and then bourbon becomes bitter. I posted here somewhere about my Orphan Barrels and that the older they get the harder they are to drink.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads