• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe. I’ve had a few that were amazing and well worth the price. Some were ok, but still worth the price. Some places, like Total Wine, sell them more expensively. What kind of prices are you seeing?
$69

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never tried it, but I did really enjoy the Maker's Mark 46 if that's worth anything. Haven't come across the Private Select.
It’s basically their version of a store pick where you get to choose the type of staves in the finishing barrel (Where it spends the last 9 weeks).

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, it sure was. I'll probably have another tonight. Also have a bottle of 16 year old Lock, Stock and Barrel rye that made the move from Philly with me that's been calling out from the liquor cabinet.
Stagg is one of the first whiskeys that pretty much blew my mind, even at 70% alcohol (the strength of the one I tried - might be the same as your bottle but can't quite recall). Never bought a full bottle but there is a restaurant my wife and I go to on special occasions and, for some odd reason, they charge a very reasonable price for Stagg (and I've seen the bottle so I know it's legit) while other whiskey markups are much steeper (more in line with the premium you'd expect). Whenever we go I am worried they will no longer have it, or will have marked up the price, but I've been happy to far. Of course, I hope they survive these current times.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stagg is one of the first whiskeys that pretty much blew my mind, even at 70% alcohol (the strength of the one I tried - might be the same as your bottle but can't quite recall). Never bought a full bottle but there is a restaurant my wife and I go to on special occasions and, for some odd reason, they charge a very reasonable price for Stagg (and I've seen the bottle so I know it's legit) while other whiskey markups are much steeper (more in line with the premium you'd expect). Whenever we go I am worried they will no longer have it, or will have marked up the price, but I've been happy to far. Of course, I hope they survive these current times.

Good for you, most places I've seen Stagg in Houston are north of $75 per pour, which is ridiculous and I will gladly sell my bottle all day long at $75/pour!

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I’ve been paying $35 or $40 which is great for a top notch NYC restaurant that probably charges $25 for Balvenie 12 and the like.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good for you, most places I've seen Stagg in Houston are north of $75 per pour, which is ridiculous and I will gladly sell my bottle all day long at $75/pour!
You’re talking about George T Stagg right? Not Stagg Jr.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My berfday in January was fun.

IMG_20200117_192649_006.jpg

Also got a couple good ones I cant find anywhere at the Jack Rose collection sale.

IMG_20200320_164920_894.jpg

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You friends with a store owner or just get lucky at liquor lottery?

Jack Rose was famously selling off a large portion of their largest-in-north-america collection as a way to keep their employees paid and insured while we play this chinese lottery. It wasn't cheap, but I was able to grab three great bottles, two of which I've never had before (the Weller and Medley), and extend my Blantons collection (I have half a bottle I got last year in West Yellowstone MT of all places while we were at the park) so that I can enjoy quality libations "during these unprecedented times". (day-drink while teleworking) The Blanton's does have the Jack Rose pick sticker on it, so there's that.

The berfday Pappy was happenstance. We were down in TX and booked at a nice little out-of-the-way spot west of Austin for my celebratory dinner. When wifey posted to facetubes that we had booked there as a new spot to try, we found out an old college friend of hers (and fellow KKY brother to us both) is the CDC there. He wasn't in that evening, but called in and told them we were family and should be treated as such. Apparently they'd *JUST* gotten the bottle in that day (as you can see mine was the first pour, excepting a small tasting for the bartenders) and I wasn't letting that pass me by on my birthday AND reenlistment celebration. :hide:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had a nice manhattan last night with my orange rind and vanilla pod infused Bulliet. So tasty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads