1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Not bourbon, but WHistle Pig Boss Hog is damn good (a rye, Canadian though)...aside from that, I don't know of much decent bourbin from the NE.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

So finally cracked open a few much anticipated bottles last night. First, Bookers. Wow wow wee wow were you guys ever right about this. Now this is bourbon! I took it neat with small sips. Got an immediate whole mouth hot caramel swirl. My mouth just lit up with warmth. Smooth to drink and besides a little tongue numbing, no sharp kick after swallowing. It was just a taste before heading out but I'm really happy this one's in the collection and looking forward to drinking it and getting more. Great experience.

Second taste of the night was Eagle Rare 10. Nice looking bottle and 10 years of age given my Scotch intro had me at somewhat high hopes. Well you're looking at a guy who's happy drinking Beam white, so I'm still new at this. The ER10 just tasted the way I'm used to bourbon tasting. Perhaps there was some more depth, maybe smoother, hell i don't know, it was fine, but I really have to have this a few more times and see if there's something I'm missing. I'm sure it's better than cheap ol' bourbons, but after just trying Bookers, this didn't do a whole lot for me. Now ER17's on the hitlist but it'll be a while before I see it methinks.

3. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Nice, I'll keep an eye out for it.

4. bt61184

bt61184 Senior member

Anyone might be able to help a brother out with 4RLE Single Barrel 2014?

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

:( me too. Somebody help

6. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Not all for me. 2 different barrel picks for a store near me. OBSO and OESO.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. ama

ama Senior member

8. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Si, seƱor.

1 person likes this.
  9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Went to a random liquor store in brooklyn and a distiller of a new craft distillery in brooklyn was doing tastings of his bourbon. $45 for a 375 ml of a six month old bourbon aged in small barrels. He kept trying to dodge the question of aging and provenance. He also kept saying how his customers loved it and one guy already bought 3 bottles.

It was surprisingly oaky for a 6 month yo but still pretty harsh and I'd rather drink like bonded grand old dad or something. I didn't even realize there's no age requirement for bourbon only for straight bourbon and bonded bourbon

1 person likes this.
  10. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Fuck upstart distillers.

11. NewYorkIslander

I feel bad for them. They are really up against it big time. The big guys have such a huge head start...I picked up a couple of those Rhode Island Single Malts yesterday when I was out there...curious to try them.

12. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

The problem is that they need to figure out ways to cut corners with aging, and it's normally very obvious (at least to regular whiskey drinkers, and not hipsters who think anything "locavore" is better no matter what).

1 person likes this.
  13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

you can't cut corners with age

all these companies trying to create older whiskeys simply by trying to extract more wood phenols don't understand oak phenols isn't all there is to aging. you can have a oaky product that still tastes too harsh and unbalanced

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  14. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It's a tough industry for obvious reasons. Seems like a lot of these guys are trying to do gins and white dogs to keep product moving while they age. Some of the gins are interesting but always feel really overpriced. I really don't get why anybody is going to pay $40+ for white dog, "artisinal" or not. Even the decent aged products tend to be 50% more expensive than their quality tier, and I'm really not about to spend $50 on more or less decent whiskey just to give a new guy a leg up.

There's a local VA distiller that I wanted to like, but the rye was just too thin and flat. I should have known when they were hyping the "organic grain" that it wasn't going to be great.

The only "artisan" distiller that I've really liked and felt like a decent pricepoint was Corsair.

2 people like this.
  15. NewYorkIslander

The funniest shit is Widow Jane selling non-GMO corn 375ml for $125. Wild Turkey and Four Roses both use non GMO corn, barrel at cask strength for some, and charge a hell of a lot less. Some people prefer to be ignorant and think they're drinking GREAT stuff. I find the same with guys who DO know...with dusties. I used to be one of them. Sure its rare, sure its cool, sure its historical, but most of the stuff produced today is just head and shoulders better than that mid shelf stuff that people go nuts for. Having said that, i do love the 86 proof OGD from ND. Really is tasty stuff and very creamy, unlike most stuff on the market today.

Been getting into these lately...
    [​IMG]

The half empty is from the WT Gift Shop for their opening, one is a KY Liquor Store, the other is a Julios pick....all neighboring barrels.

16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

same here. i'm not paying you $50 for a 375 of white dog or 6 month old bourbon.

i do like some of these gins coming out tho. barr hill i quite like. has a strong honey flavor that is kind of nice. need to expand my gin knowledge

is the single barrel russels reserve good? its not cask strength right? just high proof?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  17. NewYorkIslander

The private picks are fantastic...110 proof.

18. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

My thought on the newer distillers is that they need to make their juice and let it age while working other jobs. I feel like these companies feel as if they deserve to make money, even before they have earned it. This bothers me as everyone else has to earn their stripes.
    I have heard really good things about russels reserve and will be looking for it in the future.

I had not seen that Four Roses Secretariat before. Looks good. Let us know what you think when you open it.

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

it's really good. i wish i had a bottle