1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

ETL is a gateway bourbon....really good shit. The Commemorative is even nicer at a slightly higher proof.

1 person likes this.
  2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

It's nicer but i don't think it's hype worthy. If you see it buy it but IMO it's really not worth searching hard for especially if you can find regular Elmer t lee

I just had them side by side and commemorative bottle is a little thicker in body with richer caramel and vanilla notes. Like darker stewed stone fruit type flavors vs a little lighter florally notes. Both really good especially for the money

I saw a craigslist ad for weller 12 in nyc for like $120 a bottle lol

Last edited: May 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Sample I received from a friend. Awesome stuff.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

looks like the 2014 Four roses LESB is out.

:hide: somebody let me know if you see some in the NJ or NYC area please

1 person likes this.
  5. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior member

can you guys recommend a liquor shop in the NYC area, better yet in Manhattan that has a large selection of common bourbon/whiskey at cheapest prices? Just got into this...consuming habit

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

bqe or drinupny in brooklyn. drinkupny is free shipping after $200 so i'd just buy a bunch there

1 person likes this.
  7. denning

denning Senior member

Warehouse Liquors near Washington Square Park.

8. sftiger

sftiger Senior member

Astor wines is probably a little more expensive (although I've never actually compare) but it's my favorite liquor store in Manhattan. Really nice store and huge selection.

1 person likes this.
  9. denning

denning Senior member

Absolutely. Myself as well. However, if he's looking for common selection at cheap prices, Warehouse is the way to go. I still kick myself for not grabbing a 25 year Talisker for $125.

10. sftiger

sftiger Senior member

Warehouse is great and I usually stop there first on my walk to Astor Wines. Just throwing out another (albeit possibly more expensive) option to check out since they are only ~2 blocks away from each other. If you're stopping by one, it's worth stopping by the other too!

I'd be kicking myself too...

11. Stillmaticbeat

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

All great reco's. if you have a car, hopping into Jersey for some of the big box stores is another nice option...

13. Stillmaticbeat

picked up mt first bottle of bourbon today (I'm mostly a scotch drinker), willett pot still reserve for 36$ in total. I used to overlook bourbons for scotch but the patriot in me will no longer allow it. Plus this is a much cheaper habit.

1 person likes this.
  14. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Are there any decent bourbons that have come out of the US North East? I'll be swinging through Maine and Vermont this summer and wouldn't mind picking up a couple bottles of something interesting.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

not really. craft bourbon kinda sucks to be honest at least for now. so much deceptive marketing around

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  16. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Almost all of them are trying various gimmicks to keep afloat until they can properly age a supply. There's only so much you can do to make a young bourbon interesting.

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah for reals thats the part i really don't like. like the smaller barrels or the sonication or the mixing with older bourbon bought from kentucky distilleries or alberta premium. and then on the label its all handcrafted in vermont with some bullshit story about how all the grain is grown there

taste wise they're ok, but price wise it's not worth it.

at least for now. who knows maybe in a decade they'll be awesome

18. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

That's disappointing. Selection of bourbon in Canada can be poor at best, non-existent at worst (depending on your location) and I'm always happy to grab a bottle of something I can't find at home (like my rust-stripping Romanian vodka).

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

If your selection at home sucks, you'll be able to find all kinds of good stuff in the US. It just might not be regional craft stuff. The national brands are still your best bets, especially if you can't get all the good ones at home.

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

oh you're coming from canada?

there's a bunch of 2013 parkers heritage lying around. get one of those. probably cheaper here