Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

Nice - I stopped in at Astor Wines last night and grabbed for myself a bottle of Bernheim Original. Never had it before, but the blurb sounded pretty good, so I'm going to give it a try.

I've not had the Blanton's and I'd be curious to hear how it is.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

The Blanton's is very smooth and not hot for being 96 proof. Nice toasty caramel and vanilla. Really a nice sip.

The Kirkland is also excellent and it was only $20. It's 103 proof, so even stronger, and has a smooth sweet note to it. Caramel and vanilla too but almost a sherry like character. Highly recommend for just $20.

3. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

Cool thanks. I might have to pick those up. I'm quite new to the whole Bourbon thing, so am always looking for hot tips. I think Angel's Envy is my current favourite one. Very enjoyable. I've been into scotch for a while and I like it a lot, but I find that I have to be in the right mood for that. Bourbon is a very easy drink and is smoother than scotch IMO, but less varied in flavour.

I must confess to being a little bit of a pretentious swine when it comes to things like this. Like I would ignore bourbons that cost less than about $40 a bottle. Opening my eyes up to something like that Kirkland stuff for $20 is going to be very useful I'm sure, so thank you again.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pio, what your photo doesn't quite show is how massive that bottle of Bulleit really is! :lol: 1.75 liters, isn't it? That will keep you and your friends in Manhattans for a while.

The Kirkland, is it more like Woodford, Bulleit or Knob Creek?

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Had a second helping of B&E from ST George last night. Wow, that is good. $37 list. Drink it neat for full flavor. For cocktails, use a spicier bourbon like Bulleit. It really stands up to the ice and other flavors.

6. Piobaire

Just retasted the Kirkland. I think I still had the Blanton's coating my tongue. This is a little spicier. I'm going to put this more towards the Bulleit.

PSG, yeah, it's frigging huge! It was only $30 too. I recently grabbed a same size bottle of Maker's at a Total Wine for $25. When it comes to everyday bourbon I think I'm set for the next year or more. :laugh:

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I always liked the Blanton's when I was in the mood for something subtle. It's not going to bash you over the head, but it is extremely drinkable with some nice flavor. You'd never guess it was over 80 proof either.

Damn county liquor laws! My Costco doesn't sell any booze :(

I didn't like Bulleit bourbon much when I tried it last. Too rough for me. I do love the rye though, it's really excellent in a Manhattan.

I wish I could find some Pappy 15 year, stupidly expensive or not I love that stuff. I was lucky enough to get three bottles back when it was relatively unknown and ~$60. Fantastic stuff. Only had a dram of the 18 year and I don't think I'd pay the extra for it.

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I just picked up a bottle of the rye. I've been a Rittenhouse man but ran out of my stash a while ago, and they don't sell it in my state. After coming back to rye after drinking only bourbon for a while, I've come to the conclusion that rye is a better choice than bourbon in almost any classic cocktail (Sour, Manhattan, Sazerac, Old Fashioned). From now on, if I'm buying a whiskey for mixing it's going to be rye and not bourbon.

BTW, I could use some help settling a domestic dispute... All bourbon has some barley in the mash, correct? My lady is allergic to barley and swears Maker's Mark doesn't have any in it because it's on some list that says it's celiac-safe.

9. Piobaire

Gib, you mean:

[​IMG]

10. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I've been told the distilling process removes all the gluten. Some Celiac people claim different, but I can't see how the gluten protein could survive.

Bourbon is not mandated to contain barley so far as I know, and they don't generally publish the mash bill. Some amount is probably in most if not all bourbons for the enzyme action.

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

:cheers:

Enjoy. You lucky bastard.

12. Piobaire

Once something has been fermented, distilled, and barrel aged....how much of the original component of the grain remain? I just can't see it being enough to trigger an allergy to the grain.

13. Renton

Renton Senior member

Attending a wedding in Lexington in a few weeks and I figure I can squeeze in at least one distillery tour. I haven't done much research but it looks like Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace,and Four Roses are all within 30 minutes of Lexington.

I think Buffalo Trace might be my first choice, any reason to choose another instead?

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Yup. Spirits should be pretty dang gluten free anyway, but there's no requirement that Bourbon has to contain Barley, or any other grain besides corn.

15. Piobaire

I'm sort of the same way. I think part of it is because nicely drinkable bourbon can be had at such a reasonable price.