Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Can anyone recommend a sub-$20 "well" bourbon (the bourbon equivalent of Rittenhouse or Old Overholt rye)?

2. SD1

SD1 Senior member

Paddleford Creek is an excellent (IMO) bourbon for around $18-19.

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Thanks, denning. Life has really pressed me time-wise of late, so my being "back" is kind of minimal.

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep an eye out, but I doubt I can get it in Ohio. (Gotta love state-run liquor stores...)

5. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Various commonly available options:
    Evan Williams Black label is a good default "safe" bourbon, especially for mixing. It's like $14 for 750mL. It's probably what I'd think of for a good "well" bourbon.

Buffalo Trace usually runs around $20. Good straight up or mixed.

You can do Evan Williams Single Barrel for low 20s. This is well worth drinking straight. It's a lot better than the Black label, not really sure why it's so cheap.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Gents, I'd read some positive comments on Willett's but can't recall if there was a preferred version. Anyone?

8. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Mine is the Pot Still. Delicious.

I'll do a bigger another day when I have all my photos together but I visited KY last week, passing through Louisville, Loretto, and Versailles. At Louisville, I hit Jockey Silks which was a few floors below me at the Galt. Can't recommend this bar enough if you consider yourself a bourbon enthusiast or are wanting to branch into new brands. I tried something in the neighborhood of 15 different bourbons, several of which I'd never seen outside KY.

One thing that surprised me was that I hated Elijah Craig until I tried the 18 year. The difference between the 12 and the 18 was striking.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Pot Still, in the fat-bottom bottle? reasonably priced? Might have to give it a go, then. I saw it and had my reservations - thanks!

Funny you mention the EC 18. I've had the 12 and didn't care for it, but might have to give the 18 a shot.

Glad you got to visit KY, I enjoyed visiting the place on my few trips there.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  10. whodini

Yup, that's the bottle. I was recommended it by the owner of a bar in LA. Good choice.

Not sure I'd buy a bottle (think EC is in the ~$50 range, and that's Willits money) but the shot I had was a marked improvement over the EC12 I unfortunately purchased.

I found the list of some of what I tried at Jockey Silks. "*" are highlights:
    -Eagle Rare 17yr
    -Jefferson Reserve 18yr *
    -Johnny Drum Private 15 yr
    -Old Pogue Masters 9 yr *
    -Pure KY XO 107 proof
    -1792 Ridgemont Reserve
    -Weller Antique *
    -Elmer T Lee *
    -Old bardstown Estate10yr 101 proof
    -Rip Van Winkle 10 yr *
    -WL Weller special reserve 7 yr *
    -A.H. Hirsch 16 yr reserve ***

There were a few others that were more like sips than half shots or shots, but they were mostly to point me to other bourbons or quell my curiosity. Jockey has to have close to 60+ bottles on hand, some of which are up at the bar, others in the back, and even more on display. Just looking at that list makes me surprised that I made it back up to my room, let alone went drinking afterwards. Can't wait to move there.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

My bottle of Hirsch 16 is half empty. :-(

12. whodini

You make it sound like you spilled the other half. I'm always happy when I see empty bottles because I know they've gone to good homes.

13. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

Hope this hasn't been asked too many times so far, but I have recently started drinking bourbon from time to time and I'm after some suggestions for what to get. I live in NYC so liquor stores aplenty, but suggestions for in the midtown/union square area would be appreciated. I think I may drop into Astor wines this evening. I had some Angel's Envy a few weeks ago which I quite enjoyed, but I'm looking for suggestions in the 50-80 dollars/bottle region. Ideally something that's relatively easy to find. If I spot any pappy van winkle I'm going to get it, but my hopes are not high. Thoughts?

14. GQ Lawyer

GQ Lawyer Senior member

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I'm perilously close to emptying a bottle of Eagle Rare myself.