Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Minarchist

Minarchist Senior member

Score! I stopped by my local Froogal's over lunch and they had everything in stock. Picked up a bottle each of ER 17 and the Stagg. Wanted to get more but at $86 a pop (GOD I hate the Tennessee Sin Taxes) that's about all I could swing at the moment. May go back to pick up Sazerac 18 later.

...or maybe the Weller? Sell me on it, I've never had it before.

Best of all is I got in some good facetime with their bourbon buyer, who is the guy who makes the calls for the PVW list when it comes in.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

No, I bought a bottle of the Handy last year, and just was not bowled over by it. I tend to prefer bourbon to rye..

3. highball

highball Senior member

I'm jealous. I was on the list at my local store but they don't let you reserve, just call you when it comes in. They left a message on my cell at 11:40am yesterday but I was in meetings--apparently everything was sold out by 1pm. :brick:

Does anyone know where I can find the details on the PVW release?

4. slide13

slide13 Senior member

I need a bottle of bourbon, haven't had one for a while and just finished off my only bottle of whiskey a little while ago (Templeton Rye). I'm more of a Scotch drinker but it's just too expensive sometimes. I usually pick up Eagle Rare as I like it and it's really cheap. So, what other bourbon should I try that is affordable. I've tried Knob Creek and was unimpressed, but that is the sum of my bourbon experience.

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

tips for what would be a very vanilla-y chocolate-y mellow-y bourbon thank. with 50 as the ceiling 20-40 ideal.

6. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

Anyone in Washington? Will the passage of 1183 bring a little more variety to the bourbon selection here?

7. ama

ama Senior member

I don't like Woodford, but it is pretty much what you are describing aside from the chocolate.

8. Crawford

Crawford Senior member

Went to a place with a large, nice supply of different Canadian Whisky, Rye and Bourbon. Asked for a Manhattan and told them to surprise with "something nice" as the spirit. Manhattan I received was made with Knob Creek and I was not impressed at all.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

was it standard Knob Creek? You know, in the real world, just be happy it wasn't Old Grand Dad or something, Knob Creek is 'nice' in the realm of things. I had Knob Creek 9 year recently and it was actually a pretty damn good whiskey.

10. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Yeah, there was a good article in a recent Malt Advocate about "table bourbon" and how so many people tend to gravitate towards top shelf bourbons, without ever trying things like Jim Beam Black or Wild Turkey. I think Knob Creek is very good for what it is and where it is priced. Hell, I'd probably resist ever mixing a really good bourbon anyway, that's what the cheap stuff is for, lol

11. rwbenjey

rwbenjey Well-Known Member

Booker's is great! Anyone had any of the bottlings from George T Stagg? I'm curious.

12. ama

ama Senior member

Yes, many. 100% worth it assuming you aren't being gouged (> $90ish).

:foo: edits aren't working, I'm not illiterate...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  13. ama

ama Senior member

Edits aren't working, I meant assuming, not assume. Just want to point out I'm not drunk poasting or illiterate.

14. denning

denning Senior member

Not a bourbon, but I feel it fits in this thread. I picked up a bottle of this year's Thomas Handy rye while in NY last week. Looking forward to cracking it open tonight.

15. ama

ama Senior member

Its awesome. Enjoy!