1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. STK_astoria

STK_astoria Well-Known Member

^ If you have Eagle Rare, then going with Buffalo Trace and Sazerac lets you explore the same distillery. Rittenhouse and Old Olverholt are both classic American rye at great prices. Around $40 for bourbon opens up solid choices like Michter's, Four Roses and Russel Reserve. Enjoy the hunt.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i also actually like whistle pig for rye despite the price.

i would look for some elmer t lee in the city but I'm also in love with elijah craig 12 if you can't find elmer t lee

3. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

I would recommend something that you can't get at the lcbo. I have yet to try them, but would look to angels envy or mitchers or a four roses single barrel. There are so many bourbons available that we don't get in Ontario, it would be worth trying one of them.

4. denning

denning Senior member

It's not bourbon, but the LCBO has Masterson's rye which is quite nice.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

6. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

tonight's first pour is '13 ER17. like this year's Stagg, I like this one a lot more after the first couple pours.

7. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I have mine up on the block...I've heard its the best of the BTAC this year, but I just so much prefer a good Barrel Proof.

8. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Maybe it's from drinking so much stagg but the Thomas h handy hides its alcohol a lot better. I like it better than the sazerac 18 even diluted. I like stagg even better tho

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Parker's heritage 7th really reminds me of pappy 15. It's a 10 yo but was placed higher up in the warehouse. I think I might buy a bottle for myself. I've seen it for $90 a bottle which seems like a lot for a 10 yo but IMO it's worth it.

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

My partner enjoys a cocktail as much as I do -- our current bar is in a huge china cabinet in the dining room, because why not? It is overflowing rather a bit into the sideboard. Maybe the worst pics ever:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~ H

2 people like this.
  11. NewYorkIslander

Nice! I just found a 1986 distillation of Mac 18.

My collection is embarrassingly huge.

Sipping on 4R 2012 Small Batch tonight...delicious!

The Promise of Hope is nice, though it doesn't taste much like a wheater to me, though in its smoothness I can see what you mean by comparing it to the ORVW 10. I like the ORVW10 very much this year...last years, not so much.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Really? I thought it was very much a wheated. I didn't get the bad reviews for 10. I thought it was delicious

Huntsman didn't you have a bar in your garage with hundreds of bottles?

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

How does dusty hunting work? Visit a ton of shops and look for bottles with older labels?

14. NewYorkIslander

Pretty much...but do it in bad neighborhoods.

15. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

i know a few guys that go into the depths of Detroit. they find some crazy stuff like bottles from the 80s, but also some new(ish) stuff like parkers heritage 5th etc.

16. NewYorkIslander

Detroit would scare me. The closest I've come to Newark has been Elizabeth...and I've found cool stuff there. I can imagine what Newark holds...

17. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I think Rambo started the meme that I had a bar in the garage, nope, just cars. My old bar took up a wall of the den, though, and had just topped out a hair over 280 bottles, not including wine. I was rather proudest of the well, with three gins, two whiskies, brandy, cognac, vodka, Cointreau and Woodford in 1L or 1.75L, all on shallow shelves behind where the door opened. That was pretty awesome. Here's the last pic I took. Storage, the lamer modifiers, and dupes were below, with mixers and such:

[​IMG]

I have been most lucky in neighborhoods that were nice, but took a dive in the last decade or so. NYI, have you ever been uncomfortable leaving places? I've been harangued twice, and was followed out of a shop by a guy who was yelling at me once.

~ H

2 people like this.
  18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

That is a nice collection. Didn't you also have a ton of mini bottles? Some pretty rare stuff too iirc

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I have a lot of minis -- largely inherited from my father who flew a lot in the '60s and collected them on flights. It you blow up that pic you can see them all in the foreground of the shelves. I had a goodly amount (to me) of rare things, especially when I was really collecting like 5 years ago. Still have some because I am reticent about opening bottles - Rit 25, Port Ellen, various other old scotches, my beloved old Campari, some decent cognac and armagnac. But these days the selection has really exploded, making the meaning of rare somewhat.....unclear. Especially with stuff like Pappy, which isn't actually rare, its just controlled in the face of largely ignorant demand.

These days I am largely into odd and high quality modifiers, and especially vermouths -- very inexpensive, fun to seek out, and great payback in terms of cocktails.

~ H

1 person likes this.
  20. NewYorkIslander

Just once...in Queens. Was like a scene from a bad movie...bunch of guys drinking 250 ml booze on the street next to a guy in a wheel chair...just talk as we left, nothing much else. There was a strong police presence there though, which may have saved us. I try not doing those places alone.