Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Anyone try Markers Mark "47"? It's finished in some different way. I was "forced" to buy a bottle as my local place had a tasting and the girl serving it was super hot. It's actually pretty good, not sure if I like it more than Bookers, but it's good stuff.

I have a bottle of it. It's not spectacular, but it's a decent enough bottle. There was a lot of hype around its release though

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Anyone try Markers Mark "47"? It's finished in some different way. I was "forced" to buy a bottle as my local place had a tasting and the girl serving it was super hot. It's actually pretty good, not sure if I like it more than Bookers, but it's good stuff.

I'm not a fran of regular Maker's, but this is slightly better than that.. I don't find it to be even close to Booker's, from a taste perspective, but it's interesting enough that I reach for it every few weeks.. I think I read that they finish it with charred French oak staves, and that's what gives it it's different character compared to regular MM.

Best reason ever for buying bourbon, I've done it a few times myself.. [​IMG]

3. slide13

slide13 Senior member

I've just started getting into bourbon, always been more of a Scotch fan but the cost is just too high to drink it too frequently. Bourbon seems much more affordable. I've had Bookers at a few bars and have really enjoyed it. Last year I bought a bottle of Knob Creek and didn't much care for it and only recently gave bourbon a try again when I picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare at my brother's suggestions (and because it's freaking cheap as hell at $23). I was surprised at how much I liked it, especially considering the low price. So...with the knowledge that Bookers and Eagle Rare are a "go" but Knob is a "no-go" what should I try next? Any other bourbons similar to ER (as in good and cheap)?

4. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I've just started getting into bourbon, always been more of a Scotch fan but the cost is just too high to drink it too frequently. Bourbon seems much more affordable. I've had Bookers at a few bars and have really enjoyed it. Last year I bought a bottle of Knob Creek and didn't much care for it and only recently gave bourbon a try again when I picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare at my brother's suggestions (and because it's freaking cheap as hell at $23). I was surprised at how much I liked it, especially considering the low price. So...with the knowledge that Bookers and Eagle Rare are a "go" but Knob is a "no-go" what should I try next? Any other bourbons similar to ER (as in good and cheap)?

If you like Booker's and ER, try Noah's Mill. Also, not terribly cheap, but if you can find it, at $50 for a 375 ml, try Hudson Four Grain bourbon. Also, Wild Turkey Rare Breed barrel proof.

5. ama

ama Senior member

Buffalo Trace, Rowen's Creek and Old Forrester's Birthday bourbon also fit your bill. Gnatty's suggestions are all good too.

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

7. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

ummmmmm for saving you $$$$$$ on your humidor, you should send me a bottle.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ama

ama Senior member

They're here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NICE!! Get the Weller though!!!

9. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

They're here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

worth quoting again...
    holy smokes....

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

They're here... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt........

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

NICE!! Get the Weller though!!!

Tried it. No likey... [​IMG]

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

ummmmmm for saving you $$$$$$ on your humidor, you should send me a bottle.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

lol, in all seriousness, I probably should..

Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt........

My thoughts exactly.. Having a glass of the ER 17 right now.. Unreal..

13. FemteKapitel

FemteKapitel New Member

I once went to rehab after drinking a bottle of Bulleit (and a liter of Early Times Mint Julep without the mint or water, and several bottles of wine, and maybe some beer too).

14. ama

ama Senior member

Tried it. No likey... [​IMG]

Really? The WL Weller in the Antique Series? I thought you liked wheaters!

15. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Really? The WL Weller in the Antique Series? I thought you liked wheaters!

No, I have never been a big fran of wheated bourbons, with the exception of PVW. Find them too drab. I like whiskies with a lot of punch.