• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
It's crazy how the taste changes from second to second, and depending on where it is in the mouth. The tip of the tongue only for the first half a second has definite tinges of honey before transforming. I never really pay attention to the taste of my liquor, so this is quite new to me.

That is a best way to taste fine liquor. You need to move it around your mouth. Wait till you start trying Islay scotches and taste salt, that is a real eye opener.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
That is a best way to taste fine liquor. You need to move it around your mouth. Wait till you start trying Islay scotches and taste salt, that is a real eye opener.

Islays are really fun, lots of peat, charcoal, smoke, etc... Ardbeg Ten was my first Islay and adding just a bit of branch water opened up some great citrus notes

FWIW, I find the revies on Whisky Mag to be quite good, most feature Michael Jackson. It's always fun to compare what you taste to what the "pros" notice.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to enter this thread with the most general, noob question possible:

I'm thinking about picking up some bourbon tonight. Local shop has a decent selection, what should I look for?

I more often go with scotch (e.g. Aberlour 16 or Macallan 15 or 18) but want to try something different. Would like to keep it <$50, since I don't know if I will like the particular spirit. Thanks.

ACDoyle

Reaction score
Get yourself about two or three different bourbons, like Eagle Rare 10, Maker's Mark and Bulleit - as they are different types of bourbon and see what you like. All three should run you around $75 total

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ACDoyle
Get yourself about two or three different bourbons, like Eagle Rare 10, Maker's Mark and Bulleit - as they are different types of bourbon and see what you like. All three should run you around $75 total

Those are 3 great suggestions, and all are very different. If I recall correctly, Bulleit is a bit more rye-like, i.e. spicy, whereas Makers is the complete opposite - no rye at all, i.e. sweeter. Then there's Eagle Rare - just really good, balanced bourbon. I might suggest swapping out the Eagle Rare though for Buffalo Trace (same distillery as Eagle Rare, I think), to save a few bucks.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woodford Reserve is always a great bourbon

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
I'm going to enter this thread with the most general, noob question possible:

I'm thinking about picking up some bourbon tonight. Local shop has a decent selection, what should I look for?

I would probably look for Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Knob Creek in that price range. If you can find it, Noah's Mill is under 50 bucks and one of my top 10 bourbons. If it were me, I'd skip the Woodford Reserve, Bulleit, and Maker's Mark. None of these are very good examples of how good bourbon can be. If you want something really interesting, try Booker's. I have never come across another bourbon that has a flavor similar to Booker's, it's quite unique.

Having a Black Maple Hill right now. Decent whiskey, but not worth writing home over..

Tarvold

Reaction score
Eagle Rare is a great choice for not that much money.

If $$$ is no problem go with Pappy Van Winkel.

And Bourbon should be on the rocks, or with a little water.

Cid

Reaction score
Traditional opening day of dove season bourbon tasting and shoot.

Pappy 15yr won

tasting1.jpg

Pappy15yr.jpg

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got put on the wait list for Eagle Rare 17 and George T. Stagg, wish me luck
lol8[1].gif
That PVW is tempting me too though

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
The salt is an incredible experience. For me it was Oban Distillery's, and I love it for the sweet saltiness, like a salted caramel.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarvold
And Bourbon should be on the rocks, or with a little water.

Disagree.

Originally Posted by Aaron01
Got put on the wait list for Eagle Rare 17 and George T. Stagg, wish me luck
lol8[1].gif

That PVW is tempting me too though

Good luck on the waitlist, sucks you have to resort to that. It flows freely (for a couple months at least) here in the great white north.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Huntsman
The salt is an incredible experience. For me it was Oban Distillery's, and I love it for the sweet saltiness, like a salted caramel.

I get it in a lot of the Highland Park stuff too, especially the older ones.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Good luck on the waitlist, sucks you have to resort to that. It flows freely (for a couple months at least) here in the great white north.
laugh.gif

Store said they didn't get any in but I could go on the list and have some reserved if they did. Figured it couldn't hurt, I can always check other stores too
laugh.gif

Kyoung05

Reaction score
I just tried some of the Makers 46 this weekend. Wasn't bad - to me, it definitely tasted nothing like the standard Makers, which I believe has little to no rye. The 46, on the other hand, was definitely spicy - kind of like Bulleit, but sweeter. Definitely not bad, but not my favorite to drink neat. I ended up adding a splash of water to take off some of the roughness, and it was a bit more enjoyable. Given its spiciness, it'd probably make a decent Manhattan in a pinch (if no rye is available). I wouldn't order it again, but definitely worth trying if you get the chance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads