• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a bottle of Maker's Mark 46 (meh) and AH Hirsch small batch reserve

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yalls,

Just got a nice bottle of Bourbon from a friend. As someone who is a functional and not gustatory drinker, I don't really know how to properly enjoy a real brown liquor. It is a relatively strong alcoholic bourbon. I assume this means I should be a bit more liberal in the splash of water I put in the glass to open up the taste.

How do I drink a good Bourbon unwastefully? Slowly, swirling the liquor in my mouth before drinking it?

Thanks.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Yalls,

Just got a nice bottle of Bourbon from a friend. As someone who is a functional and not gustatory drinker, I don't really know how to properly enjoy a real brown liquor. It is a relatively strong alcoholic bourbon. I assume this means I should be a bit more liberal in the splash of water I put in the glass to open up the taste.

How do I drink a good Bourbon unwastefully? Slowly, swirling the liquor in my mouth before drinking it?

Thanks.

You seems to have it right. Just focus on it a little more and try to pick apart the tastes. Also, smaller pours.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just becareful not to use too much branch water, you just want to calm it down, not dilute the palate.

Also, I've found that trying different whiskies (i.e. not just drinking bourbon, but rye, scotch, etc..) helps to decipher different tasting notes

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
You seems to have it right. Just focus on it a little more and try to pick apart the tastes. Also, smaller pours.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Aaron01
Just becareful not to use too much branch water, you just want to calm it down, not dilute the palate.

What is "branch water"? Is tap water fine or will that "ruin the balance" or something like that?

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ The super hardcore people will tell you to use distilled water or bottled water. Honestly, your palette (and mine) isn't refined enough to taste a difference. Use distilled if you have it, otherwise just use bottled (tap as a last resort).

I usually taste small sips at a time when drinking fine spirits.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
^ The super hardcore people will tell you to use distilled water or bottled water. Honestly, your palette (and mine) isn't refined enough to taste a difference. Use distilled if you have it, otherwise just use bottled (tap as a last resort).

I usually taste small sips at a time when drinking fine spirits.

I use distilled water.
blush.gif
That being said, I would use NYC tap over most bottled water except maybe Fiji or Voss.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Serious question - how much is a splash of water? I am drinking Rowan's Creek, which is 100.1 proof and supposedly a strong bourbon according to google. Thanks.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm...this bourbon tastes like bourbon. Maybe I need to meditate on it.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serious question - how much is a splash of water? I am drinking Rowan's Creek, which is 100.1 proof and supposedly a strong bourbon according to google. Thanks.

I love Rowans Creek. I don't think it needs much water at all. Maybe a drop or two if you want to experiment. Try it plain first. Also, when I say a drop or two that isn't a figure of speech, I mean a drop or two. Enjoy, and let us know what you think!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
I love Rowans Creek. I don't think it needs much water at all. Maybe a drop or two if you want to experiment. Try it plain first. Also, when I say a drop or two that isn't a figure of speech, I mean a drop or two. Enjoy, and let us know what you think!

Crap I put in a splash, literally. Oh well, next time I will drink it more neat.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crap I put in a splash, literally. Oh well, next time I will drink it more neat.

That might be why it tastes like bourbon and nothing more special. The extra power is what gives it more flavor and complexity. Try with less water next time, I think you will find it more interesting.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
That might be why it tastes like bourbon and nothing more special. The extra power is what gives it more flavor and complexity. Try with less water next time, I think you will find it more interesting.

Definitely has a sweetish first touch, like honey, and then turns to something more "bourbony" I guess. The word oakey is used by some...but I'm not sure what that means to be honest.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely has a sweetish first touch, like honey, and then turns to something more "bourbony" I guess. The word oakey is used by some...but I'm not sure what that means to be honest.

Its a slight woody bitterness. Kind of tastes like sucking a woodchip.
smile.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Its a slight woody bitterness. Kind of tastes like sucking a woodchip.
smile.gif

It's crazy how the taste changes from second to second, and depending on where it is in the mouth. The tip of the tongue only for the first half a second has definite tinges of honey before transforming. I never really pay attention to the taste of my liquor, so this is quite new to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics