1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

But it is not bourbon as defined under Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 1, Part 5, Section 5.22.

Is there really a regulation for this? If so, we are fucked for sure.

I actually agree that Jack and Dickel are not bourbons but Tennessee Whiskey, but then again, I don't really get heartburn when people refer to them as such. There's more important things on the internets to argue about.

2. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

Is there really a regulation for this? If so, we are fucked for sure.

I actually agree that Jack and Dickel are not bourbons but Tennessee Whiskey, but then again, I don't really get heartburn when people refer to them as such. There's more important things on the internets to argue about.

According to Wikipedia there is. I read the regulation in question, and couldn't really tell where it said anything like that, but I also didn't really put much time or effort into trying to interpret it.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.1.3&idno=27

On an unrelated note, has anyone heard about there being a shortage of Sazerac 6 year? I noticed that I hadn't seen any around lately, but finally found some. The store that had it actually had to select a specific barrel and purchase the whole thing. They said that once they are out of it they won't be getting any more in as Sazerac will only be sold on premises. Anyone else heard something of that nature?

3. ama

ama Senior member

On an unrelated note, has anyone heard about there being a shortage of Sazerac 6 year? I noticed that I hadn't seen any around lately, but finally found some. The store that had it actually had to select a specific barrel and purchase the whole thing. They said that once they are out of it they won't be getting any more in as Sazerac will only be sold on premises. Anyone else heard something of that nature?

I don't believe that to be true. Saz 6 is probably the most popular rye on the market and with the current resurgence in rye I can't see it going anywhere. Its still plentiful in MN.

4. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

I don't believe that to be true. Saz 6 is probably the most popular rye on the market and with the current resurgence in rye I can't see it going anywhere. Its still plentiful in MN.

Good to hear. I bought three bottles as a precaution. They will go to good use.

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Picked up the 1997 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon. Very nice, and I don't like run of the mill OF.

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Kirkland Bourbon sucks. Even at $17 I would not recommend.

7. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

Kirkland Bourbon sucks. Even at $17 I would not recommend.

Eh, I thought it wasn't bad, and I paid $20 for it. I also used it to make my spin on an old-fashioned - mixed it with some clementine-infused simple syrup and angostura bitters - and it was pretty good too. Sure, for around $20 I'd rather have a 750ml bottle of Buffalo Trace, or I'd even prefer to pay $5 more for a 750ml bottle of Eagle Rare 10yr, but I wouldn't say it sucks.

8. Prince

Prince Senior member

Just back from the liqour store. Wanted to stock up a bit. Was looking for Woodford since I loved it last time I had it, but they ran out of it. Didn't know what to get Bourbon wise so ended up giving Makers a try. You don't see it that often over here, so it is not as regular as for you guys. Had a small sip when I got home (not too much, it is freaking hot right now so prefer the beer) and the first impression was pretty positive. Then again, I can only give my opinion after a few glasses, so watch this space. [​IMG]

9. BCD

BCD Well-Known Member

As a resident of the great Commonwealth of Kentucky, I drink a lot of bourbon and try many different kinds. Came across a good "bang for the buck" the other day. Russell's Reserve. It's a 10-year bourbon under $30. Very, very underrated IMO. That is all.

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Hope its better than their rye, which I really do not enjoy.

11. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Picked up the 1997 Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon. Very nice, and I don't like run of the mill OF.

Their Birthday Bourbons are head and shoulders above the regular stuff. I just finished a bottle of the 1995, and I'll miss it. Each year is somewhat different, but they're all excellent from what I've tried.

Retailers hate them, the bottle takes up way too much shelf space [​IMG]

12. Esa

Esa Active Member

Ok. I just polished off a bottle of Four Roses single barrel (from BevMo). I liked it but want to try something new and I'm looking for advice as I'm pretty new to bourbon. I've tried Mark's and Bulliet as a base for my ol' fashion. I've now tried makers 46 and four roses straight - I liked the roses better. I have a bottle of Eagle Rare 17 that I'm enjoying only on special occasions (ie San Jose Shark games)...

Any suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks

13. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Bookers
    Noah's Mill
    ER10

14. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Hope its better than their rye, which I really do not enjoy.

Funny you should say that. I bought a bottle of the rye a few months back, but never opened it until last night. Did not like it at all. Not even remotely. Seemed very one dimensional, grassy almost. Not sure if I can even use it to mix.. [​IMG]

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Funny you should say that. I bought a bottle of the rye a few months back, but never opened it until last night. Did not like it at all. Not even remotely. Seemed very one dimensional, grassy almost. Not sure if I can even use it to mix.. [​IMG]
    My notes read, "Flat. Do not buy again." I killed the bottle on Ward 8's, and really, even they didn't seem that good, which is remarkable. ~ H

16. GreenNYC

GreenNYC Senior member

Tried a new bourbon last weekend.....Redemption High-rye Bourbon. The salesman told me that it has a higher rye content than most bourbons. I found it to be far smoother than KC, EC or Bulleit. You can definitely note the rye. Overall I found it to be quite different than other bourbons I've tasted....mellower.

17. Big A

Big A Senior member

Killed another bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23. Liked it a lot, but could it have a dumber name?

18. ama

ama Senior member

Killed another bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 23. Liked it a lot, but could it have a dumber name?

Yes.

19. Big A

Big A Senior member

Yes.
    [​IMG] WRONG! The correct answer is "NO!" Pappy Van Winkle is the dumbest name for a Bourbon EVER! [/end90'sreference]

20. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

very nice.. ama and I had a good discussion here a year or so back on whether or not the 23 yo was worth the upcharge from the 20 yo. I felt it was, and still do, but I don't buy it regularly. I think I have a half bottle stuffed somewhere in the recesses of my measly bar.