Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

For $20 Elijah Craig is much better than Bulliet.

it's relative. I finished a bottle of EC fairly quickly so I could move on to something else: it was spicier than I prefer. Then I got Bulleit and don't even want to uncork the damn bottle - wish I had the EC back.

2. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

Definitely not loving Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It will likely end up in whiskey sours once autumn really gets going. Or it might just go down the sink. Glad to have only bought a small bottle.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Definitely not loving Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It will likely end up in whiskey sours once autumn really gets going. Or it might just go down the sink. Glad to have only bought a small bottle.

Whoa, something's wrong here. I think WT Rare Breed is a very good whiskey, but it's uncut, so you may want to take some of the heat down with ice or some spring water. What didn't you like about it? I bought it not expecting much, but was very pleasantly surprised.

One of my favorite whiskeys these days is the Hudson. I started with the Four Grain, which was good, and went to the Baby Bourbon (just tonight actually) and its fantastic stuff. Only available in 375 ml bottles so at least if you find you don't like it, you don't have to look at it for long..

4. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

Well, I admit to having an unsophisticated palate. However, the Rare Breed just tasted like ethyl to me - and that is after cutting with filtered water (don't like ice). Knob Creek has that ethyl taste too but it was very easy to drink. Maybe I will come back to the Rare Breed later for another try.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

knocking back a bit of Buffalo Trace while I run ethernet cable through the house.

6. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

Old Crow and Coke...anyone? For some reason I actually don't mind the stuff, but I still have yet to figure out the reason.

7. cab

cab Active Member

I enjoy Elmer T. Lee. Also, it is a wonderful value.

8. cadillac37

cadillac37 Senior member

I have a question for the bourbon afficionados on this board. I really enjoy the "antique" Weller that is 107 proof. In my local liquor store there is also a bottle of Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof. It is roughly twice the price of the Weller. How does the Van Winkle compare to the Weller? They are both from the same company and come in similiar bottles with the same characteristics (wheated bourbon at the same proof), so I'm hesitant to shell out extra money before I know that it is worth it. I've had the 20 yr Van Winkle and it is obviously outstanding, but I've never tried the other offerings. Anyone had both that can weigh in?

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I have a question for the bourbon afficionados on this board. I really enjoy the "antique" Weller that is 107 proof. In my local liquor store there is also a bottle of Van Winkle 10 year 107 proof. It is roughly twice the price of the Weller. How does the Van Winkle compare to the Weller? They are both from the same company and come in similiar bottles with the same characteristics (wheated bourbon at the same proof), so I'm hesitant to shell out extra money before I know that it is worth it. I've had the 20 yr Van Winkle and it is obviously outstanding, but I've never tried the other offerings. Anyone had both that can weigh in?

Never had the Weller or the 10 year old Van Winkle,

10. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

i have not tried the weller, but the van winkle 10 is very good.

11. ama

ama Senior member

The Weller is sweeter in my opinion. I think its a better value too.

12. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Old Crow and Coke...anyone? For some reason I actually don't mind the stuff, but I still have yet to figure out the reason.
    I've never had OC but I'm sure it's fine for mixing.

13. dv3

dv3 Senior member

I just got some of this and have been enjoying it: [​IMG]

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Picked up a bottle of cask strength Parker Heritage collection the other day. Any good?

15. ama

ama Senior member

Picked up a bottle of cask strength Parker Heritage collection the other day. Any good?

Which ABV? There are three, I had all them at a tasting back to back to back. The 61 and 63 are great, the 64 seems very hot. The 63 was my favorite and the one I brought home.