Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Picked this bottle up this today:

[​IMG]

2. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

I had the Vintage Bourbon 17 year old last week -- I liked it. Spicey and complex.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Picked this bottle up this today:

[​IMG]

Good find. How did you find it? Corn is very distinct in the mashbill, which I like.

I had the Vintage Bourbon 17 year old last week -- I liked it. Spicey and complex.

It is growing on me. When I first bought it, I had a WTF moment with my first glass, and didn't have another until a few weeks later. I am not sure but it seems as if breathing a bit really opened it up.

Having a Knob Creek right now, amd probably progress into Pappy Van Winkle 15 yo or the Hudson Four Grain a little later.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Good find. How did you find it? Corn is very distinct in the mashbill, which I like.

Haven't tried it yet. Maybe next weekend. Also had the straight rye there, but as my shopping cart was already getting a bit expensive looking, I passed on it this visit.

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Haven't tried it yet. Maybe next weekend. Also had the straight rye there, but as my shopping cart was already getting a bit expensive looking, I passed on it this visit.

oooh, bad idea, one of the best ryes I have had in a long time.. Put back some of that fancy schmancy wine and get the rye next time.. [​IMG]

6. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

I promised that I would get the rye a while back, but I think they only had the basic version, rather than the 10yr.

7. ama

ama Senior member

I have not, should I?

I think if you like Noah's Mill you'll like Rowans a lot. Its very smooth and has a nice dry finish. I don't like overtly sweet bourbons so this profile suits me.

If it was the standard, its ok. If you passed on the ten year though, ouch!

8. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

In rectifying my bourbon ignorance I have recently worked my way through bottles of Knob Creek, Bulleit and Makers. I thought the Knob was very smooth but really liked the bit of spice in Bulleit.

Today I picked up Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Buffalo Trace. I would appreciate any recommendations for the next bottle or two - preferably something readily available as I have been banished to the hinterlands for the next year. Price is less a concern than availability.

Thanks.

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

In rectifying my bourbon ignorance I have recently worked my way through bottles of Knob Creek, Bulleit and Makers. I thought the Knob was very smooth but really liked the bit of spice in Bulleit.

Today I picked up Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Buffalo Trace. I would appreciate any recommendations for the next bottle or two - preferably something readily available as I have been banished to the hinterlands for the next year. Price is less a concern than availability.

Thanks.

You might be better off giving us some names of bourbons your store carries, I could literally give you 10 or 12 recommendations.. Either that or take a look at some of the stuff I've posted.. I am pretty picky about my bourbon, and rarely give a bottle a second chance so my own rotation is pretty close to what I would recommend you anyway.. Good luck in the hinterlands, drink plenty, drink often..

10. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

You might be better off giving us some names of bourbons your store carries, I could literally give you 10 or 12 recommendations.. Either that or take a look at some of the stuff I've posted.. I am pretty picky about my bourbon, and rarely give a bottle a second chance so my own rotation is pretty close to what I would recommend you anyway.. Good luck in the hinterlands, drink plenty, drink often..

Thank you. That is a good idea.

For the record, I just poured my first Buffalo Trace and it is just awesome. Fruity but not so sweet as Makers. My favorite so far.

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Thank you. That is a good idea.

For the record, I just poured my first Buffalo Trace and it is just awesome. Fruity but not so sweet as Makers. My favorite so far.

Buffalo Trace is good, but you are in for an awakening if you try some of the others..

12. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Working on a bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 Year... too hot neat, but a lot better with a touch of water. Good on rocks. Overall, not better enough than Bulleitt to justify the few bucks more.

13. happy hooligan

happy hooligan Senior member

I just cracked open my first bottle of Bulliet. Not bad for under 20 bucks...

14. ama

ama Senior member

For $20 Elijah Craig is much better than Bulliet.

15. happy hooligan

happy hooligan Senior member

For $20 Elijah Craig is much better than Bulliet.

then Ellijah Craig will be my next bottle I buy....