• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Mmm yes, indubidably old chap.

hahaha

aight well anyway i downed some neat Makers today

then i had some dewar's white label, which cost the same. honestly guys, it's not even debatable. the scotch is better

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
hahaha aight well anyway i downed some neat Makers today then i had some dewar's white label, which cost the same. honestly guys, it's not even debatable. the scotch is better
They are two entirely separate things and should be judged as such. Next you're going to be saying salsa is better than a marinara or a stout better than a pale ale. You may have a preference, but one is not definitively "better" than the other.

Southern Beau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Favorite bourbon? The one with alcohol.

I keep around Dickle #12 and Fighting Cock. Dickle is much sweeter, while the Cock is drier, stronger, and has a strong peppery rye flavor. I enjoy Maker's when out as an apperitif to a meal, since it's a sweet candyish drink available at most restaurants.

Morgan, Southern Beau - are ya'll drinking the base Forrester, or their more expensive offering?

Honestly I was drinking the base which, for the money, isn't that bad of a bourbon. Again this is a good bourbon if I don't want to weep over if confiscated by those pesky gate keepers.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
They are two entirely separate things and should be judged as such. Next you're going to be saying salsa is better than a marinara or a stout better than a pale ale. You may have a preference, but one is not definitively "better" than the other.

come on now, sir.

just come on.

a mediocre scotch vs a middle-of-the-line bourbon, and the scotch wins

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
come on now, sir.

just come on.

No, salsa verde is better.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't be afraid

i'll always be here for you The Wayfarer

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Favorite bourbon? The one with alcohol. I keep around Dickle #12 and Fighting Cock. Dickle is much sweeter, while the Cock is drier, stronger, and has a strong peppery rye flavor. I enjoy Maker's when out as an apperitif to a meal, since it's a sweet candyish drink available at most restaurants. Morgan, Southern Beau - are ya'll drinking the base Forrester, or their more expensive offering?
dickle is not bourbon. and one coming from the saem region where both types of whiskey are produced it should be a commonly known fact.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
come on now, sir.

just come on.

Not in my book, which just goes to prove his point.

Morgan

Reaction score
Ludykrus - I was drinking both, actually. I picked up bottle of their standard stuff to park at my girlfriend's house and a bottle of the Signature for my place. The price difference was only a couple bucks, but I think the Signature was better. They're the same recipe, but Signature is 100 proof and the standard stuff is watered down to 80, with a commensurate loss of flavor. That's not to knock the regular stuff - I was very impressed with that, too. The Birthday Bourbon is another thing entirely, meant for neat sipping.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
After seeing it mentioned a few times in this thread and elsewhere, I made it a point to have a Basil Hayden's neat after dinner this evening. I've had it in the past, most profanely on the rocks, but that was before I began to take bourbon seriously. Trying it again tonight, the way it was intended, was very much an "awe inspiring" experience. All I can say is, "wow." Just wow. It definitely annoyed my girlfriend how much more I was swooning over the Hayden's than her. She'll just have to get over it.

I'd need to do a side by side tasting before really saying for sure, but Basil Hayden's is now right there next to Booker's for me -- if not nudging its way into the lead. These are two Kentucky thoroughbreds to be reckoned with.

Coincidently, both are small batch Bourbons produced by Jim Beam.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
After seeing it mentioned a few times in this thread and elsewhere, I made it a point to have a Basil Hayden's neat after dinner this evening. I've had it in the past, most profanely on the rocks, but that was before I began to take bourbon seriously. Trying it again tonight, the way it was intended, was very much an "awe inspiring" experience. All I can say is, "wow." Just wow. It definitely annoyed my girlfriend how much more I was swooning over the Hayden's than her. She'll just have to get over it.

Funny, I tried Basil last night too after reading about it here. I was really blown away. I'd never even heard of it but I saw that the pub had it and tried some on the rocks... it was really, really good. Luckily, my gf wasn't there so I didn't have to deal with not paying attention lol

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
dickle is not bourbon. and one coming from the saem region where both types of whiskey are produced it should be a commonly known fact.

Yeah yeah, I know. It's a charcoal-mellowed Tennessee whiskey. Bourbon is at least 51% corn in the mash bill, yada yada yada. Thank god I have you around to correct me.

Morgan and Southern Beau - Both offerings of Forrester are indeed fine. I used to keep the 80 proof Forrester around until I started drinking spicier, higher proof whiskies. My taste changed and the softer (a bit of vanilla?) taste started not sitting right with me, so I never replaced the last bottle I consumed.

Evan Williams is another good, cheapish bourbon I used to keep around.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
come on now, sir.

just come on.

Absolutely not. As the other guy said-- they are different animals. I am honestly not really a scotch fan, though once and a while I will have a glass. The peat flavor is something I really dislike.
Frankly I prefer bourbon or triple distilled Irish whiskey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads