• We would like to welcome Larimars Luxury Menswear as an official Affiliate Vendor. Larimars, based in Ontario, Canada, and specializing in handmade and semi-handmade shirts made in their family owned factory, with over 1000 fabrics from which to choose!

Please check out their thread on here, welcome them, and take advantage of their introductory offer for Styleforum. The discount code is in thread!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bourbon.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back when I was a grad student I gave bottles of Pappy 15 as gifts to friends, multiple times. Always had one on my bar. Think it was $54/bottle back then.
Sounds about right. I knew the worm had turned when one of the stores I used to be able to count on to bring me a good bottle from the back offered me a bottle of the 15 year old for just $400. Lol? Fifteen is good, but I'd never pay more than $150 to $200 for it. Suffice to say, I never went back, and took my liquor spend to a competitor. There are a few bars here in Houston where I regularly indulge in a glass of the 15 or 20, but only when it is on a bank's dime lol.

Interesting how there is a regional element to the scarcity also. I routinely see bottles of Weller and Buffalo Trace languishing on the shelves here in Houston, whereas they seem to sell out in other states fairly quickly. Seems like the distilleries or distributors or someone is not doing a great job at optimizing allocation of their production.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll grab ER and Trace and Blanton's all day at NEX prices (23, 19, and 43 respectively). no way in hell i'd pay "maryland" prices for any of them. or wait in line lol.

plenty out there that isn't allocated that's a far superior value, but it's fun to pour a flight for friends that's stuff like Trace, Eagle, Elijah, Yellowstone, Blantons, and Woodford DO, blind. See which they like most, but impresses upon them that just because it's hyped on social media, doesn't make it the best out there.

And in about 6-7 weeks I'll be snagging a trio of Japanese Blanton's ("red") from a buddy stationed over there, coming back here for a bit for some classes. Definitely not paying secondary on those. :D
I've found my local (well, local to my shack in Tennessee) store's barrel picks from Yellowstone to be some of the best bourbons I will taste all year. Just impress the hell out of me.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only started in on bourbon after single malts got too expensive and far inferior quality. For both, we’ll have to wait out the cycle of bad business/terrible quality which will likely shutter a number of operations in the 5-10yr period. Or have inflation accelerate that.
A lot of the larger distilleries (especially those under the Saz umbrella, but certainly not limited to them by any stretch) have been building and building and building the last several years. RUMINT is Trace and HH are on the short list to more than double output in the next, eh, probably 5-6 years now (it was around 2018 I think I saw the first confirmations of all the expansions in progress). HH confirmed they're looking to be close to triple production numbers in about 8 years when i hit up the experience last fall.

Nothing like an eventual market flood to really shake things up eh? :p

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing like an eventual market flood to really shake things up eh? :p
See my note on quality.

Again, very similar actions in the single malt world. Best example off the top of my head is Macallan who significantly expanded - probably at way too much cost and flooded the market with inferior products. NAS (no age statements) are the usual crap with the exception being a select few across all single malts.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have a lot of experience with wine barrel finishes but saw this at costco for $45 and was intrigued.
20220821_133859.jpg
You definitely get the dark fruit on the palate without being overpowered by wood.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't have a lot of experience with wine barrel finishes but saw this at costco for $45 and was intrigued.
View attachment 1824375
You definitely get the dark fruit on the palate without being overpowered by wood.
So much material in this one quote.

Kidding aside, sounds like this is one to try.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stuck in a quarantine hotel for another 5 days due to re-entering China.....plastic cups will have to do.
View attachment 1825961
That ain't gonna last you five days, hope you have a backup somewhere.

All kidding aside, from the looks of it, one other benefit of being stuck in a hotel is you're forced to eyeball your pour, as opposed to using a shotglass.

KarlHungus

Reaction score

All kidding aside, from the looks of it, one other benefit of being stuck in a hotel is you're forced to eyeball your pour, as opposed to using a shotglass.
I brought a few backups.... :fistbump:
But actually trying (relatively speaking) to drink a bit less while I'm locked up
IMG_20220822_111456.jpg

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Funny, it’s never occurred to me to measure formally when I drink at home.

Featured Sponsor

What time of the year do you spend the most money on clothes?

• Spring

• Summer

• Fall

• Winter

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maloneylindaa