Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have yet to taste Beam. I have tried a lot of the small batch bourbons from the Beam distillery (Booker's, Baker's, Basil Hayden) and they are amongst my favorites, but have never tried plain Jim Beam.
    I hadn't either until a week or two ago when I visited my parents. Some neighbors brought over a bottle of Beam that had been around since the 70s! I gave it a whirl and though it was pretty good. Not great, but good. I have no idea if the age had anything to do with it, but still.

2. borderline

borderline Senior member

I hadn't either until a week or two ago when I visited my parents. Some neighbors brought over a bottle of Beam that had been around since the 70s! I gave it a whirl and though it was pretty good. Not great, but good. I have no idea if the age had anything to do with it, but still.

If you go Beam, go Beam Black.

3. sonick

sonick Senior member

If you go Beam, go Beam Black.

+1, IMHO Beam Black is a very underrated cheap bourbon. Miles better than the white for a buck or two more (at least locally).

4. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

Hey, I got a bottle of Michael Collins Single Malt Irish Whiskey for my birthday yesterday. It is unlike any Irish whiskey I'd had before. I highly recommend it.

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I found this particular Bourbon to be extremely disappointing. Bought the 350ml 'Baby' bottle.

Really thought it tasted a bit odd. I don't know much about how it is made but it tasted like there was too much corn in the mash perhaps?

Still have half a bottle sitting at my bar.

May have been the (lack of) age, from what I know, that's a very young bourbon. The four grain is very good.

6. drbossman

drbossman Active Member

GEORGE DICKLE

On the Rocks.

7. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

GEORGE DICKLE

On the Rocks.

dickel is not bourbon.

8. 0110x011

0110x011 Member

Eagle Rare on the rocks, or Pappy Van Winkle (any age I can afford) in a single malt glass or snifter.

Edit: Almost forgot Four Roses Small Batch. That I'll take any way.

9. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

i drank myself blackout style on woodford...Now my body makes me gag the moment it gets near me. I used to love it! What do I do, gentlemen?

10. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

i drank myself blackout style on woodford...Now my body makes me gag the moment it gets near me. I used to love it! What do I do, gentlemen?

Grow a pair?

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Switch to Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace. btw. Bulleit this evening after a long, rough day. Still cannot recommend this bourbon. It's nice but I want character.

12. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

Grow a pair?

And with a total of 5 balls, would I finally be able to enjoy my bourbon once again?

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Having some Michter's Bourbon right now. Must be a lot of corn in the mashbill, but that's a good thing in this case. Very nice.

14. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

This score was almost pr0n-worthy. In Memphis and walked over to the liquor store near my hotel to see if they had anything worth buying. Hit the Van Winkle motherlode. Bought a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 year old bourbon, bottle of the 12 year old Lot B, and a bottle of the 13 year old Rye. They had one bottle of each, and snagged all three for about $210. Needless to say, I was pretty stoked. Very hard to come by the 20 y.o., especially under $150 too. Having a glass of rye right now.

15. TheD0n

TheD0n Senior member

I had a sampling of Jefferson bourbon the other day in Chicago.

Pretty good stuff, not readily available though.